Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
When you hunt Africa, do most of you prefer to find a new area or country, new terrain and new guide/outfitter, or stay with the one you've had good experiences with?

I had a great time on my first trip, but I'd love trying something new. New species, new country, different terrain, and new outfitter.

The reason I ask is I'm looking for Buff, Lechwe, LDE, Gemsbok and possibly Elephant. My guide was from RSA, but Botswana, the Caprivi strip, the Kafue flats and Cameroon are all appealing. Would it even be possible to find an outfitter that could do all these areas just to stay with someone you know and trust?

Ha! Struggling with the same decision now. I had a good time and know what I want this time if I return, but also want to chase a couple of other critters in a different environment. Leaning toward trying someplace new myself.

I like tried & true places (where I know that I can accomplish safe, satisfactory & enjoyable results) but also love hunting in new areas and new terrains. Someday, I dream of hunting in Ethiopia & Cameroon. Even though current political situations have practically killed off any potential sporting chances, it was always my dream to also hunt in Benin and Burkina Faso and the Belgian Congo.

It’s quite fascinating to see how the same game animals are hunted via completely different means in different parts of Africa. For instance, you will be quite surprised to learn the differences between hunting a leopard over bait in Zimbabwe and hunting one over hounds in Botswana.

As for guides, I generally prefer tried & true guides whom I have had pleasant experiences with. But I’m not religiously hard-set on this policy. I will happily turn to a new white hunter if the circumstances call for it.

After all, the old adage goes “Variety is the spice of life“.

I like tried & true places (where I know that I can accomplish safe, satisfactory & enjoyable results) but also love hunting in new areas and new terrains. Someday, I dream of hunting in Ethiopia & Cameroon. Even though current political situations have practically killed off any potential sporting chances, it was always my dream to also hunt in Benin and Burkina Faso and the Belgian Congo.

It’s quite fascinating to see how the same game animals are hunted via completely different means in different parts of Africa. For instance, you will be quite surprised to learn the differences between hunting a leopard over bait in Zimbabwe and hunting one over hounds in Botswana.

As for guides, I generally prefer tried & true guides whom I have had pleasant experiences with. But I’m not religiously hard-set on this policy. I will happily turn to a new white hunter if the circumstances call for it.

After all, the old adage goes “Variety is the spice of life“.
As usual, very well said!

I truly enjoy learning. As you said it is always nice to hunt with "tried and true" whom you know you'll enjoy hunting with, but then again you may miss out on the new techniques and perspectives offered by a new PH and crew, in a new land. I wish I had the time and resources to do it all.

Good question.
I have completed 5 trips and number 6 booked for 2024. Same outfitter and PH. We have become good friends and he knows all my health issues and has plans in place if needed. We have hunted his main farm in NorthWest, traveled to Limpopo and Kalahari region. I discus what I want to hunt and he arranges where ever we need to go. 2024 will see us up in the Limpopo hunting Hippo if all goes as planned.

I think this is a personal thing, and I think you can make a case for either/or. Some of our members are very passionate about one way or the other, as has come up in similar threads.

For myself, I have been ridiculously happy with who I hunted with on my two trips over (@GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS), and I will absolutely hunt with them again, particularly if I get to take people with me who haven't hunted Africa or have minimal hunting experience (and I have a few of them in mind) because I feel 110% confident in the experience they will have, their chances for success, and the level of care and attention they will receive. I am certain others offer great experiences; I cannot imagine anyone else does it better though.

That said, if I allow myself to dream, someday I'll get to pursue species I probably can't find there, so I'll be seeing new places for other types of animals, and the thought of that is exciting too.

And lest I have seem wishy-washy, my thoughts on Africa mirror what I do here in Alaska. I have a number of spots that I love to get back to as often as I can. They feel familiar - they feel like home. In my mind I can't possibly see them enough. At the same time I enjoy seeing new places. Last year it was Sitka for deer, and this year Kodiak for goats.

I guess in my mind if you truly enjoy hunting, and all of the peripheral stuff (stopping to smell the roses)... I don't think there's a wrong answer? Just my two cents, in a really crappy economy.

I like hunting new areas. I think you are missing out not seeing new areas and hunting with new PHs from that country. I do like going back and hunting with the same PHs again but not back to back. You learn something new with each hunt and each outfitter/PH that you don’t learn by repeating the same hunt. Each hunt you finish helps you pick your next hunt because you know more what you want and don’t want.
If a hunter really enjoys their first hunt and budget or other factors is a priority, I fully understand returning to the same outfitter again and again, but I see too often here hunters don’t know what they don’t know. Hunting South Africa is very different than Zimbabwe is very different than Cameroon. In some ways there is no comparison. You can’t compare until you’ve experienced hunting in several different areas with several different outfitters. I think too many get stuck in the idea they found the best and never branch out.

I’m not sure why you write this about Cameroon and Ethiopia. Hunting occurs in both. Cameroon Savanna is actually easy to book. Ethiopia requires more advance planning.
Please read my comment again. I know about Cameroon and Ethiopia currently allowing hunting (even though I’m yet to hunt in either of these regions). Which is why I mention that it’s my dream to hunt in these places SOMEDAY.

When I refer to dream hunting locations of mine WHERE HUNTING IS NO LONGER POSSIBLE, I refer to Benin & Burkina Faso & the Belgian Congo. That’s why I mention that it WAS my dream to hunt in these places.

The reason I ask is I'm looking for Buff, Lechwe, LDE, Gemsbok and possibly Elephant. My guide was from RSA, but Botswana, the Caprivi strip, the Kafue flats and Cameroon are all appealing. Would it even be possible to find an outfitter that could do all these areas just to stay with someone you know and trust?
I just noticed the last line you wrote. There are outfitters that could offer all those hunts but most cases they are just acting as agents/observers and the local PH/outfitter is actually conducting the hunt. If you choose to hunt those areas I think it would be a mistake not to hunt with an outfitter based in that country and hunting the area full time.

When you hunt Africa, do most of you prefer to find a new area or country, new terrain and new guide/outfitter, or stay with the one you've had good experiences with?

I had a great time on my first trip, but I'd love trying something new. New species, new country, different terrain, and new outfitter.
In my opinion and experience you can do both. on each of my safaris i have hunted different countries and areas. at the end of the day i choose to go back to my favorite for one of my most important hunts to me which is leapord to my favorite family which is TSALA. i have so enjoyed different places with different people. To me my leopard is the most important animal to me…just to me probably not other people and i am just more comfortable trusting it to someone i have hunted with before and whom i am very comfortable with

I think this is a personal thing, and I think you can make a case for either/or. Some of our members are very passionate about one way or the other, as has come up in similar threads.

For myself, I have been ridiculously happy with who I hunted with on my two trips over (@GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS), and I will absolutely hunt with them again, particularly if I get to take people with me who haven't hunted Africa or have minimal hunting experience (and I have a few of them in mind) because I feel 110% confident in the experience they will have, their chances for success, and the level of care and attention they will receive. I am certain others offer great experiences; I cannot imagine anyone else does it better though.

That said, if I allow myself to dream, someday I'll get to pursue species I probably can't find there, so I'll be seeing new places for other types of animals, and the thought of that is exciting too.

And lest I have seem wishy-washy, my thoughts on Africa mirror what I do here in Alaska. I have a number of spots that I love to get back to as often as I can. They feel familiar - they feel like home. In my mind I can't possibly see them enough. At the same time I enjoy seeing new places. Last year it was Sitka for deer, and this year Kodiak for goats.

I guess in my mind if you truly enjoy hunting, and all of the peripheral stuff (stopping to smell the roses)... I don't think there's a wrong answer? Just my two cents, in a really crappy economy.
my first safari was with Game 4 Africa and it was awesome…a truly great family and experience!

Check if your lodge owner or PH has a license for another country. Mine in Eastern Cape often takes clients to Zimbabwe. And I have traveled to North Cape to hunt with my PH. Very different country and some different species.

Check if your lodge owner or PH has a license for another country. Mine in Eastern Cape often takes clients to Zimbabwe...
I really doubt if he has a Zim PH license unless he was a Zim resident at one time and went through the licensing process (takes less time to get a college degree), most likely he takes the clients to hunt with a Zim PH.

Good question.
I have completed 5 trips and number 6 booked for 2024. Same outfitter and PH. We have become good friends and he knows all my health issues and has plans in place if needed. We have hunted his main farm in NorthWest, traveled to Limpopo and Kalahari region. I discus what I want to hunt and he arranges where ever we need to go. 2024 will see us up in the Limpopo hunting Hippo if all goes as planned.

Yep. Same.

We’ve hunted with different outfitters in the past, but found someone we like and trust (who has become a dear friend) and have stuck with him for the last 5 trips. We really enjoy their properties.. but have traveled north to the Botswana border for croc.. south for an incredible buff hunt.. and have talked about possibly hitting either Limpopo or KZN next year just for a change of scenery… we’ve also talked about hunting with the same PH/Outfitter in Botswana…

We may change locations in RSA… but won’t be changing outfitters/PH..

Check if your lodge owner or PH has a license for another country. Mine in Eastern Cape often takes clients to Zimbabwe. And I have traveled to North Cape to hunt with my PH. Very different country and some different species.
Your PH likely isn’t licensed in Zim unless he was born there and/or a resident for 10 years before going through the licensing. There are some legal nuances to doing this. I don’t know your PH or how he does hunts there so I’m not saying he is but MANY South African PH’s take hunters up to Zim and if they’re acting as a PH in any manner while not licensed in Zim they’re doing so illegally. If hunting is conducted out of a vehicle not licensed in Zim, it’s illegal. There are a lot of other laws that come into play which make it very hard for a non Zim licensed PH to do more than act as an agent, and accompany as an observer.

As for the OP’s question; I’ve done both. Personally I like hunting new areas and countries. I want to hunt a species in their native habitat not where they’ve been introduced. As mentioned above there are some legal nuances in certain countries. There are PH’s and Outfitters I really like and would 100% hunt with again in other areas IF they have experience there. There are others I liked but wouldn’t hunt with again unless it was in their areas. There’s only 1 outfitter (South African) that I wouldn’t hunt with again (if I was paying). I believe everyone needs to experience a different outfitter and PH at least once. See a different camp, country, etc. It’s also interesting to see how your same outfitter/ph is in a different area (especially somewhere they’ve never hunted). Even better is seeing how your PH works with another outfitter/ph if they’ve arranged for you to hunt a specific animal somewhere else (especially for the time). It’ll really sheds some light on their skill). Doing a different area, or different outfitter on the same trip is actually really cool and lets you better understand what you like and don’t like, and more importantly what really matters to you.

For background I’ve hunted with 10 different African Outfitters, 11 PH’s, across 3 different countries. In Namibia I’ve hunted 2 different areas (same Outfitter & PH), in Zimbabwe 2 different areas (2 PH’s, 1 Outfitter), and in South Africa I’ve hunted 5 of the different Provinces (some multiple times, but all with different outfitters/PH’s). Some of the South African trips my outfitter/ph coordinated a couple days with another outfitter targeting certain species in their native habitat which he didn’t have.

Short answer @skydiver386 book a hunt with a different outfitter, in a different country. You won’t regret it. You can ask your original outfitter/ph for recommendations. I’ve had a cameraman on 2 of my hunts and they get to hunt all over the continent. They’re an amazing resource for outfitter/ph recommendations.

Both. I like new areas and new countries and same countries and familiar areas. I have used same PHs several times but I also like making new PH/outfitter acquaintances.

Last edited:
Seams I am opposite of @Mark Biggerstaff, 5 trips, 5 different outfits, 3 countries and maybe 10 PH's. SA we were all over and we used the farm PH not outfit I booked with and in Namibia we had a PH in training along.

I follow the species that I want to hunt, it usually dictates the place/country, then the type of hunt and then the price dictates rest. I embrace and enjoy change, seeing different places, people, countries, hunt styles and species. Leopard in Namibia, ele and buff tracking in Zim are much better, affordable and different than other countries but CBL, lechwe, and a few glamor species are priced attainable in SA, (for me).

I cannot even imagine going to same Country, farm, place over and over. Variety is my spice of life. There is a PH I will hunt again with. I will follow Wayne @NYAMAZANA SAFARIS in Zim again some day.

MB

Your PH likely isn’t licensed in Zim unless he was born there and/or a resident for 10 years before going through the licensing. There are some legal nuances to doing this. I don’t know your PH or how he does hunts there so I’m not saying he is but MANY South African PH’s take hunters up to Zim and if they’re acting as a PH in any manner while not licensed in Zim they’re doing so illegally. If hunting is conducted out of a vehicle not licensed in Zim, it’s illegal. There are a lot of other laws that come into play which make it very hard for a non Zim licensed PH to do more than act as an agent, and accompany as an observer.

As for the OP’s question; I’ve done both. Personally I like hunting new areas and countries. I want to hunt a species in their native habitat not where they’ve been introduced. As mentioned above there are some legal nuances in certain countries. There are PH’s and Outfitters I really like and would 100% hunt with again in other areas IF they have experience there. There are others I liked but wouldn’t hunt with again unless it was in their areas. There’s only 1 outfitter (South African) that I wouldn’t hunt with again (if I was paying). I believe everyone needs to experience a different outfitter and PH at least once. See a different camp, country, etc. It’s also interesting to see how your same outfitter/ph is in a different area (especially somewhere they’ve never hunted). Even better is seeing how your PH works with another outfitter/ph if they’ve arranged for you to hunt a specific animal somewhere else (especially for the time). It’ll really sheds some light on their skill). Doing a different area, or different outfitter on the same trip is actually really cool and lets you better understand what you like and don’t like, and more importantly what really matters to you.

For background I’ve hunted with 10 different African Outfitters, 11 PH’s, across 3 different countries. In Namibia I’ve hunted 2 different areas (same Outfitter & PH), in Zimbabwe 2 different areas (2 PH’s, 1 Outfitter), and in South Africa I’ve hunted 5 of the different Provinces (some multiple times, but all with different outfitters/PH’s). Some of the South African trips my outfitter/ph coordinated a couple days with another outfitter targeting certain species in their native habitat which he didn’t have.

Short answer @skydiver386 book a hunt with a different outfitter, in a different country. You won’t regret it. You can ask your original outfitter/ph for recommendations. I’ve had a cameraman on 2 of my hunts and they get to hunt all over the continent. They’re an amazing resource for outfitter/ph recommendations.
I just presumed he was licensed. He's been in the business too long to risk doing anything illegal. He puts the hunts on their website/Facebook so I'm sure it's on the up and up. I'm not interested in crocks and hippos so never been a part of that operation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dagasbet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.