Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

Velo Dog: I also love the Timex Expedition and have been wearing one for over 20 years — actually I’ve owned about 8-9 of them. Loved them for hunting because they were light weight, thin, waterproof, had an Alarm feature, and illuminated in dark for easy reading. They also use to last me 4-5 years before battery went dead and for $30 I’d just buy a new one. Now, they are still around $35 (Walmart) but I’m lucky if I get a year out of one - battery dies, “Indiglo light” fails, or they just stop. They seem to have deteriorated from a cheap-good-reliable Watch to just Cheap. I might have to switch to “Casio”. I remember in the 1960s their TV commercials use to say “Timex, it takes a lickin and keeps on ticking”…..now, if you lick it - it stops !
Hi HankBuck,

I’m sorry to learn that your Timex watch batteries are failing within approximately one year.
Perhaps I’ve just been lucky.
The first one I had, was still running perfectly after about 5+ years.

Admittedly, I shut it off when not wearing it.
In my specific case, that means the watch wasn’t running most of the time.
Sadly though, I have misplaced it, who knows where.
But again, it was still running perfectly when I last wore it.:ROFLMAO:

The replacement one I finally caved in to buy, ($40. US dollars here in Alaska) is still running for about 2 years now.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Don't particularly care for people that tell me how I should spend my money.

On the other hand, why would you need to know what time it is if you don't have cell service?

DB

The Poseidon Neptune. Not the planet :LOL:
IMG_3618.jpeg

I've seen some beautiful Rolex's. One of the few Mandatory needs for work, is a wristwatch.
Citizen: White face, easy to see @ night, gets abused & those aren't cheap.

Macy's 15yrs ago, I did snag this though.
Who else Makes Luxury Watches?

View attachment 592014
Daniel: Congratulations !! That is by far the most ”pretentious“ watch I’ve ever seen…. Love the band too as is SCREAMS “look at Me - I wear Hugo Boss !!”. It’s a $30 watch that sold for more because HB allowed its name to be used. But, if you like it and it keeps the time — ignore my stupid remarks….I wear a Timex so rest assured I wouldn’t know “class” if it came in a bottle !

Hi HankBuck,

I’m sorry to learn that your Timex watch batteries are failing within approximately one year.
Perhaps I’ve just been lucky.
The first one I had, was still running perfectly after about 5+ years.

Admittedly, I shut it off when not wearing it.
In my specific case, that means the watch wasn’t running most of the time.
Sadly though, I have misplaced it, who knows where.
But again, it was still running perfectly when I last wore it.:ROFLMAO:

The replacement one I finally caved in to buy, ($40. US dollars here in Alaska) is still running for about 2 years now.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Velo, I might need to come up to Alaska to buy my next Timex - you seem to be getting ones with “fresh batteries” or those watches are leftovers from the 1990s (last time I owned a good one).

Bertucci looks like a nice watch. What features are you talking about?

Really, just the fact that the band doesn't actually attach to the watch. You don't have to worry with the spring-loaded pins, which are subject to fail.

I wear a Seiko A4, self winder. My youngest son purchased it for a Christmas present for the Dad. I will not wear a watch in the shop though. I wore this all day on my first safari. came in handy sitting in a blind waiting on bush pigs to show up. Two nights in a row the boars were a no show. The next night we fooled them, we didn't show. Needs some time in the day to charge up the figures, but they stay lit all night. Really like this watch. Used to have a Doxa, black Shark Hunter with US Divers logo. Tempermental, until stolen!

This is my opinion, but the reason for the current state of the Rolex market is a confluence of factors.

Rolex can only produce so many watches. They are by far the most well known brand and currently sell every watch they produce. They do produce a very high quality product, and from an in house movement stand point, are considered to be in the upper tier. They are nowhere near the best or most innovative. What they own is a brand name that carries the most known and recognized association with success. Average, non watch geeks, associate Rolex with ‘making it’ and wealth. People usually purchase a Rolex as a gift to themselves for crossing a personal milestone. It’s a symbol of achievement.

Now given the above let’s look at the market. Money was cheap for way too many years. Because of this a lot of wealth was made and luxury items were purchased during these times. This keep Rolex sales at record highs. This kept the used market at or slightly below MSRP on all except their most popular collections. Three years ago the reality of too many dollars chasing to few goods hit us. This effected the Rolex market in a few ways.

We had a general Rolex buying frenzy like the COVID TP shortage. This was also exacerbated by people with cash looking to tie it up in goods that road with inflation. This caused ADs supplies to dwindle and drove the used market to higher than MSRP prices and on some collections to more than double. This type of profit brought speculators into the market, further driving prices on used watches up. Finally ADs realized they could get premium dollar on everything that wasn’t nailed down and took advantage of this where they could.

The average watch buyer, who wasn’t aware of this, goes to purchase a Rolex and finds out his money is no good at an AD. Then gets a rude awaking that the used NIB Rolex Pepsi GMT, on the open market, is twice MSRP.

This issue didn’t only affect Rolex. It also effected AP and Patek Philippe as an example.

The watch market is starting to go into recession. The speculator that came in late is going to start to be sitting on watches, like a ticket scalper in the 3rd inning of a game. Both new and used are starting to correct. Rolex will come back to MSRP on the majority of it watches unless the money supply is freed up again. ADs, well some are always going to be a**holes.

-jm2c

Now we're talking about tax dodge investing. Yes, art, watches, antiques, etc. are easily (sometimes) liquidated without the all-seeing eye of the IRS. Capital gains go into the pocket. Personally, I don't have a problem paying my taxes on dividends and sales of investments. It's part of my civic duty. The price of living in a free country. I'll pay my part of the bill to protect freedom and crush terrorism.
Who says people that sell watches don’t pay taxes on them. Bit of a generalization don’t you think?

I’ve seen many investment guys get dinged for not following the rules

Daniel: Congratulations !! That is by far the most ”pretentious“ watch I’ve ever seen…. Love the band too as is SCREAMS “look at Me - I wear Hugo Boss !!”. It’s a $30 watch that sold for more because HB allowed its name to be used. But, if you like it and it keeps the time — ignore my stupid remarks….I wear a Timex so rest assured I wouldn’t know “class” if it came in a bottle !
No, it's okay. served in a pinch for work though.
I've wasted on worse, .. "Safety glasses & a $20 pair from Kohl's, daily"
1709998270835.png

Last edited:
Now we're talking about tax dodge investing. Yes, art, watches, antiques, etc. are easily (sometimes) liquidated without the all-seeing eye of the IRS. Capital gains go into the pocket. Personally, I don't have a problem paying my taxes on dividends and sales of investments. It's part of my civic duty. The price of living in a free country. I'll pay my part of the bill to protect freedom and crush terrorism.
You're paying to keep giving away your freedoms bit by bit

Amigos y Amigas,

I don’t know why I like this thread so much but indeed, I do ….. indeed and indeed.
That said, old Velo Dog generally does not wear a watch.
However, when I do bother to wear one, it is a humble Timex, Expedition Model.:barefoot:
“Cheap, Brown and Reliable”, as shown in the attached pic below.

I think I paid $20. USA dollars for the first one I bought.
It lasted many long years and was still keeping perfect time when I finally lost it.
When I bought the replacement (shown in said picture), seems like I paid $40. USA Dollars for same.

In furtherance of that thought, if I was wealthy (and if a frog had wings), I’d collect vintage USA Railroad Pocket Watches.
No offense intended, just saying.

On that note, I applaud those of you who dig on Rolex wrist watches.
Those do not hold my gaze but, I am all for each person striving for whatever makes them smile.

You good fellow’s affection for expensive (super expensive) wrist watches is comparable to my affection towards proper Model ‘98 Mausers, their reasonable descendants, proper SxS double rifles and shotguns, plus certain single shot rifles as well.
Furthermore, I am riveted by a narrow category of fly rods, reels, certain specific handguns and well made pocket knives as well.
So I get it …. in a round about way.

Anywhooo and again, I have really enjoyed this thread.
Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

View attachment 591957

You can't make posts like this without elaboration. Do tell, what fly rods and fly reels do hold your affection?

I used to drive past a single-wide trailer that always had 2 brand new Corvettes parked outside.

All of us find a way waste $ on what is important to us.
In the immortal words of a Marine Officer I once knew: "I can sleep in my car, but I can't drive my house."

OK, I'll play silly games. Even though I don't own a Rolex.

I've turned down a Rolex a few times though, when my wife offered to buy me one.

What I do wear, however, is a TAG Heuer Sea Racer. There's a story.

What the TAG will do, that no other watch than a Rolex Yachtmaster II will do, is count down a 10 minute sailboat race start. Sure, you can set a Timex to do it digitally, but the huge analog sweep hands makes the countdown apparent at a glance. Important when you're juggling the helm, some sheets, looking out for other boats, etc. So I always wanted a Sea Racer.

When my wife and I were dating, she bought me one as a birthday gift. I've used it on many races, and have taken it everywhere with me. Can't check the time without thinking of her.

Every now and then, she's offered to buy me something else. We've looked at Rolexes. We learned that the same company makes Rolex and Tudor. We've been to Glashutte. Every time she asks which one I want, I just tell her I have a really nice TAG that my girlfriend bought me for my birthday, twenty odd years ago...

I guess that Yachtmaster II will do the same thing. But I can buy a couple of really nice rifles for the cost. And besides, my girlfriend bought me a really nice TAG.

You can't make posts like this without elaboration. Do tell, what fly rods and fly reels do hold your affection?
Hi rookhawk, good question.
In my reply here, when I use the words rod /
reel, I’m referring only to fly rods and fly reels.
And, I apologize to all for getting off topic here.
If a hailstorm of people talking about fishing begins, I will suggest we move this to the Fishing portion of the world’s best forum.

Anyway —> Fly Rods:
E. Waldon Powell Hexagraph rods.
Tonkin Cane rods, vintage and present day ones as well, by a multitude of makers.
I only have 2 of those, one is marked Heddon, it is a 3 piece rod but has a spare tip section so, there are 4 pieces total.
I think it’s 8.5’ but I’ve never put a tape measure to it.
It is not marked for weight but loads well with 5w tapered floating line, when using the “lighter weight” tip section.
My other “cane” rod is quite similar but totally unmarked.
The Orvis rods that were spiral wrapped full length and not sanded.
I think these were called “The Rocky Mountain Series” rods.
I’m too lazy to dig one out and read what’s printed on it.:ROFLMAO:
But if it’s important, I can do so.
I have a 10’ - 7W - 3 piece one and a 2W one that I think is either 8’ or 8.5’ - it is a 4 piece one.
Other various rods, very sporadically catch my eye (once in a blue moon) at flea markets and garage sales mostly.
My tarpon and king salmon rod is such.
It is a Sage 14W - 2 piece, with forward fighting grip and fighting butt as well.
I think it is only 7.5’ long but would have to measure to be sure.
Sadly, I’ve never hooked a tarpon on this rod, but not for lack of trying.
I’ve dragged it to Belize and Honduras, as well as to Florida, intending to catch a tarpon on it.
Indeed I’ve caught them, (Key West, Florida, on a spinning rod) just not with this rod.
However, as long as their’s line in the air, there’s hope and this 14W howitzer has brought to my perhaps unworthy hand, countless salmon, including kings into the mid-40 pounds size.

Reels:
Billy Pate.
One Tarpon model, one Salmon model and one bonefish model.
Alvey.
I only have one but it’s the bigun and I’ve caught many salmon, including kings on it (with 14W sink tip line).
Hardy Brothers.
I have both vintage and more recent ones, in various sizes, I think 7 or 8 Hardys all told.

But don’t get me started.:notworthy:

Cheers,
V. Dog.

How many children looked longingly at the Timex on their parents wrist thinking..."maybe one day."?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Windaji

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!