Politics

I went thru something similar in about 1967, when I was around 5 years old in the rural farmland of southern Minnesota.
Blizzard knocked out the power. My parents put me on a sled, and trudged approx a mile and a half thru the blizzard to my Grandparents farmhouse. I fell off that sled many times as we plowed thru snow drifts.
We all huddled in the basement by candle light where my Grandma had the laundry room and a small kitchen. The propane cook stove saved us from freezing.

Those of us who grew up or currently live along the Gulf Coast have faced similar storm cause events over the years. During last year's ice storm in central Texas, we were without commercial power for six days. The difference with an EMP event will be that there will be no relief when people emerge from their basements.

Think about it - anything with a circuit board dies. There will be no functioning back-up generators; no teams will be working to restore power because no trucks will be functioning; once the store shelves are empty, there will be no transport - rail, truck, or aircraft to refill them. Yes some few will be repairable from existing stocks, but most companies now days operate on the "just in time" logistics model. I personally think it is quite likely 100-120 million people would be dead within ninety days - most due to starvation or violence.

Small isolated towns do best in most of the modeling. Individual family survival, regardless of location will be difficult. Well led small towns on the other hand will have the ability to organize labor, food production, and local distribution.

Very frightening.

I think people badly underestimate the sheer scale of the impact of something like an EMP pulse.

People think in terms of their own house. No TV, no phone, no internet. But if you pause to think in terms of supply chain, things get really really bad.

As an example, I work for a company that makes beer.

Our process is:
Grow barley and harvest it
Stick the barley on a train and take it to the maltings
Malt it
Stick the malt on another train to a brewery
Brew beer
Put the beer on a train, or a truck, to the distribution center
Put it on another truck to the grocery store
Customers drive to the store, stick it in their car, drive it home and enjoy an ice cold beverage.

Think what an EMP pulse does to that process. None of it is hardened.

The barley grows, but the combine and the tractor won't start so it rots in the field.
If you harvest it somehow, the trains can't run, so it rots in a silo
Magically get it to the malt house, well that ain't running without an electricity grid.
Same story for the brewery.
Then the trucks aren't working either.
Even if there's food in the store, most Americans don't live within walking distance of their grocery store, plus no electricity means no cold storage, so everything rots on the shelves.

The story is the same for every food stuff in every developed nation. Our entire supply chain for every good is solely dependent on electricity and electronics. Retooling away from that in a situation where we'd suddenly gone back to 1900s tech and had absolutely no logistics capability as a result would be a nightmare.

Bread, livestock processing, dairy products, canned goods. Even stuff grown domestically will be gone, let alone all the import goods.

What population density can the US sustain through hunting and small scale subsistence farming? 50 million, maybe? Considering it was only 23 million in 1850 and that even in 1950 we'd barely broken 150 million it may be even less.

Tap water can't be treated or distributed using current infrastructure without electricity. Sewage can't be treated. Garbage can't be removed. There's only minimal medical care. No pharmaceuticals, no hospitals. Houses can't be heated, or cooled. No electricity grid and no electronics means no fuel refineries and no Haber process, so no gasoline, no plastics, no lubricants, no natural gas and no fertilizer.

Without this infrastructure you can't even produce replacement microchips or parts to start getting things running again. Even if you could, the planes aren't going to work and neither are the container ships. The nearest reliable source of many of these specialized chip components is Taiwan... if they can get their own factories and supply chain up and running first. Rebuilding will take years, decades even.

Yet 60% of Americans live in big cities that are totally dependent on this infrastructure to not be complete death traps within a few weeks.

The first few days would finish off the terminally ill and some rioters. The first week sees people run out of water. The first month, they run out of food. The first winter, people start freezing to death. The next summer, the diseases set in. Money is inaccessible, and even it it could be accessed it would be worthless. Then there's the civil unrest.

In the event of a worldwide solar flare knocking out all electronics I fully expect that you'd lose 1/3 of the US population within a year, probably more like 2/3. Most other nations, except maybe African ones, would be just as badly off.

This is why no one is eager to be the first to try out EMP weapons. It's MAD on exactly the same scale as a nuclear exchange and thankfully no one has yet been that stupid.

Thanks for listing all of the far reaching consequences so succinctly.

This also shows that a man made EMP, which by definition is more localised (if one can call half a continent localised) than an X-flare/CME coming from the sun, would be less dangerous. The latter (sun) has the potential to overwhelm all circuits everywhere all at once. That would be a much bigger pit to climb from than if it were “only” North-America, or Europe. There would be enough existing infrastructure elsewhere to limit the worst of the horrors.

In the late 1970's we young uninformed Marines would laugh at Soviet aircraft using vacuum tubes as electronic valves rather than solid state devices such as transistors.

By the mid 1980's we realized the Ruskies always have a plan. Those tubes would withstand an EMP while US aircraft would fall out of the sky.

Today every electronic gizmo uses micro chips, integrated circuits with as many as a million transistors on a chip the size of a large thumbnail.

In electronics an electro-static discharge (ESD) will fry ICs like your TV getting struck by lightning. While static electricity doesn't have the current of a lightning bolt, the voltages are similar, between approximately 10,000 to 20,000 volts.

An EMP will instantaneously saturate the atmosphere with that much voltage. It will come and go so fast s human won't be injured (in theory) but ALL electronic devices will be rendered inoperable. Only shielded devices will survive. How many shielded devices do you, your town, local utilities, and so on have?

Last edited:
Those of us who grew up or currently live along the Gulf Coast have faced similar storm cause events over the years. During last year's ice storm in central Texas, we were without commercial power for six days. The difference with an EMP event will be that there will be no relief when people emerge from their basements.

Think about it - anything with a circuit board dies. There will be no functioning back-up generators; no teams will be working to restore power because no trucks will be functioning; once the store shelves are empty, there will be no transport - rail, truck, or aircraft to refill them. Yes some few will be repairable from existing stocks, but most companies now days operate on the "just in time" logistics model. I personally think it is quite likely 100-120 million people would be dead within ninety days - most due to starvation or violence.

Small isolated towns do best in most of the modeling. Individual family survival, regardless of location will be difficult. Well led small towns on the other hand will have the ability to organize labor, food production, and local distribution.

Very frightening.
Feb of 21 winter storm “Uri” devastated most of Texas with ice, snow, and single digit temps. Our area went without power for 18 days. It was unpleasant but doable if one prepared for such events. Reminded me of growing up during hurricane season in south Florida except for the single digit temps. Fire places and generators make a world of difference as long as you have fuel……

Yes it would be, but temporary. But during/after the downing of the grid (lighting and emergency communication) they planned an attack inside a major city? One July afternoon a few summers ago here at about 4pm, the neighbor across the street came out of his home and complained to me (I was in my driveway) that he had no electricity and thus no AC which his ill wife needed inside their home. About 93F here that day. The neighbor next door came out and asked me what to do about her fridge with no electricity. I told the first neighbor that I don't have AC at all and to open up his windows and have his wife go out to their cooler garage with the door open. I told the second neighbor don't open her fridge unless she needed something out of it. These people were panicked! Then at about 9pm, night fell. This was a massive power outage for several square miles and the only lights visible were the emergency runway lights from the airport maybe 10-15 miles as the crow flies from my home. I have a great view from my driveway as I'm up on a higher point. Anyway, we lit candles inside our home and I sat (armed) inside our garage with the door open and kept an eye on the surrounding neighborhood. The next door neighbor did the same. Everyone else in my part of the neighborhood is clueless and helpless. It was VERY eerie. I'm used to having no light at night when in camp hunting, just camping or working overnight, but then again there aren't the potential criminals/armed thugs around looking for an opportunity to wreak havoc. At about 11pm, the electricity was restored. Now, imagine a LARGE portion of my city of half a million people experiencing the same scenario for more than just the couple of hours our small neighborhood within the city did? Even several days could/would be disastrous.

I was without power for roughly 21 days after Hurricane Andrew did his thing to South Florida. Just when I thought I was prepared, well, we were very short, and this was with two kids. The charcoal grill became my best friend, and the water from the lake behind our house was used to flush the toilets. I would take my kids fishing on the lake to keep them entertained, and we would eat the fish we caught. Rationing of our food was tough on the kids. Four- and six-year-old don't like to eat Tuna from a can. LOL!!!!!

BTW, this is before we could afford a cell phone, and our land lines even though operational, there was not a single cop to come to your rescue. So, I was armed 24/7, and had weapons strategically situated throughout the house, just in case. In the event of a SHTF, the kids and wife knew what to do, and where to go hide.

Trusting, and working with our neighbors was essential to the survival of our community. I was lucky and most would help me out with food for the kids.

The biggest issue to deal with was water. Luckily water would trickle out of the faucet, and I would collect and boil it while I cook to conserve the charcoal.

At around day 10 or 15, we decided to venture north in search of food. We had to drive up to West Palm Beach to find a gas station with gas, and a grocery store. Luckily, I had a nice stash of cash, and that worked out like a champ. We got gas, groceries, and ice, and drove home, trying to make home before dark and the curfews.

So, the moral of the story is, just when you think you are prepared, prepare some more.

I'm not going to comment on an EMP, because either DoD is doing its job, or it is not. And I spent enough time in the DoD to know the most likely scenario there.

Of course, I'll also mention that I will find it somewhat ironic that my Land Rover will end up with the "most reliable" award, because it does not have a circuit board. But I digress.

But I'm commenting here to tell of a campfire game we once played... it was the opposite of the early adopter game. That is to say: How far back in time could you comfortably live, if you had to live without the technology?

Typewriters instead of word processors were good... and we all knew how to write in cursive, so we had that going for us.

Gore-tex is great. Can you still wax canvas?

The first guy fell out when he realized he knew how to deal with fuel injection, but could not adjust a carburetor. Another realized he did not know how to adjust points, or measure dwell.

The conversation went on. Take away the cars... can you ride a horse?

Several of us were woodworkers... but only two could prepare a board with hand planes, not using a jointer or a planer.

The conversation went on... Several adult beverages were enjoyed. It was a good self check: we say we are self-reliant, but are we?

I was without power for roughly 21 days after Hurricane Andrew did his thing to South Florida. Just when I thought I was prepared, well, we were very short, and this was with two kids. The charcoal grill became my best friend, and the water from the lake behind our house was used to flush the toilets. I would take my kids fishing on the lake to keep them entertained, and we would eat the fish we caught. Rationing of our food was tough on the kids. Four- and six-year-old don't like to eat Tuna from a can. LOL!!!!!

BTW, this is before we could afford a cell phone, and our land lines even though operational, there was not a single cop to come to your rescue. So, I was armed 24/7, and had weapons strategically situated throughout the house, just in case. In the event of a SHTF, the kids and wife knew what to do, and where to go hide.

Trusting, and working with our neighbors was essential to the survival of our community. I was lucky and most would help me out with food for the kids.

The biggest issue to deal with was water. Luckily water would trickle out of the faucet, and I would collect and boil it while I cook to conserve the charcoal.

At around day 10 or 15, we decided to venture north in search of food. We had to drive up to West Palm Beach to find a gas station with gas, and a grocery store. Luckily, I had a nice stash of cash, and that worked out like a champ. We got gas, groceries, and ice, and drove home, trying to make home before dark and the curfews.

So, the moral of the story is, just when you think you are prepared, prepare some more.
I grew up in central Maine so winter storms were quite common. We had no electricity until my senior year in high school(1959). We heated and cooked with wood and water came from a well. Kerosene lamps were the light fixtures and plumbing was an outhouse. Bath water was heated on the stove and we bathed in a big galvanized tub.

We planted a big garden and raised a hog and beef critter every year besides harvesting several deer. Many times we were "landlocked" for days until the road got plowed. We went to town in horse and sleigh for groceries if needed but on the whole we were pretty much self sufficient.

Lessons learned and still hold true today. Be prepared to the best of your ability and then back it up some more. I burn wood and have kerosene lamps as back up. Several cases of MREs ( laugh all you want) canned goods and non perishable foodstuffs, water, meds, etc. Strategically placed firearms and plenty of loaded mags.

I have to chuckle at all the handwringing and horror theories. I doubt any country, however radical, is going to send an EMF. It would be a suicide mission because the unaffected world would retaliate swiftly and forcefully. Same with a nuke strike. Everyone would be nuking everyone else and the world would be destroyed. Lots of sabre rattling but no action.

I have subscriptions to several writers on Substacke, Matt Taibbi among them. This came out yesterday.

This one isn't (shouldn't be) paywalled: https://www.racket.news/p/financial...tle&isFreemail=true&r=1b256w&utm_medium=email

A few weeks ago, Ohio congressman and Judiciary Committee chairman Jim Jordan’s office released a letter to Noah Bishoff, the former director of the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or FinCEN, an arm of the Treasury Department. Jordan’s team was asking Bishoff for answers about why FinCEN had “distributed slides, prepared by a financial institution,” detailing how other private companies might use MCC transaction codes to “detect customers whose transactions may reflect ‘potential active shooters.’” The slide suggested the “financial company” was sorting for terms like “Trump” and “MAGA,” and watching for purchases of small arms and sporting goods, or purchases in places like pawn shops or Cabela’s, to identify financial threats.

Jordan’s letter to Bishoff went on:

According to this analysis, FinCEN warned financial institutions of “extremism” indicators that include “transportation charges, such as bus tickets, rental cars, or plane tickets, for travel to areas with no apparent purpose,” or “the purchase of books (including religious texts) and subscriptions to other media containing extremist views.”
During the Twitter Files, we searched for snapshots of the company’s denylist algorithms, i.e. whatever rules the platform was using to deamplify or remove users. We knew they had them, because they were alluded to often in documents (a report on the denylist is_Russian, which included Jill Stein and Julian Assange, was one example). However, we never found anything like the snapshot Jordan’s team just published:
1707414600179.png

The highlighted portion shows how algorithmic analysis works in financial surveillance. First compile a list of naughty behaviors, in the form of MCC codes for guns, sporting goods, and pawn shops. Then, create rules: $2,500 worth of transactions in the forbidden codes, or a number showing that more than 50% of the customer’s transactions are the wrong kind, might trigger a response. The Committee wasn’t able to specify what the responses were in this instance, but from previous experience covering anti-money-laundering (AML) techniques at banks like HSBC, a good guess would be generation of something like Suspcious Activity Reports, which can lead to a customer being debanked.

If Facebook, Twitter, and Google have already shown a tendency toward wide-scale monitoring of speech and the use of subtle levers to apply pressure on attitudes, financial companies can use records of transactions to penetrate individual behaviors far more deeply. Especially if enhanced by AI, a financial history can give almost any institution an immediate, unpleasantly accurate outline of anyone’s life, habits, and secrets. Worse, they can couple that picture with a powerful disciplinary lever, in the form of the threat of closed accounts or reduced access to payment services or credit. Jordan’s slide is a picture of the birth of the political credit score.

There’s more coming on this, and other articles forthcoming (readers who’ve noticed it’s been quiet around here will soon find out why). While the world falls to pieces over Tucker, Putin, and Ukraine, don’t overlook this horror movie. If banks and the Treasury are playing the same domestic spy game that Twitter and Facebook have been playing with the FBI, tales like the frozen finances of protesting Canadian truckers won’t be novelties for long. As is the case with speech, where huge populations have learned to internalize censorship rules almost overnight, we may soon have to learn the hard way that even though some behaviors aren’t illegal, they can still be punished with great effectiveness, in a Terminator-like world where computers won’t miss anything that moves.

What a crazy time we live in! See you from the Nevada caucus, and watch this space for other news soon.

A very concerning scenario.
The Feds and banking institutions weaponizing AI, switching to digital currency, social credit scores, microchipping, etc.
Another 4 year's of radicals controlling this country, and we could well be on the way to something that scares me more then an EMP or Nuclear Holocaust.

A very concerning scenario.
The Feds and banking institutions weaponizing AI, switching to digital currency, social credit scores, microchipping, etc.
Another 4 year's of radicals controlling this country, and we could well be on the way to something that scares me more then an EMP or Nuclear Holocaust.

If you can't wake up happy about where you live, loving your neighborhood, and trusting your Sheriff and DA, you gotta move. Once everyone figures out this same truth, you won't be able to move because you'll have unsalable real estate and you won't be able to afford the better location property. You'll be a victim. Wind/Solar backups, water purifiers, canned goods, short wave radios, diesel drums...that's all prepping level 401 classwork that is irrelevant if you're unable to pass prepping 101: live in a place that is decent and will stay decent with 100% certainty.

When we talk about contingency planning for society, nobody is good enough to be a prepper for the 1/1000th of 1% scenarios. On the other hand, most people that should know better have no plan for the 80% likelihood scenarios that could manifest in the next ten years.

I know people that spent tens of thousands on guns and ammo to "prep" but they lived on a nice block in MN where the George Floyd protesters took over their playground and they had to move out for a period of time. You think about food, water, and arms when you have a defensible position. No purpose nor plan for spending that kind of money when you have to flee and leave it all behind instantly when mild civil unrest comes knocking.

EMP pulse mitigation is prepping level 601 coursework. So far outside of the realm of preparedness its hardly worth mentioning.

If you can't wake up happy about where you live, loving your neighborhood, and trusting your Sheriff and DA, you gotta move. Once everyone figures out this same truth, you won't be able to move because you'll have unsalable real estate and you won't be able to afford the better location property. You'll be a victim. Wind/Solar backups, water purifiers, canned goods, short wave radios, diesel drums...that's all prepping level 401 classwork that is irrelevant if you're unable to pass prepping 101: live in a place that is decent and will stay decent with 100% certainty.

When we talk about contingency planning for society, nobody is good enough to be a prepper for the 1/1000th of 1% scenarios. On the other hand, most people that should know better have no plan for the 80% likelihood scenarios that could manifest in the next ten years.

I know people that spent tens of thousands on guns and ammo to "prep" but they lived on a nice block in MN where the George Floyd protesters took over their playground and they had to move out for a period of time. You think about food, water, and arms when you have a defensible position. No purpose nor plan for spending that kind of money when you have to flee and leave it all behind instantly when mild civil unrest comes knocking.

EMP pulse mitigation is prepping level 601 coursework. So far outside of the realm of preparedness its hardly worth mentioning.

For some of us, medication is a big issue. All the prepping in the world would be moot if I don't have my med's. Not unless there was a pharmacy that I could rob with stock on hand....lol.
My Doctor will only prescribe 1 years worth of Meds at a time. So stocking up would be difficult, as the shelf life is approx 24 months.

The Tucson pima county DA and Sheriff are lefties, and about as useful as the proverbial screen door in a submarine.

Special Council Robert K. Hur's report has just been released on Biden's handling of classified documents. As expected, He won't be charged when he leaves the presidency, but the findings and reasoning of the Special Council will resonate through the election.

This is the Washington Post article, hardly an unsympathetic source to the administration. Regrettably, I suspect it is likely behind a paywall. I have cut and pasted below some of the more striking comments that are certain to have traction through the election.

Special counsel Robert K. Hur found evidence President Biden “willfully retained and disclosed classified materials after his vice presidency when he was a private citizen” but that evidence “does not establish Mr. Biden’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Ultimately, the report said a jury would find Biden to be a sympathetic figure and “a well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory.”
Hur said it would be "difficult to convince a jury that they should convict him -- by then a former president well into his eighties -- of a serious felony that requires a mental state of willfulness,” the report said.

The report portrayed Biden as a well-intentioned, but sometimes hapless and forgetful, a man who had access to classified materials throughout his government career.

Some of the classified documents were classified “top secret/sensitive compartmented information,” a category reserved for particularly sensitive material.

But officials said in the report that it would be hard to convince a jury that Biden retained the information willfully — a necessary basis for conviction. That’s because, according to officials, his “memory was significantly limited” and that it wouldn’t have been all that notable for Biden to discover classified information in his home less than a month after he left office.
“Mr. Biden’s memory was significantly limited, both during his recorded interviews with the ghostwriter in 2017, and in his interview with our office in 2023,”

I have yet to read the actual report (300+ pages), but the Post reporting, intended or not, does not portray a man competent to stand trial, much less run the country.

Last edited:
I went thru something similar in about 1967, when I was around 5 years old in the rural farmland of southern Minnesota.
Blizzard knocked out the power. My parents put me on a sled, and trudged approx a mile and a half thru the blizzard to my Grandparents farmhouse. I fell off that sled many times as we plowed thru snow drifts.
We all huddled in the basement by candle light where my Grandma had the laundry room and a small kitchen. The propane cook stove saved us from freezing.
It might have been 1966. We had a blizzard in Eastern South Dakota and North Dakota that year. My parents took pictures. I was just a baby. The snow was drifted over houses and small buildings on our family farms. The men had to shovel paths to the doors on houses, granaries and livestock barns that were partially covered and then some. On a one-story house, you couldn't see the house. Luckily, most of our family farm houses were two-story. Farming was different back then and almost all grain farmers also had cattle, dairy cows, hogs, chickens and large gardens. My grandparents and parents canned lots of vegetables and meat. Farmers were way more self-sufficient. Now days, farmers are more specialized and grain farmers look down their noses at farmers that still have a few cattle, hogs and chickens unless they are 4-H projects for the kids.

Special Council Robert K. Hur's report has just been released on Biden's handling of classified documents. As expected, He won't be charged when he leaves the presidency, but the findings and reasoning of the Special Council will resonate through the election.

This is the Washington Post article, hardly an unsympathetic source to the administration. Regrettably, I suspect it is likely behind a paywall. I have cut and pasted below some of the more striking comments that are certain to have traction through the election.

Special counsel Robert K. Hur found evidence President Biden “willfully retained and disclosed classified materials after his vice presidency when he was a private citizen” but that evidence “does not establish Mr. Biden’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Ultimately, the report said a jury would find Biden to be a sympathetic figure and “a well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory.”
Hur said it would be "difficult to convince a jury that they should convict him -- by then a former president well into his eighties -- of a serious felony that requires a mental state of willfulness,” the report said.

The report portrayed Biden as a well-intentioned, but sometimes hapless and forgetful, a man who had access to classified materials throughout his government career.

Some of the classified documents were classified “top secret/sensitive compartmented information,” a category reserved for particularly sensitive material.

But officials said in the report that it would be hard to convince a jury that Biden retained the information willfully — a necessary basis for conviction. That’s because, according to officials, his “memory was significantly limited” and that it wouldn’t have been all that notable for Biden to discover classified information in his home less than a month after he left office.
“Mr. Biden’s memory was significantly limited, both during his recorded interviews with the ghostwriter in 2017, and in his interview with our office in 2023,”

I have yet to read the actual report (300+ pages), but the Post reporting, intended or not, does not portray a man competent to stand trial, much less run the country.

I'm even handed in these matters. There is no possible scenario where Biden or Trump had good intentions with these documents. Both were at the ready to be used for political or financial gain.

Only an imbecile would keep TSSC docs in their residence. 1.) It's illegal. 2.) If you love our country, you would protect our secrets from loss or misuse. 3.) Your enemies would love to use it as political fodder.

Hence, they both had them for ulterior motives.

Yet we all know an E-1 would be immediately thrown out of the military and would suffer the repercussions the rest of their life. For only an accidental Confidential or secret level violation. Let alone a willful at TSSC level
E1. If I had retained SCI documents as a Two-Star, I would have cashiered immediately.

E1. If I had done that as a Two-Star, I would have cashiered immediately.

A machinists mate on a boomer was an idiot and took a selfie, forgetting that the nuclear power system was in the background of the photo. Completely stupid, no malicious intent, dumb kid kinda stuff. I think he did 1 years on a potential 20 year stint?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VernaCarri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!