SOUTH AFRICA: KMG Hunting Safaris April 2016

Dinsdale

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
This would be my 4th trip to Africa (South Africa, Namibia, and Zimbabwe) and my 8th outfitter/PH used there and have been rather fortunate in being able to take some very good trophies along the way. I would guess I have used maybe 20 outfitters/PH/guides between Africa and the rest of the world hunting and fishing and can say although I have never had a horrible experience; there’s maybe a handful I would use again no questions asked….KMG and Marius is one of them.

Left JFK on April 2nd through to Port Elizabeth on the 3rd, hunting dates April 4-12, return to PE on 13th.

I pack light; gun case and ammo checked, carry on daypack and fanny pack for valuables/ on the truck....
IMG_0929_zpsmptbfxkx.jpg

Overnights on each end at The Windermere, very nice and I would stay there again. Located near the beaches and lots of places to eat. Should have booked more than 2 days in Port Elizabeth if doing it again as there wasn’t enough time to see all the sights I was interested in, next time.

This would be my first time to the Eastern Cape and it did not disappoint. Vegetation and terrain made for challenging, exciting hunting, and adding in the experience of Vallie hunting made it a trip I would love to repeat….but I think an Elephant hunt may be taking priority.

Primary goal was 2 Bushbuck and Blue Duiker, maybe Mountain Reedbuck and trophy Blesbok, whatever else came our way. Took a very nice Impala ram, and blew a shot on a Vaal Rhebuck at 300 yds (that one still hurts). Did some calling for Jackal and managed to take one of them also!

I also bought this hunt as advertised here; http://www.africahunting.com/threads/cull-hunt-package-with-free-non-hunter-or-hunter.25090/ ; not as a primary objective but to fill in along the way and do some fun hunting. Did take all the Black Wildebeest, 2 of the Blesbok, and one Springbok as a substitute in the end. Hunting was conducted fair chase at all times and proper stalks done on everything including the cull/management hunts.

Rifle permit and storage by Riflepermits.com; highly recommended. Left my gun in J’berg with flights going through Skukuza inside Kruger and into Sabi Sands, this made life easy. Did a little sight seeing in Sabi Sands area after the hunt, and was surprised at the daytime sightings of Leopard and Lion in a very relaxed state right beside the vehicles.

I used Esplande Travel in Boston for arranging transportation and non hunting related travel and service was top notch. (Used them for New Zealand in 2015 and they did an excellent job there too).Nothing like having someone with a board holding your name to wisk you through everything and not have to worry the details…..

Rifle; Blaser R93 in 300WBY (Swarovski rail mount 3-12x50) shooting 180gr Partitions. Everything was a pass through, no bullets recovered. Carried some Leica 10x42 trinovids, a bit heavy for hunting but worked good for birds later in my trip. Wished I had my lighter Swarovski 8x30 SLC’s along at times and would pack both doing it over.

Some trophy pics;

Marius had this ram on trail cam making it all the more special to target…..

DSC_0462_zpsjzxtvpr5.jpg

Blue Duiker using Marius’ O/U after I took a few patterning shots the night before. First shot clipped an achilles tendon and the second rolled her instantly a few yards later in the window behind me in the pics. Amazing little creature and this was on our first set up for the day. Walked in, cleared some shooting lanes and got comfortable with swinging the gun; in the meantime the handler walked the dogs to a starting point of the run, quickly the dogs start to bark when picking up a trail , and then to seeing some tiny legs picking their way though the undergrowth. Horns worn to the nubs.

Stars of the show...

IMG_0697_zpsvcuqalbx.jpg

IMG_0691_zpsrezcy5al.jpg

IMG_0832_zpst2yaasmk.jpg

The same morning of the Blue Duiker we visited another farm to target a trophy Blesbok and another Bushbuck and the trip did not disappoint!

Trophy Blesbok...

IMG_0703_zpsqy5s9h1e.jpg

I had buck fever so bad on this particular ram I couldn’t stop shaking; if that ever stops I will quit hunting, it was awesome….

IMG_0723_zpss6zzfozb.jpg

Impala….
DSC_0483_zpsq2p6rzj8.jpg

Mountain Reedbuck….
IMG_0742_zpswgryl3dh.jpg

Jackal set up…..
IMG_0842_zpsptssheoq.jpg

And the prize!.....
IMG_0803_zpsrnsxr0jc.jpg

Some various management pics….

Lloyd,Graham,Marius load a double....

IMG_0812_zpsg8eziqzk.jpg

First animal of the trip...

IMG_0640_zpsxig1iibk.jpg

Vaalie country, and set up on short notice as a bonus hunt, sorry my inept shooting let everyone down.…

IMG_0818_zpsukwoz0f7.jpg

I’d like to add I had the pleasure of meeting and hunting with Marius’ friend and PH Tertius Ferreira (on the right) along for the first part of the hunt, and wished he could have stayed longer. Outstanding company and a real gentleman.

IMG_0676_zpsfwar6vel.jpg

Graham; Mpunzi lodge manager/cook/PH and overall good guy for guiding on the double Black Wildebeest hunt……even though everyone said I missed the second one including…..

Lloyd, tracker/skinner/driver who we kept busy most days and needs a special thanks to handle them drums of bushpig bait, uhhhh…..

Co –owner of Mpunzi Lodge; Louw and wife Michelle who served some damn fine meals….

Marius’ wife Kim, who remembered to send along an Aero candy bar to snack on…..

And of course Marius Goosen; fine PH and someone I hope to spend time with on a future hunt. Cheers.

IMG_0848_zps9ps676ic.jpg

IMG_1550_zpsodiym6et.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0691_zpsrezcy5al.jpg
    IMG_0691_zpsrezcy5al.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0742_zpswgryl3dh.jpg
    IMG_0742_zpswgryl3dh.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0803_zpsrnsxr0jc.jpg
    IMG_0803_zpsrnsxr0jc.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0723_zpss6zzfozb.jpg
    IMG_0723_zpss6zzfozb.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0832_zpst2yaasmk.jpg
    IMG_0832_zpst2yaasmk.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0640_zpsxig1iibk.jpg
    IMG_0640_zpsxig1iibk.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0697_zpsvcuqalbx.jpg
    IMG_0697_zpsvcuqalbx.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0676_zpsfwar6vel.jpg
    IMG_0676_zpsfwar6vel.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0812_zpsg8eziqzk.jpg
    IMG_0812_zpsg8eziqzk.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0848_zps9ps676ic.jpg
    IMG_0848_zps9ps676ic.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_0462_zpsjzxtvpr5.jpg
    DSC_0462_zpsjzxtvpr5.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1550_zpsodiym6et.jpg
    IMG_1550_zpsodiym6et.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0818_zpsukwoz0f7.jpg
    IMG_0818_zpsukwoz0f7.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0842_zpsptssheoq.jpg
    IMG_0842_zpsptssheoq.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0703_zpsqy5s9h1e.jpg
    IMG_0703_zpsqy5s9h1e.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC_0483_zpsq2p6rzj8.jpg
    DSC_0483_zpsq2p6rzj8.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 214
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Thanks for sharing

Nice trophies and photos. Congrats on your hunt!

great trip by the sound of it with nice animals. Those bushbuck are very nice and would make any hunter happy.

another great job my marius and his crew.

Thanks for the report! Looks like a great time.

Dam fine bushbucks and Impala. I'll be there in one week to test out the bushpig pit and chase one of those great bushbucks for myself. Congratulations on a successful hunt.

Thanks for posting the report. Love the bushbucks.

Glad you had a great hunt with Marius.

Gotta say I love that blue duiker.

Next time...

Glad you had a great hunt.

Nice Report. Marius does not disappoint! Great job to you both!
Randy
PS. Love the bushbucks!

Dinsdale it looks like you had a great hunt sir! Congrats!

Congrats. . Love your bushbuck. Definitely on my hit list I ll be on the cape in 2 weeks

Awesome hunt! Love the pics! What a cool little duiker, you lucked out getting him on the first set up!

Too bad on the Vaalie. They are tough critters to hunt in every way.

This Bushbuck looks a little too familiar to me. hmmmmm.
I'm not sure I like you anymore.;)

IMG_0723_zpss6zzfozb.jpg

Dinsdale congratulations on some beautiful trophys!! I leave in one month to hunt with the KMG team, I have a bushbuck on my list and it looks as though that is a very good thing

Looks like you had a great time, congrats! My wife and I have our first Safari with KMG in 2017, it's going to be a long year.

Congrats on what appears to be a fantastic hunt. Love that Impala. Don't know why I like them so much, but they just look fantastic. Where was the jackal in the "prep" image? How far away was he?

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Congrats on what appears to be a fantastic hunt. Love that Impala. Don't know why I like them so much, but they just look fantastic. Where was the jackal in the "prep" image? How far away was he?

If you look really careful you can see the Foxpro caller hanging in a bush just left of center in that pic (small rectangle)......she came out where the tip of my gun barrel is at the brush line, moving right to left out of the valley to the right.

Distance was close, 30-35 yds.

It was the first set and I was laying prone of a platform, Marius laying beside but boots by my head. He called sparingly a few different sequences and she appeared on a string, right to the base of the caller and bang it was over.

That 300WBY wasn't too kind to the pelt. Tried to aim low to salvage something, I think we have enough for a short pedestal mount. Saved the tail and back attached.

I'm glad I didn't miss or I would have had to walk home (all the way to PE I'd guess), they don't like these guys much. LOL

We tried again to pick up the mate but we weren't able to get a response.

I've taken multiples of many "regular" plains game so any time I get to call, run dogs, see new country, or bait pigs is all interesting to me and adds to the experience, successful or not.

Congrats for a great hunt, very nice trophies too, specially that bushbuck !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antoun

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!