Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I'm setting up a new Ruger No. 1 in 9.3x62 for my wife. Does anyone have experience with stock inserted mechanical (Edwards) vs. mercury recoil reducers? I'm going to put a 1" Pachmayr decelerator pad on the rifle but think that a recoil reduce may be a good idea as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 3.58.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 3.58.44 PM.png
    958 KB · Views: 351
Reactions: WAB
I have mercury in 3 of my rifles. 300 win
375HH and 458 win. Makes shooting alot easier to me.

Since the recoil should be equal to the "coil" I can see three methods of decreasing felt recoil: 1. increase the weight portion of the MV equation 2. redirecting gases to pull the gun forward (muzzle break) and 3. increase the surface area between the gun and the shooter (PAST pad,etc). I'd be much more inclined to include the Edwards type reducer if I had some idea as to how it worked- what des it actually do to reduce recoil?

I purchased a sporter stock with mercury recoil reducer installed, direct from Bell & Carlson for a 26 Nosler. From my perspective, it wasn't worth the money and the recoil wasn't much different than a second 26 Nosler I owned. Both are long gone, they were barrel burners extraordinaire.

I have used Edwards, mercury and simple lead ballast.

I believe the majority of felt recoil reduction comes from the addition of the mass, in all the above cases.

The nice thing about the Edwards and the mercury reducers is you get a clean, 7/8” diameter weight to slide into your bolt hole. It does make things easy.

A nice tight coil of solder works pretty well though, and is a lot cheaper! And you have more or less infinite adjustment on the amount of mass you add. Not so with the commercial options.

Tim

I have no experience with the Edwards but have heard good things about it.

I have a Graco BreaKO mercury recoil reducers in my wife's 270WIN and my 375H&H, love them.
Turned my 375 from a kick to a shove with an easy install.
Wife's install was a bit harder but not too bad, also with excellent results.

I just checked the Graco website and they are not showing the BreaKO recoil reducers anymore.
Also not available on Midway, Brownells...etc.
Anyone have any more information on Graco?

I found another source similar to Graco at
http://mpcsports.com/candhmercuryrecoilreducers.aspx
Prices are similar if not just a bit cheaper.

Good luck with it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 8.23.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 8.23.14 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 413
Last edited:
If mercury based reducers are less available than previously, my guess is that they have fallen prey to the anti-mercury league, a close ally of the anti-lead league.

If mercury based reducers are less available than previously, my guess is that they have fallen prey to the anti-mercury league, a close ally of the anti-lead league.
Both mad as Hatters.

LOL. Your joke may be lost on some of the younger generation!
I was wondering how long it would take.
And you are probably correct about the younger generation not knowing.
All it really means is they are young...and I still wish I was.
Cheers and thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltL

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!