Mark Biggerstaff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I just want to share with you all about my dealings today with Bell and Carlson.

I found a crack the other day starting in my CZ 550 458 Lott. It has an AHR 2 makeover. I contacted Wayne and sent him picture. Basically it's in rear trigger guard screw area, running up into grip.
Basically unrepairable to be trustworthy.

Called Bell and Carlson this morning about a stock for it. No problem they said. Will even build to my LOP with decelerator pad, fill hollow area in butt and install a recoil reducer. Picked my color.
Talked to first customer service. Then techs who do the work and took order.
Lady from billing called for payment. Tech called to confirm order and said I will have with 2 weeks. Would have been sooner but with Holidays to allow an extra 4-5 days. All of this done within 1 hour of first call.

Talk about great customer service.
Also all for under $450 delivered

I just want to share with you all about my dealings today with Bell and Carlson.

I found a crack the other day starting in my CZ 550 458 Lott. It has an AHR 2 makeover. I contacted Wayne and sent him picture. Basically it's in rear trigger guard screw area, running up into grip.
Basically unrepairable to be trustworthy.

Called Bell and Carlson this morning about a stock for it. No problem they said. Will even build to my LOP with decelerator pad, fill hollow area in butt and install a recoil reducer. Picked my color.
Talked to first customer service. Then techs who do the work and took order.
Lady from billing called for payment. Tech called to confirm order and said I will have with 2 weeks. Would have been sooner but with Holidays to allow an extra 4-5 days. All of this done within 1 hour of first call.

Talk about great customer service.
Also all for under $450 delivered
That IS GREAT customer service! I've been contemplating buying one of their stocks for my CZ. This is good to hear.

Good to hear.
I have two of their Medallist stocks, on my 458WM and 7mmRM. While they may not be classic walnut, they've been 100% reliable and they fit me well.

IMG_20220904_141046_384.jpg
20220401_105535.jpg

I've got four of their stocks on various Winchester 70's, great product.

Compared to other custom stock companies, turnaround is lightning fast. I have three of their stocks on hunting guns, one is fifteen years old and still in good shape. They're one of the few that make a stock for a Remington Model 7, this one in .17 Fireball beating and banging around six times in RSA, varmint hunting.

17_fireball.jpg

Mark, do you know what the difference in weight will be between the original stock and the new stock? Heavier? Lighter?

They are not the lightest stocks, but for Africa appropriate calibers they are great, especially for the price.

I have one on my Ruger 9,3x62 and its way better than the original.

Mark, do you know what the difference in weight will be between the original stock and the new stock? Heavier? Lighter?

Yes. I basically do.
I had a BC CZ 550 standard stock. And had dropped the Lott in it. Weight came in 1.7 lbs lighter than my wood stock was. LOP was a 1/4 inch short for me and balance was off. Muzzle heavy. My original wood stock was balanced perfect. Wayne had added some weight to the buttstock and I am used to carrying the weight.
That's why I made a call to Customer Service. The butt is hollow and not solid.
They said they would add a reducer and fill to add back some weight to the butt and increase LOP to what I wanted.

I have used them on several rifle. Great customer service!

I had a CZ 550 in 458 Lott with a B&C for more then 25 years with at least 600 rounds down the barrel. Grandson has it now and it is still going strong.

Mark, I too am dubious if not downright fearful of what the "loss of weight" for the BC stock vs a wood stock is going to have on recoil. Do you know if additional weight can be added to a BC stock i.e. a mercury recoil reducer or simply a lead weight? I just opened my first box of 458 Lott ammo and immediately began to wonder if it was for a "crew-served" weapon or for something with wheels on it! LOL

Mark, I too am dubious if not downright fearful of what the "loss of weight" for the BC stock vs a wood stock is going to have on recoil. Do you know if additional weight can be added to a BC stock i.e. a mercury recoil reducer or simply a lead weight? I just opened my first box of 458 Lott ammo and immediately began to wonder if it was for a "crew-served" weapon or for something with wheels on it! LOL

If you have a non special order BC stock the recoil pads come screwed and glued on. You have to remove the screws and cut pad off basically.
BC will fill and Mercury reducer on special order. ( I asked for my LOP also)

If you already have a BC stock. From my understanding. You can call customer service and they will set you up to send it in and have them install the reducer and fill
Charge in actually minimal from what I understand.

They told me the stock that I had that was short could be lengthen and all that done to it also if I wanted send in. Time wise that would have taken longer than a new custom. So I just ordered a custom.
May send other stick in later for upgrades.

Mark, thanks again for your input. The custom B&C stock with a factory installed mercury recoil reducer or two, is most likely the way I'll go. My Ruger No. 1 in 416 Rigby has a Mercury recoil reducer and I can shoot it without any problems. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same thing about the Lott.

Nice! Your 458 looks like an interarms/Mark X? Did you put a second recoil lug on the barrel?

It's a Mk. X yes.
No I don't have a second lug. Only mods are a Model 70 style safety and barrel band.

Update for you all.

Bell and Carlson was even faster than originally said.
Received my stock built to my LOP
With Mercury tube installed yesterday!
Two weeks from day ordered to my door even with the holidays.
Will defiantly be buying more from them with custom work done.
IMG_7423.jpg

I have B&C's on my Ruger guide rifles in .450 Marlin, 7.62X57 HC and .358-375 Ruger (Top to bottom)... great stocks.
20231209_122111.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielSide

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone