AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Cameroon
I just finished a very short but good hunt with @HUNTROMANIA for fallow bucks. I took the offer posted here on AH and hunted October 21 and 22. I booked the 23rd as well but it wasn’t needed. We finished on the second morning. I flew into Bucharest and hunted near Scornicesti in Southern Romania. Hunting area was excellent. The deer were heavily concentrated in the forest. Marius said the rut was delayed slightly from last year, but rutting activity was still very high. You could hear fallow deer grunting in all directions and occasional fights. The density of deer in area was very high. The director of the hunting club said there were 400 deer but it felt like many more. I think their count was low. The area was 8000 hectares of which 2000 hectares was oak forest, almost an island in the agriculture that held the deer. I took 3 bucks, two nice trophies and a very old buck. I used Marius’s Blaser R8 in 9.3x62 and shots were around 100 yards from sticks. I also saw roe buck (not in season) and jackals but never got a shot.
Scornicesti appears to have seen better days, but there is some very interesting history to the area and hunting area. Scornicesti was where Romania’s former communist leader was born. He hunted this hunting area for fallow deer himself. The hotel I stayed at was built for him as was the lodge in hunting area in the 1980s. Today, there are several major construction projects that appear to be keeping the area afloat, but it’s not a tourist area. The fallow deer hunting there was great however.
I’m really glad I got to experience this hunt, it’s unique compared to any other deer hunt I’ve done because fallow deer are so active during rut, but my next hunt will be for roe deer or red stag. The density of fallow deer is very high and the local game ranger knows the bucks by sight almost immediately so this hunt goes very fast. Fallow bucks establish their own territory and wallows, so their general location is known. I’d have liked to gone slower and glass more to learn more about fallow deer but there is also a need to not disturb the area more than necessary and push the bucks out. This hunt needs paired with another hunt or other plans to justify the travel for an American in my opinion. Marius had discussed pairing this with a chamois hunt when I booked, but I chose not to. We also discussed hunting before October 15 to combine with roe deer but I wanted to experience peak rut dates for fallow. I realize after this hunt my favorite aspect of roe deer hunting is being able to hunt slowly and take everything in for all the days booked. Everything on this hunt was organized well and Marius was very good to deal with. I’ll hopefully return for a roe deer hunt in the future with HuntRomania. I’d like to see northern or western Romania next time.

Buck 1
IMG_2701.jpeg
IMG_2703.jpeg

Buck 2
IMG_2706.jpeg
IMG_2704.jpeg

Buck 3
IMG_2707.jpeg

Roe deer
IMG_2716.jpeg

Fallow buck
IMG_2715.jpeg

IMG_2710.jpeg
IMG_2709.jpeg
IMG_2708.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

That sounds like a great time. Perhaps combining it with some touring would be worthwhile. They have pretty extensive wine country in addition to the mountains and castles.

Nice Fallow. Congrats and good shooting. Fallow have been on my wish list for a while.............
Bruce

Congratulations on your hunt. I’ve never had much interest in fallow deer, but it seems like HUNTROMANIA provides some quality hunting.
I can’t say I have a large interest in hunting them elsewhere, but hunting them in Europe where they’ve essentially become native game is a very good hunt. These deer were every bit as wild as any other deer species I’ve hunted and fit perfectly into their environment. The bit of history associated with it makes it an even better hunt. I got the weights just now from Marius as well. The two trophy bucks weighed 3.55 and 3.59 kgs. The old buck was obviously under 3 kgs at 2.26 kgs.

Cool hunt and good report. Congratulations

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

I enjoyed your report. Previously I had asked my Romania contact for info on a Fallow hunt but still haven't heard back. HUNTROMANIA may get my business.
There is plenty to do, even around Bucharest. I'm sorry you didn't get that opportunity.
Romania is beautiful.

I enjoyed your report. Previously I had asked my Romania contact for info on a Fallow hunt but still haven't heard back. HUNTROMANIA may get my business.
There is plenty to do, even around Bucharest. I'm sorry you didn't get that opportunity.
Romania is beautiful.

I agree. What we saw of the country is amazing. We stayed in Oradea, a stunning town near the Hungarian border. I hope to your Transylvania in 2025 on my return.

So based on the weight of your two large trophies what was your finals trophy fees?
Thanks
Don

So based on the weight of your two large trophies what was your finals trophy fees?
Thanks
Don
It was 25 euro/10 grams over 3 kgs, so an extra 2850 euro on the two bucks about $3100 depending on exchange rate.

Last edited:
Romania is beautiful.
I should add as well I’m just not a good tourist. I enjoy going to different places to hunt that really that’s it. I’m always a bit jealous of those that can pull more from the overall experience than me but I’ve never particularly enjoyed seeing cities. This would be a really good hunt for you. Marius was very good with communication. However, he did say they raised prices on him this year so next year will be more.

There was a place outside of Bucharest, I'm sorry I cannot recall the name, that was a multi-acre outdoor facility that held actual Romania homes and buildings from many locations about the country and from hundreds of years ago. It was a walking, self-guided tour with most of the signage in many languages. You can see as much or as little as you want. This was the first place we toured on our first morning and was a great way to shake off jet lag. I was fascinated by the worksmanship found throughout this outdoor museum.

I've had trouble lately posting photos and today is no exception. I'm sorry. However, should you get back, this may be something you enjoy.

Aside from that, we toured the presidential palace which held fallow deer skulls which were not nearly as large as yours! Congrats!

I will certainly keep HUNTROMANIA in mind for our next trip to Romania. It does look like a nice hunt.

Those are some very nice fallow bucks @375Fox ! Waidmannsheil and thanks for telling your story!

Glad you had a nice trip. I used Marius 9.3x62 in September to harvest a Red Stag.

Marius seems to run a good outfit

There was a place outside of Bucharest, I'm sorry I cannot recall the name, that was a multi-acre outdoor facility that held actual Romania homes and buildings from many locations about the country and from hundreds of years ago. It was a walking, self-guided tour with most of the signage in many languages. You can see as much or as little as you want....

It is called "Muzeul Satului" which loosely translates as "The Villages Museum".

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
The wood houses from Transylvania are especially impressive since they were built without any nails (I.e. forged nails as they were at the time).

Super cool. Thanks for posting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zodiacvista

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone