Ruger Safari Magnum Project

I was hoping to shoot the thing before the last of the work is done but I was in the wrong end of a hunting accident the other day, took friendly fire, so my plans have been delayed; bummer.
Hope you're okay. Care to share some instructive details?

Hope you're okay. Care to share some instructive details?
Here's a lesson on not letting complacency set in after hunting for many years. The short story is that I was hunting pheasants with 3 buddies over 4 dogs; we've hunted together for over 30-years. I shot a bird that my dog pointed and it went down like a rock. All the dogs went for it but I called mine off to go re-work another field. Unbeknown to me the bird found some life when the dogs approached but could not gain much altitude. It flew past one of my buddies who broke a cardinal rule; do not shoot flat across a field. I had stopped to piss and got shot head to waist on my right side.

Here's a lesson on not letting complacency set in after hunting for many years. The short story is that I was hunting pheasants with 3 buddies over 4 dogs; we've hunted together for over 30-years. I shot a bird that my dog pointed and it went down like a rock. All the dogs went for it but I called mine off to go re-work another field. Unbeknown to me the bird found some life when the dogs approached but could not gain much altitude. It flew past one of my buddies who broke a cardinal rule; do not shoot flat across a field. I had stopped to piss and got shot head to waist on my right side.
Wow! Hope you recover well.
I had a few choice words with another dove hunter who shot low, pellets hit my face, but the range was far enough for no real injury. It's a pissy situation.

Best to you for healing.

Charles

PXL_20231109_225830806.jpg
decided to bitter the bullet and shoot this thing even though I'm hurting a bit from the birdshot, mama is not happy with this decision but .... Feels great! Shoots great!

It's been a while since I've been able to report some progress; I've today picked up the Sows Ear from the 'smith. It still needs to be blued and there are some minor things that need to be addressed but it is back together and ready to shoot.View attachment 567791View attachment 567789View attachment 567788View attachment 567787View attachment 567792
Good lord that things looks amazing! I want mine to look like that. The case hardening and the stock make it look like a custom shop rifle.

Which of these options did you take? 1. Kick the offender in the balls...
2. Take his gun off him, permanently...
3. Permanently throw him out of the shooting group ...
4. Make him walk home ...

Which of these options did you take? 1. Kick the offender in the balls...
2. Take his gun off him, permanently...
3. Permanently throw him out of the shooting group ...
4. Make him walk home ...
He's doing a pretty good job of kicking himself.

Good lord that things looks amazing! I want mine to look like that. The case hardening and the stock make it look like a custom shop rifle.
I am happy with the way it is turning out. When I started this project I said that many people would be of the opinion that putting a lot of money into modifying a perfectly good RSM is, let's say, unwise. It likely is unwise considering I probably couldn't break even if sold. The thing is I get a lot of enjoyment in taking a vision and making it reality. I'm glad you appreciate the result.

I am happy with the way it is turning out. When I started this project I said that many people would be of the opinion that putting a lot of money into modifying a perfectly good RSM is, let's say, unwise. It likely is unwise considering I probably couldn't break even if sold. The thing is I get a lot of enjoyment in taking a vision and making it reality. I'm glad you appreciate the result.
You did a fine job, and the Ruger rifle was a solid platform to put your money in! Two Thumbs Up

What kind of finish did your stockmaker do to the stock? You've got me thinking! I'd like to add the inletted sling swivel to mine. I'm already adding the red recoil pad, having the stock pillar bedded, and adding a second recoil cross bolt.

I have owned a few rms's over the years. Ruger used the same barrel profile for 375-458lott. Weight was over built on the 375.
I rebarreled one to 404 Jeffery and the other did a similar weight reduction on the stock. I hadn't thought about using a windows peak. That is a classy touch, nice job. Gun fit is different for each shooter. And the more the recoil goes up the more critical the fit is for a good shooting experience.

I like what yo have done with yours, enjoy it and shoot straight and often.

Very nice. Not intending to be intrusive , but in thinking about some of your modifications, it would be interesting to know what they each cost so others of us with RSM’s might better consider similar alterations.

Very nice. Not intending to be intrusive , but in thinking about some of your modifications, it would be interesting to know what they each cost so others of us with RSM’s might better consider similar alterations.
I did keep a spreadsheet but I'm at the cabin now and don't have it with me; however, the total, including rifle, scope and rings is about $7500 at this point, hasn't been rust blued yet.

This is what I have in it so far; there are still a couple things to do the costliest of which is the rust bluing.

1. Cost of the unmodified RSM, $2530.00
2. Parts (NECG front sight, Bedding Pillars, Swivel bases, screws, etc ) $350.38
3. Install front sight, Pillar Bedding, Ebony Fore-end tip, $615.00
4. Checker and jewel bolt handle. $309.00
5. Case color shroud, bolt release, bottom metal, grip cap. $250,00
6. Gold plate trigger, sear and floorplate latch. $85.37
7. Reshape stock, checker, recoil pad. $1520.00
8. QD scope rings. $179.99
9. Leopold VX-6HD 1-6x24mm FireDot scope. $1302.29

I likely could not break even on many of my rifles. :). Buy high and sell low—it’s my mantra. Enjoy it!

Rifle is back at the 'smiths now for the final work, at least I think the final work. Other that the mundane finish items that I've already identified I have some ideas about the recoil system I want to explore. Stay tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IgnacioPen

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone