Preparing for 1st Safari

Our doctor sent us with a basic pharmacy so we could treat whatever we might have picked up. Lucky for us we were fine. Also, you might ask for something to make you sleep on the flight over. It is a long flight and airline seats not so comfortable. Where if Africa are you going?
First trip is South Africa in Limpopo. Needed a flatter area for my fiance to hunt in as she has some knee issues.

Trip after that is down to the East Cape for some more rugged terrain.

I’ve got a Leupold VX6HD in 1-6 and a VX6 3-18. Same quality glass in the VX5HD. I’d highly recommend the 2-10 firedot. Also have a Nightforce 2.5-10x40. It’s a very tough and durable scope and would also recommend. However, you will be paying more for a holdover reticle - if you are not a fan of ‘precision’ scopes I think you’ll find Nightforce’s reticles busy. I like the firedot reticle better for general hunting.

I just bought a Blaser with 375 and 6.5 PRC barrels and am putting VX6HD 2-12 firedot and VX5HD 3-15 windplex on them respectively. I also own vortex PSTII and HST and think the Leupolds are better than the vortex and hit a sweet spot for price/performance compared to something like a Swarovski.
I have used both Leupold and Vortex in the past and extremely please with both. Just can't see the need to spend the money on a swaro. That is taxidermy and shipping money right there. I do like the red dot scopes. With a 300 WM I can sight it in at about 275 and have a very close to zero point of aim from 50 to 300yds. No need for the fancy stuff. The one thing I never liked about my Leupold was how difficult it was to change magnifaction. That scope did not want to rotate. It was an old Rifleman 3-9x50. Great glass.

First trip is South Africa in Limpopo. Needed a flatter area for my fiance to hunt in as she has some knee issues.

I don’t know exactly where you’re hunting in Limpopo but there is some awfully rough terrain there. The place I hunted had a good mix of gentle terrain and rugged mountains. At least for this gulf coast flatlander.

In South Africa you can make the hunt as hard or as easy you want. I have a bad, hip, back and knees, and in relatively descent physical shape for my age. With exception of having to tackle one steep hillside that I tried to run up instead of walk up.

Hunting in the East Cape should be fairly comfortable for your fiancé.

Hey all, first post on the site and very excited to do my first trip to Africa. I have read so many posts about calibers, bullets, and travel I think I am starting off right. New 300 win mag for the plains game and already in contact with travel express to get it started. So thanks for all the advice from other posts.

Here is my question. I am in my late 50's, how good of shape should I push myself to get into. First trip is to Limpopo area next year in June. Should be cool enough ( I live in Florida but hate hot weather) to enjoy myself. Also what type of boots should I plan on. I have a great set of boots for moutain hunting but not suited for travel. I would absolutely hate wearing those for 16 hours on a plane.

Look forward to your responses.
I was part of a group of 4 that went August, 2023. We hunted in the Thabazimbi area of Limpopo, terrain was flat and easy to walk. I'm 54 and the only issue I had was my PH walked too dang fast. Your .300 Win Mag will be plenty, while I took my .300 Remington Ultra Mag, the others took a .308 and 30.06. Bullet selection and shot placement are key here, two boxes of ammo will be plenty.

My boots? A pair of 6" composite toe Timberland Boondock work boots, on the plane and in the field and neutral colored Carhartt work clothes. One fella had his checked bag get misplaced, he didn't pack much extras in his carry-on. We were able to share some clothing and he was a good sport about the situation and didn't let it ruin the trip, but most of his hunts were in gym clothes and sneakers. He did finally get reunited with his bag about two weeks after we got back to the States and nothing was missing. So all the high dollar specialty clothes are not necessary, nor is a lot of clothes, our laundry was done on a daily basis. There are some great videos on YouTube that have some great suggestions for packing.

We flew out of Atlanta, as you will too, going out was smooth, coming back into the country is a pain in the hind parts. I recommend that you go get in line to get your rifle and let your baggage ride the carousel and come to you. Then you have to check your rifle again for your connecting flight, even though it just got inspected coming into the country. A direct flight can be difficult but some countries can be even more difficult when travelling with firearms.

Ya have plenty of time to do your research before ya go, it's easy to over complicate the trip, i did.

I don’t know exactly where you’re hunting in Limpopo but there is some awfully rough terrain there. The place I hunted had a good mix of gentle terrain and rugged mountains. At least for this gulf coast flatlander.
Well, the outfitter said it was pretty flat and savanna type land. Where in the Gulf Coast are you, North Florida here.

Well, the outfitter said it was pretty flat and savanna type land. Where in the Gulf Coast are you, North Florida here.
My main target was klipspringer so it makes since for me to be in the hills.
I live in Baldwin county Alabama, just west of Pensacola.

I will be out that way in a few weeks doing the Orange Beach boat show. Great area for fishing.
We go to that on occasion, I’ll look you up if we go this year. I used to do a lot of fishing offshore, kind of slowed down over the last few years. We need to re-power our boat but Africa keeps getting in the way.

In addition to all the great advice regarding equipment, I highly recommend bringing a pocket sized spiral journal. Record the daily events of your safari: animals spotted, meals eaten in camp, details about stalks, etc. I’ve used the same journal for SIX Namibian hunts, and it’s enjoyable to read the journal years later to relive your hunts in your memory bank.

I do the same and when I get home I transcribe my notes into a leather bound journal. I add some things and take a few out. I’ve got 1 Mozambique and 3 RSA hunts in it and may have room for 2 more hunts.

While I don't use a pocket size one I'll use a regular sized spiral journal where I'll take a half hour or so at night and record what happened that day.

It's a great way to refresh your memory and you can type up a report on your computer.

I've been doing this ever since I first got a computer back in the late 90's. Every hunt that I have been on has been typed up and saved. A few have been copied off and placed into a hard back folder.

Hey all, first post on the site and very excited to do my first trip to Africa. I have read so many posts about calibers, bullets, and travel I think I am starting off right. New 300 win mag for the plains game and already in contact with travel express to get it started. So thanks for all the advice from other posts.

Here is my question. I am in my late 50's, how good of shape should I push myself to get into. First trip is to Limpopo area next year in June. Should be cool enough ( I live in Florida but hate hot weather) to enjoy myself. Also what type of boots should I plan on. I have a great set of boots for moutain hunting but not suited for travel. I would absolutely hate wearing those for 16 hours on a plane.

Look forward to your responses.
I have the Lowa Renegade GTX as my go to for most of these hunts. I also now have Solomon hiking shoes that I am using this year for my travel shoes and may hunt in them. I lean on the lightweight side for boots on these trips.

My first hunt was in the Easter Cape so I don't know what kind of terrine you will encounter but I tried to walk around 6 miles every other day and stopped by buildings that had stairs in them to use them for conditioning. I live in Colorado but a wet spring kept me away from the hills. As a fyi I turned 62 just after my first hunt.

Keep reading but one thing that I will emphasis is to spray your outer clothing down with Permithin. It can be found in most outdoor store such as REI, and Walmart. Don't forget to spray down the socks that you will be wearing also.
Where we hunted was extreme terrain compared to where he is going. Some of that EC you need Kenetrek Extreme's!

In addition to all the great advice regarding equipment, I highly recommend bringing a pocket sized spiral journal. Record the daily events of your safari: animals spotted, meals eaten in camp, details about stalks, etc. I’ve used the same journal for SIX Namibian hunts, and it’s enjoyable to read the journal years later to relive your hunts in your memory bank.
My US service connected disability is to my right writing hand. My daughter bought me a nice leather bound journal to record hunting trips but it's just too much work to write legibly. Instead, I send her detailed emails every night before turning in (the lodge has wifi and a generator to take over when infamous RSA "load sharing" kicks in). At the end of the year I can review the emails and put the stories together with photos for the guys at the gun club (see attached). These are saved for my grandkids. There is a book bindery in town and at some point when I'm too decrepit to hunt any longer I'll print it all up and have the stories bound for them. Knowing the stories behind the trophies may make them worth something after I'm gone. For a while anyway.
Chapter Two-page-002.jpg
Chapter Two-page-003.jpg

I'm like the OP and just don't see the need for all the bells and whistles on a rifle scope. I have a BDC 3x9 Nikon that works just fine on my Springfield 30-06 for plains game. There really is no reason for lighted or Christmas tree reticle. The 300 Win will shoot flat and straight for any sensible ranges. There is so much game to pick from, it's really not necessary to stretch the milage. And no excuse for shooting so late in the day that a lighted reticle is needed. True, I shot many elk, deer, and moose right at twilight but always had snow for tracking blood if needed and no lions or leopards hunting after dark to worry about. I always shot the animals up close and personal with a plain Jane 3x Weaver on 30-06. You will probably find your PH will make you stop hunting WELL before twilight as opposed to North Amerca where it's almost the preferred time to hunt.

I'm like the OP and just don't see the need for all the bells and whistles on a rifle scope. I have a BDC 3x9 Nikon that works just fine on my Springfield 30-06 for plains game. There really is no reason for lighted or Christmas tree reticle. The 300 Win will shoot flat and straight for any sensible ranges. There is so much game to pick from, it's really not necessary to stretch the milage. And no excuse for shooting so late in the day that a lighted reticle is needed. True, I shot many elk, deer, and moose right at twilight but always had snow for tracking blood if needed and no lions or leopards hunting after dark to worry about. I always shot the animals up close and personal with a plain Jane 3x Weaver on 30-06. You will probably find your PH will make you stop hunting WELL before twilight as opposed to North Amerca where it's almost the preferred time to hunt.
Nothing wrong with a duplex or BDC reticle. I’ve got a 2.5-10x40 Nikon Monarch 5? That is exceptionally good glass for what I paid for it. If Nikon was still making rifle optics, I’d probably own more.

The firedot really grabs your eye and pulls it to the point of aim though. Even during daytime, it is easier to see than the center point on a duplex. On overcast days, dark animals (black bear, sable), in the shadows and near dawn and dusk it is a real gamechanger. I’d take an illuminated center point over a wider magnification range TBH. They really are worth the money IMO. That VX5 HD 2-10 fire dot is great and very versatile.

Plus 1 on the fire-dot, if hunting black animals such as Cape buffalo in the thickest crap imaginable the red dot is invaluable in my opinion. Black crosshairs on black bodies would not work for me.
Most Americans will use their scopes much more here than in Africa and in many places legal shooting hours are 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sundown which can be pretty dark. Not to mention nighttime hog and coyote hunting at night.

Is it such a good idea to be shooting at an animal that the hunter can't completely make out due to poor light, dark color, shady cover, etc?

Have you ever hunted buffalo in the thick riverine bush of Zimbabwe or in the coastal tangles of Mozambique? Sometimes that’s were the buffalo are and if you want one that’s were you have to go and get him.
Even if you choose not to hunt one in there if things go sideways on a wide open shot that’s exactly where the buffalo will head and you had best be able to see your crosshairs if he decides he doesn’t like the off centered hole you or someone else put him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DottyB500

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.