Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Not sure if Condor will carry guns and how a transfer to get to Africa will work. Anyone looking at this option?

SAT is my home airport…
No Thanks. { cringe }
I prefer hub to hub method on bigger wide bodied jets with better carriers & nicer airports.
SAT is not IAH or DFW.
Condor is not Qatar Airways or Emirates, etc.
A330 is not a 787 or 777 or 747 or 380.
Why further crowd the already crowded runway slots @ FRA with so many point to point smaller planes?
Flying is not as cool as it used to be…

Not sure if Condor will carry guns and how a transfer to get to Africa will work. Anyone looking at this option?

From frankfurt to johannesburg there are at least 2 daily flights on lufthansa and possibly other airlines too

Flying is not as cool as it used to be…

Screenshot_20231111-084307-613.png

Condor accepts firearms at reasonable cost (free in business).

The problem will be changing airlines in Germany. This can be a nightmare with guns! I am happy to hear of new service however. More competition may help bring fares down in the future.

The Condor flights are three time a week, summers only for two years. SAT has a 2M backstop to get those flights. Austin has daily BA, Lufthansa and KLM flights. It’s not DFW or IAH, but it’s a shorter drive. And the BA flight is from T3 and JNB flight leaves T5, you need layover time for that flight.

Condor has codshare with Star Alliance so it will most probably be smooth.
If Condor is with Star Alliance it will be smooth sailing with a firearm if booked with either Lufthansa, Swiss, or South Africa Airlines out of Stutgart. Check your rifles at Houston and don't see them again till Joberg. I book with Air Canada, another Star Alliant airline, and it works for me. An overnight layover in Stutgart might be a problem with guns. I usually have a ten or eleven hour layover there in the airport. Inconvenient but better than an overnight stay in Joberg that the guys who direct flight out of Atlanta or Newark seem to run into. I've been advised to take the free shuttle bus to the opera house district in downtown Stutgart to kill the time but still haven't done it.

If Condor is with Star Alliance it will be smooth sailing with a firearm if booked with either Lufthansa, Swiss, or South Africa Airlines out of Stutgart. Check your rifles at Houston and don't see them again till Joberg. I book with Air Canada, another Star Alliant airline, and it works for me. An overnight layover in Stutgart might be a problem with guns. I usually have a ten or eleven hour layover there in the airport. Inconvenient but better than an overnight stay in Joberg that the guys who direct flight out of Atlanta or Newark seem to run into. I've been advised to take the free shuttle bus to the opera house district in downtown Stutgart to kill the time but still haven't done it.

You lost me. The Condor flight is San Antonio to Frankfurt. You mentioned Houston to Stuttgart, which is something different. I know Frankfurt is a major hub, but wasn’t aware Stuttgart was an option to connect to Africa.

You lost me. The Condor flight is San Antonio to Frankfurt. You mentioned Houston to Stuttgart, which is something different. I know Frankfurt is a major hub, but wasn’t aware Stuttgart was an option to connect to Africa.
Oops. Didn't have my morning coffee. I meant Franfurt. Texas is Texas, right? Flew through Stutgart my first trip I think.

FRA direct to WDH cuts out JNB for those Namibia bound..........might be an advantage......FWB

I think that any weapon traveling through Frankfurt would have to have a permit from Frankfurt's weapon authority. Firearms would not just seamlessly transit through.

Oops. Didn't have my morning coffee. I meant Franfurt. Texas is Texas, right? Flew through Stutgart my first trip I think.
Stuttgart doesn't offer direct connections to the continent.

I think that any weapon traveling through Frankfurt would have to have a permit from Frankfurt's weapon authority. Firearms would not just seamlessly transit through.
If coming from outside Schengen.

Mine traveled through Frankfurt more than once seamlessly without a permit but it is sounding very much like I was just lucky. I'll have my ducks in order next time!

(1) I don't believe that Condor is still part of Star Alliance, that was when it was owned by Thomas Cook.
(2) They do partner with Alaska Airlines. They do have an Interline agreement with Lufthansa.
(3) Guns - they accept them, but that regular cargo takes priority. Great way for your gun not to arrive on time. However, not much cargo to Europe out of SAT. It's not like Austin where the BA flights are packed with Dell cargo.
(4) Plane seats are tight in coach, business are lay-flat

San Antonio is outside the Schengen Area, as would be any African originating flight.
Sorry-unprecise from me, if transiting to or from a Schengen country-no transit permit is required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul 405

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.