Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
Life Member of SCI, DSC, GSCO, HSC, NRA and FNAWS
Hunted
Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Chad, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Austria, France, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Turkey, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
This is a hunt my wife Debra and I have wanted to do for over 25 years. I had the Spanish Ibex Slam in the back of my mind for many years and hunted a nice Gredos Ibex nine years ago in Extremadurra, South of Madrid. Finally, with all of our children out of the house we are able to travel together more so while at DSC this past January I told my old friend Francisco Rosich that we need to make a plan for December. Debra and I would come a week or so early to hunt ibex, then our four children will join us for a driven partridge shoot and Christmas in Spain.

We were scheduled to fly DFW to JFK to Barcelona on Delta, so we checked in a little over 2 hours early and went to the lounge for some Last-minute work emails.

Not a half hour into the morning and I learned that the flight to JFK was delayed. A half hour later delayed even more so the Delta agent in the lounge started searching an alternative route for us. She was able to get us on a flight to Atlanta then Paris and finally to Barcelona.

The Paris flight was delayed an hour, but we still got to Paris with 2 hours to spare so off to the Air France lounge we went. A nice selection of food and drinks, to a much higher standard than what we had in the States.

When we got to Barcelona, we waited at the baggage carousel until it stopped, of course no luggage. Francisco met us outside and he said, “we have to get you some boots as you are scheduled to hunt Pyrenean Chamois first thing in the morning. So, off to a sporting goods shop we went, and I found something that would work, not perfect by any means.

After a nice visit by the fireplace with Joelle and Francisco we had a wonderful dinner of wild boar loin and salad, I was off to bed as we have an early morning.

Last edited:
Day 2

The weather is nice, in the mid to high 40’s at night so comfortable. I woke about 3 but fell back asleep and then woke at 5 to the alarm.

I had a cup of coffee with Francisco, and he fixed me up with a hat, coat, vest and gloves as it will be colder in the mountains.

My guide Geri showed up a little before 6 and we were on the road shortly thereafter. It was a foggy morning, and he had his concerns about the weather as he was cursed with rain and fog the last two weeks of hunting.

As the sun was rising and I caught an occasional glimpse of the Pyrenees Mountains it appears we would have better weather at the higher elevations.
Pyrenees Mtns 1.jpg

We met the game guard Enrique in a small town near the hunting area, Reserva Nacional de Caza Freser/Set Cases and the village of Ribes de Freser. We followed him up a mountain road and after a while we stopped at a switchback and offloaded there. We began to glass and immediately spotted several Chamois on the mountainside.

It was about 8:30 when we started our trek slowly moving up the mountainside. We would stop periodically to glass the small groups of Chamois we encountered. I can honestly say we didn’t go more than 20 minutes without spotting Chamois.

Along the trek we saw several groups of Mouflon on the mountain with some very nice males.
Enrique stopped three or four times and set the spotting scope to study the Chamois we saw but all were too young.

As we walked up the mountain and started to side hill, he motioned for us to sit down. Above us about 300 yards were five chamois feeding with no clue we were there. We studied them but found no suitable trophies. Just as we were going to start walking again, suddenly appeared below us about 250 yards a small group moved into sight as the fed across a flat bench.

Enrique set the scope and studied the group then said something to Geri in Spanish I didn’t understand but it seemed positive. Then Jerry said to me, “shoot the one on the front”. I had seen this Chamois in my binoculars and it looked very good, so I knew the animal.

Jerry slid his pack down to me, and Enrique moved it a little lower to a good shooting place. I slipped in behind the rifle and felt good.

There were two smaller ones behind then the chamois started to feed straight towards me. I told him I will wait until it turns broadside. When it did, I said ready I’m going to shoot. It was slightly quartering and an extreme downward angle, but I had a good position, so I squeezed the trigger on the 7 mm Remington Magnum and almost instantly heard the report of the bullet hitting. The chamois fell straight to the ground and never moved.
Pyrenees Mtns 2.jpg

We made our way down to the Chamois, a beautiful old female past her breeding age and very long horns. I was elated as this is my second chamois having hunted the Alpine last year in Austria.

Enrique suggested we eat something before skinning the trophy and making the trip back to the vehicle. Joelle had packed two types of cheese and three different dried sausages with some crackers. It was a beautiful day as I sat back and took in the beauty of the Pyrenees Mountains.
Pyrenean Chamois.jpg

After photographs and trophy preparation it was about 12:30 and we started our trek off the mountain. Along the way we saw a few mor Chamois and some Mouflon. We walked steadily only stopping once so I could tie my boot. A little after 2, we reached the vehicle and Enrique had some paperwork for me to sign. Then he led us to a small village in the mountains to a quaint restaurant for a hearty lunch. A traditional Catalan soup that had a clear broth with some pasta and chicken, vegetable and pork several ways. There was a pork loaf, like a large sausage without a skin, pig knuckles, pig ears and some shank meat. It was good but the ear had a unique consistency. Then they brought out braised pork cheek on French fries that was very good. Couple that meal with two beers and I slept the entire way back to Francisco’s Estancia!
Catalan Soup.jpg

Braised Pig Cheek
pig cheek.jpg

We arrived about sunset, and I had a shower before dinner. I couldn’t eat but a little salad and some wine after such a big lunch. We sat after dinner and visited until nearly eleven and called it a night. Tomorrow we are headed to the airport in Barcelona in hopes our luggage is there. There we are off to hunt Beceite Ibex.

Nice start of the report. Wmh! regarding the chamois.

Great report so far. Beautiful country. Looking forward to more!

One of my favorite places in the world to hunt and to play tourist. Heading back in '24. Very unlikely that you will ever take a taller chamois in Spain.

Thanks
One of my favorite places in the world to hunt and to play tourist. Heading back in '24. Very unlikely that you will ever take a taller chamois in Spain.
Thanks @Red Leg. We are already planning the next trip!

A great chamois, and good food !

Congrats :D Cheers:

Day 3

I woke about 5:30 and stayed in bed for a while saying my prayers. Around six I got up and went to the kitchen to check messages and have coffee. Holding hopes our luggage is at the airport then it is off to Villamermosa for Beceite Ibex. I have dreamed of this day for years and Geri tells me the local guides informed him the rut is in full swing and they have seen some very good males.

As I checked my email and the website there was no news from Air France and no new updates on the website but I believe the luggage is in Barcelona so we will go to the airport and check.

I took Debra coffee at 7 and we on the road at half passed eight. We hit a bit of traffic coming into the city but got to the airport just after 10. As we approached the desk where there was a sea of luggage, I did not see any of our bags. We waited in line about 15 minutes before someone helped us. She could find nothing in the computer but said she would call to the back and see if they could possibly track them down. She told us to sit, and she would come for us When they call her back. About 15 minutes past by and I saw a man taking a bag from the conveyor and I recognized it. I got up and walked over and there were out four bags. They had been in the back for who knows how long.

I sent Geri a message on whatsapp and we were out as quick as possible for the 4-hour drive South.

We arrived in a small village We were near the village of Montenejos a little after two and had a quick lunch. The local guide Jesus and one of his assistants Robel had been scouting all morning. They spotted a very big ibex early in the day, but he went over the mountain and disappeared. They were watching some smaller males and a few females. Jesus told Geri he would call if the big one appears, but Geri said “no, we will come for the last hour of the day”.

When we arrived near the small village of Cirat, Jesus was glassing from a location right off of the main road. He shows us a nice male with some females on the mountain. I thought he looked big enough, but Jesus said “no, he is nice but there was a very big one here today”. Geri and Jesus were talking and making a plan for tomorrow while Debra and I enjoyed watching the ibex rutting.

Suddenly, the conversation stopped, and Robel said to me “look, there is the big ibex -
You should Shoot him”. They pointed to the mountain side and quickly I caught movement and saw the Billy. A beautiful trophy and appeared to be very large to me. He was walking towards the females we had been watching and covered nearly a half mile in mere minutes. Jesus grabbed his Blaser R8 in 270 short mag and let me try the trigger. He had it set to precision, and it was very light, only ounces.

I said I was ready and off we went. Jesus is fit guy, built for the mountains so I did my best to keep up with Geri in tow. He stopped at a location where we could see across the river valley and the big male was with the females at 326 yards. They were calm, the females in the same place and the male a few yards away feeding.

I tried several locations to get comfortable and finally settled in on the ruins of an old rock wall.

The Billy was just below the two females, half covered by some bush. I got the crosshairs on him and asked Jesus if the scope was adjusted. He checked again and said yes. Geri said wait for him to clear the bush I want to see him once more before your shoot.

What seemed like an eternity was only a few minutes and he stepped from the bush and walked about 5 yards to feed on another tree. Geri said “ok, when you are ready just tell us”.

The Billy had his head and neck in the branches, so I cranked up the scope and could clearly see the shoulder. I told them I was going to shoot and settled the crosshairs on his shoulder. As I touched the trigger the 270 SAUM went off and I lost sight but could hear the report of the hit. They said he is down, went maybe 1 meter.

I was elated and Jesus immediately congratulated me and shook my hand as I said “muchas gracias mi Amigo”.
Beceite Ibex.jpg

As the sun had already set, we were losing light fast in the mountains so drove around and crossed the river by car then started up the mountain to the ibex. The terrain was brushy, rocky and steep. We soon realized it would be dark when I reached the Billy and Geri suggested Debra and I make our way back to the car while we still had some light.

It was dark by the time we got to the car and Jesus, Robel and Geri arrived about two hours later. I got my first close up look at my ibex and he is a grand old male, 16 years old with only four front teeth left. Certainly, we’ll past his prime and questionable if he would have survived the winter.

We reached the small hotel and had dinner then a cigar and whiskey to cap off the night. Tomorrow we will leave for Granada to hunt Ronda Ibex and the Sierra Nevada Ibex.

Day 4

I woke at 8AM, very refreshed after a solid night’s sleep. We met Jesus and Robel for coffee at the hotel and went to a place to photograph the ibex.
Villahermosa.jpg

We were on the road for a 7-hour drive South along the Mediterranean Sea. Passing through Valencia with miles of citrus farms along the highway, it amazed me that Spain is such a large agricultural producer. I guess it never occurred to me but seeing it firsthand was great.

A little after four we arrived at the small hotel at a winery about a half hour outside of Granada. A beautiful place with ancient olive trees all around the bodega.
Granada hotel 1.jpg

Granada hotel 2.jpg

After a quick trip into Granada for some supplies we were back at the hotel for a man early dinner. The city was decorated for Christmas and it was Friday evening so there were many people about shopping for the holiday.

Granada downtown.jpg

Back at the hotel, I had my favorite Spanish dish of cochinillo paired with a wine from the estate and it was outstanding. We called it a night early as we will be up at 6 to drive an hour to the hunting area for Ronda Ibex

Day 5

All remnants of jet lag are gone, and I feel refreshed and ready for the day. Geri met me for coffee, and we were off to meet Manolo, the manager of the hunting area. Geri spoke with him last night and he has been scouting the last days. The ibex are in the rut here as well and he has seen many animals.

We stopped at a small hotel and met up with Manolo for a coffee and muffin. Miguel, the local gamekeeper showed up a bit later with the tag and paperwork. After a nice visit we set off for the property. Manolo gets 8 tags per year and has taken several Ronda Ibex so far but has seen some good males recently. With the rut going on we were all optimistic.

The cloud cover was very low, so we had to wait a few hours for the fog to lift. So, we exchanged hunting stories and discovered we had some mutual friends.
R1.jpg

By 11:15 we could see the mountain tops, so we started our climb. For the next 4.5 hours we climbed into three valleys glassing for ibex. The climbing was challenging for me at times, but I took my time and went slowing using a stick. We encountered several groups but no mature males. In total we must have seen more than 30 males, females and young.
R 3.jpg

R 2.jpg

Manolo made the call to go to the other side of the property, so we headed back to the vehicle and drove for a half hour.

We entered the property and took a valley road straight into the mountains. As we glassed, Manolo spotted a group of Ibex far away so he set up the spotting scope. A very nice male was in this group, so we made a plan to attempt a stalk. It was after 5 so time was against us, but we made the climb. Manolo stayed below and watched the ibex and called several times to give us directions. This attempt proved unsuccessful as the perspective from the bottom was totally different and when we got on top the topography prevented us from seeing the group.

As the sun set Geri said we need to get off the mountain before dark and we started the descent. At the bottom, my knees were done, the mountain hunts are getting harder and harder for me, but I continue to try.

Back at the hotel, exhausted I took a shower and went to Debra. Another amazing meal of grilled veal tenderloin and another great Spanish wine. No dessert for me, it was a three advil night and off to bed.

What a wonderful start to a great hunt. With the exception of the missing luggage.

You have the most wonderful adventures. Sounds like a great start to the hunt. Looking forward to the rest of it.
Bruce

Day 3

I woke about 5:30 and stayed in bed for a while saying my prayers. Around six I got up and went to the kitchen to check messages and have coffee. Holding hopes our luggage is at the airport then it is off to Villamermosa for Beceite Ibex. I have dreamed of this day for years and Geri tells me the local guides informed him the rut is in full swing and they have seen some very good males.

As I checked my email and the website there was no news from Air France and no new updates on the website but I believe the luggage is in Barcelona so we will go to the airport and check.

I took Debra coffee at 7 and we on the road at half passed eight. We hit a bit of traffic coming into the city but got to the airport just after 10. As we approached the desk where there was a sea of luggage, I did not see any of our bags. We waited in line about 15 minutes before someone helped us. She could find nothing in the computer but said she would call to the back and see if they could possibly track them down. She told us to sit, and she would come for us When they call her back. About 15 minutes past by and I saw a man taking a bag from the conveyor and I recognized it. I got up and walked over and there were out four bags. They had been in the back for who knows how long.

I sent Geri a message on whatsapp and we were out as quick as possible for the 4-hour drive South.

We arrived in a small village We were near the village of Montenejos a little after two and had a quick lunch. The local guide Jesus and one of his assistants Robel had been scouting all morning. They spotted a very big ibex early in the day, but he went over the mountain and disappeared. They were watching some smaller males and a few females. Jesus told Geri he would call if the big one appears, but Geri said “no, we will come for the last hour of the day”.

When we arrived near the small village of Cirat, Jesus was glassing from a location right off of the main road. He shows us a nice male with some females on the mountain. I thought he looked big enough, but Jesus said “no, he is nice but there was a very big one here today”. Geri and Jesus were talking and making a plan for tomorrow while Debra and I enjoyed watching the ibex rutting.

Suddenly, the conversation stopped, and Robel said to me “look, there is the big ibex -
You should Shoot him”. They pointed to the mountain side and quickly I caught movement and saw the Billy. A beautiful trophy and appeared to be very large to me. He was walking towards the females we had been watching and covered nearly a half mile in mere minutes. Jesus grabbed his Blaser R8 in 270 short mag and let me try the trigger. He had it set to precision, and it was very light, only ounces.

I said I was ready and off we went. Jesus is fit guy, built for the mountains so I did my best to keep up with Geri in tow. He stopped at a location where we could see across the river valley and the big male was with the females at 326 yards. They were calm, the females in the same place and the male a few yards away feeding.

I tried several locations to get comfortable and finally settled in on the ruins of an old rock wall.

The Billy was just below the two females, half covered by some bush. I got the crosshairs on him and asked Jesus if the scope was adjusted. He checked again and said yes. Geri said wait for him to clear the bush I want to see him once more before your shoot.

What seemed like an eternity was only a few minutes and he stepped from the bush and walked about 5 yards to feed on another tree. Geri said “ok, when you are ready just tell us”.

The Billy had his head and neck in the branches, so I cranked up the scope and could clearly see the shoulder. I told them I was going to shoot and settled the crosshairs on his shoulder. As I touched the trigger the 270 SAUM went off and I lost sight but could hear the report of the hit. They said he is down, went maybe 1 meter.

I was elated and Jesus immediately congratulated me and shook my hand as I said “muchas gracias mi Amigo”.
View attachment 506701
As the sun had already set, we were losing light fast in the mountains so drove around and crossed the river by car then started up the mountain to the ibex. The terrain was brushy, rocky and steep. We soon realized it would be dark when I reached the Billy and Geri suggested Debra and I make our way back to the car while we still had some light.

It was dark by the time we got to the car and Jesus, Robel and Geri arrived about two hours later. I got my first close up look at my ibex and he is a grand old male, 16 years old with only four front teeth left. Certainly, we’ll past his prime and questionable if he would have survived the winter.

We reached the small hotel and had dinner then a cigar and whiskey to cap off the night. Tomorrow we will leave for Granada to hunt Ronda Ibex and the Sierra Nevada Ibex.
Fabulous old ram. The shadows play with the rings but looks to be around thirteen? That region is incredible. It has some of the lowest population density anywhere in Europe. The farmers and ranchers fled during the civil war in the thirties and never returned.

Fabulous old ram. The shadows play with the rings but looks to be around thirteen? That region is incredible. It has some of the lowest population density anywhere in Europe. The farmers and ranchers fled during the civil war in the thirties and never returned.
Thanks @Red Leg, the Billy was 16 years old. Jesus told me it is the oldest one taken in many years. Here is a picture of the mouth, only 4 teeth left and all loose. It may well have been his last Winter.
55D84E26-E47E-4EA8-8CC8-E8B03F5EB8C6.jpeg

You have the most wonderful adventures. Sounds like a great start to the hunt. Looking forward to the rest of it.
Bruce
Thanks Bruce, it has been a wonderful trip in a beautiful country. I look forward to having the rest of my family join me for Christmas.

Day 6

I was dead asleep when the alarm woke me at 7. Geri said we have a half hour drive to meet Alfonso in the area we will hunt the Sierra Nevada or what is sometimes referred to as the Southeastern Spanish Ibex.

I downed my coffee and grabbed my backpack, and we were off. As the sun rose, I could see the snowcapped Sierra Nevada Mountains with the Mediterranean Sea beneath us.
Sierra Nevada Mtns.jpg

There was an old road that went to the top of the Sierra Lagos, the mountain we will hunt today. Alfonso had been scouting all day yesterday and saw 3 very good mature males, so we followed him to the glassing place. Using his thermal binoculars, he scanned the area locating the ibex then checking with the binoculars.

We carried on and at the next place spotted some females and a very nice male at approximately 300 yards. Alfonso wanted to continue on, and we glassed from several other locations when it was decided we should go back and hunt the nice Billy we had seen. With the rut in full swing, he was traveling behind a female so we felt sure we could locate them.

After a couple of hours moving and glassing, we were changing places when we saw a wild boar running across the flat top of the mountain. Amazing as we are over a mile high and there are pigs at this altitude! Alfonso said the boar probably spooked the ibex and they moved across to the next valley.

We moved not 500 yards more and Geri spotted a female warming herself in the sun. We could not find the male, but she was calm, so we continued to look.

Finally, he showed himself right behind the female, so we got the rifle set and I took the shot. I was using Alfonso’s 338 Lapua, and the Billy was slightly quartering so I put the crosshairs a little forward and touched the trigger.

The nanny and Billy took off at a fast run and Alfonso said, “your shot him in the middle”. I said, “that’s not possible, I was completely still and, on the shoulder,”. After more than a hundred yards on a dead run the Billy fell over. Obviously, heart shot and running dead on his feet.

Congratulations and handshakes ensued then we went to the ibex. A beautiful male broomed a bit on one horn but 10 years old. A great trophy I am so honored to have collected.

Sierra Nevada Ibex 2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailca1r

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)