Pelican prerogatives - 1750 vs 1700 for int'l travel - experiences wanted

Get the smaller case! I use a pelican 1700 and I can get 2 stocks, 3 barrels and 3 actions in the case. Scopes go in my carry on. The smaller case fits in a car trunk. The reduced length is definitely easier. (And about 45 lbs total weight for the case with contents)

My gun case travels with me on many weekends when I leave town. Being able to put it in a car makes it easier to bring the rifle on a weekend where you might get to do some .22 practice, but won’t got to a shooting range.

The genius of an R8 is the ability to take it apart and have return to zero. My rifles return to zero without issue. The small case is just simply easier to carry.

I have multiple larger pelican cases and I now almost never use them.

@Datchew - You know where I fall on this. Pelican 1700 all the way. Especially considering you will have the R8 as cargo. It is possible to fit two complete R8 rifles in one Pelican 1700 case as long as you detach the scopes and put them in your carry-on...like you should.

I've done several trips with the Pelican 1750 and after the last one decided it's time for that one to move on. Sold it to another AH member. Been riding the 1700 train ever since.

Best of luck with it.

Thx all. Shopping has begun

The Fear of it looking like a gun case and supposed issues are grossly overblown. Many of the stories of intentional damage were in London and years ago.
I like both of your ideas and have used both. The smaller case is cool but that's about it. You get 50lbs on airlines and may as well use it. The 2 rifle case gives you space for a rifle and some gear etc.
There is one situation hat has arisen where the take down case was money. This was with our charter flights in Zim. If we take the Navajo and there are four or five of us there is not room for that many big gun cases. we will wind up leaving a couple with the charter folks and taking our rifles in soft cases on the plane. With the take down you can just throw it in the plane with the luggage!

We didn't have room for a matchbook on the flight back to Harare!

For my Blaser, I bought the Blaser case and use it. Of more than that, I use a tuffpak.
I have three 1750's sitting around gathering dust.

For my Blaser, I bought the Blaser case and use it. Of more than that, I use a tuffpak.
I have three 1750's sitting around gathering dust.
The Pelican Blaser case or the Negrini Blaser case?

Just got an email this morning Pelican are having a flash sale, 1700 case reduced to $288.00.
Good price. Just make sure there is correct, full foam in top and bottom sections. When cutting outlines for parts of rifle in bottom leave them slightly shallow.... that way the foam in the lid top section slightly compresses the parts in the bottom section to help keep them secure.

Looking like a gun case matters not at all to me.

i have long cases and the short Blaser Pelican case. The short case is WAY easier to deal with.

TSA wants a lock on each hole. Two less holes, two less locks,
Plus, the locks must hold the case closed, even when the case latches are opened. I dealt with that multiple times last year…got slightly ugly when the case has 4 locks but the ticket agent won’t check it in because he can get his finger in the tiny gap created by prying up the case lid with the latches open.

Next time, I may just bring industrial zip ties.

Plus, the locks must hold the case closed, even when the case latches are opened. I dealt with that multiple times last year…got slightly ugly when the case has 4 locks but the ticket agent won’t check it in because he can get his finger in the tiny gap created by prying up the case lid with the latches open.

Next time, I may just bring industrial zip ties.
Can't use zip ties. Recommend taking off two of the lock holes like @Philip Glass and @wesheltonj recommended and using properly sized locks. Or simply use four locks.

The Pelican Blaser case or the Negrini Blaser case?
Pelican Blaser case. I am not sure about the Negrini cases. I have one but have never flown with it.
Ross

I have a 1750 - the double rifle case with wheels. It's been traveled with quite a bit. Truck, roof, trunk, airlines, etc. Solid piece of equipment. A little long in the tooth and covered in scratches and stickers.
I recently upgraded to a blaser r8 and will probably take it solely on international travel. Perhaps domestic airline travel as well. So going to a shorter case is now and option and I'm looking at the 1700.

Question for the experienced - is it really worth another $300+ to go to a Pelican 1700 to lose approx 9-10" in length?
I realize the 1750 is in the gray area of published airline luggage size allowances and it's heavier and "looks like a gun case" but I'm guessing the 1700 gets the same looks.

So is it worth it to drop about 4 pounds of weight and 10" in length for the 1700 or just go with what I got?
How important (and how effective) is stepping a little further away from the optics of "that looks like a gun case?"
IMG_0855.jpeg

That’s my setup and it came cut out
Yes, the Blaser branded Pelican 1700 cases all came pre-cut to fit the R8. Problem is they are out of production. When new these went for about $600. The ones with the cape buffalo insert are more sought after, but still the ones like you have could command a hefty price tag...even when well used like my tan one.
1710698390669.png

The most fiscally responsible solution is DIY. Buy the 1700 without foam for ~$300 then get 3 pieces (different thicknesses) of PE foam for another $50-100 and cut it out yourself.

If you do this, you can make inserts for different rifle combinations. Like a double rifle/R8 combo or shotgun/R8 combo...or whatever you want. Several members have done this too.

The above pics are what I have and use.

I’m currently considering the same options and was wondering why the R8 owners are removing the bolt and trigger assembly when cutting the foam for the 1700. Seems like extra work and more parts to go missing. Please help

I’m currently considering the same options and was wondering why the R8 owners are removing the bolt and trigger assembly when cutting the foam for the 1700. Seems like extra work and more parts to go missing. Please help
It is a Tetris game to fit and then cut the foam. Removing the bolt makes a flatter edge to stack things.
I don’t remove the trigger assembly.

Exactly what @Tra3 said. Removing the bolt handle so it can be rotated upright makes it lay flat in the case. Otherwise the bolt handle sticks up higher than everything else.

Same thing on most traditional bolt action rifles being stuffed in a relatively flat case like the Pelican 1750. Most of the time the bolt is removed to allow it to lay flat. I know that’s what I did with mine.

Thank you. i do the same with my bolts so I guess it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the input

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeboraKins

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.