Parkwest SD-76 Dark Continent Rifle in 375 H&H – First Impressions

@Red Leg I had the same red dot question so I looked at NF Reticle breakout and the small dot in the center is 0.2 mil and the halo circle is 2-4 mil depending on magnification. So it should be right in the 1 moa dot size but it didn't say 0.2mil at what magnification. Hopefully @gsdog1 can give us a first person review on the sizes once he has the chance to shot it some. I haven't ever had the chance to look at this NF scope, so take my input with a grain of salt.

Yeah I got totally lost with the scope description....sounds too complicated and too many things going on inside the tube for me...:E Head Scratch::E Big Grin:

1713021806815.png

Sweet!!! Dude!!!

Beautiful rifle, also very nice presentation of the background as to why it came to be just like this!
Thank you sir!

Pretty amazing how natural light versus indoor lighting can really make the fiddleback pop.

Beautiful rifle, the checkering is especially nice, congratulations.

I have the same scope and reticle, except in the NX8 line. The scope was on my .45-70 this past season to wring it out, before moving it to a .416 Rigby. The 1x with the red dot worked well and quickly became my favorite for use in dense thorn brush in South Texas.

Wonderful rifle, but help me out with the image size of that red dot. The 4 mil you describe sounds like actually nearly 15 MOA at 100 meters?!? If I remember correctly, 1 mil equals a little over 3.5 inches. I have found I personally can not effectively use anything on game above 2 MOA in a red dot. Clearing a building with a M4 is one thing, but that large a dot on an incoming bull would be like trying to aim with a dinner plate. I must be misunderstanding something.

What is the perceived size when the scope is set at four power?
Greetings sir! We've actually "met" through others on the site if you will. Your experience and quests are flat amazing.

As I understand it, 1 mil at 100 yards = 3.6 inches. The illuminated circle you see in the reticle image from NF's webpage has a radius of 2 mils at 100 yards. So I do stand corrected, was a late night working up the initial report out. With a diameter of 4 mils, we get 4 x 3.6 inches = 14.4 inches at 100 yards, as you noted ~ 15 MOA @ 100 yards. Thank you for the catch, the questions, and corrections by all means.

At low power you literally have a circle, not a red dot. Totally concur WRT a relatively large diameter red dot obscuring the target. Running it up to 8 power with the F1 reticle gets you into the "red dot" territory on a T-post.

Low end and high end magnification can be seen here toggling between the two settings:

I am basically totally new to the African safari hunting world, and need to be thinking ~ 50 yards, not 250. With that circle at low power transposed over the kill zone of a buffalo, if I am true and my rifle shoots true as well, I've got a solid hit. No math involved. And as previously noted, I won't be milling anything with this platform. It's more a matter of keep it simple stupid (me in this case), and the secondary reason I like this solution for this application. The primary reason being abject reliability in so much as rifle optics are concerned.

And if I understand your question about 4x power perceived size, the following is listed as FOV low / high power:

Field of View @ 100 yd or m1x: 96.1 ft/32.0 m8x: 13.1 ft/4.4 m

Red circle surrounding red zone of target cleared hot and let her eat.

The math can overwhelm the conversation sometimes.

Hopefully that helps clear up my initial posting.

Attachments

• FC-DMx Low Power - Nightforce Optics.pdf
    407.9 KB · Views: 24
  • FC-DMx High Power - Nightforce Optics.pdf
    258.5 KB · Views: 19
Greetings sir! We've actually "met" through others on the site if you will. Your experience and quests are flat amazing.

As I understand it, 1 mil at 100 yards = 3.6 inches. The illuminated circle you see in the reticle image from NF's webpage has a radius of 2 mils at 100 yards. So I do stand corrected, was a late night working up the initial report out. With a diameter of 4 mils, we get 4 x 3.6 inches = 14.4 inches at 100 yards, as you noted ~ 15 MOA @ 100 yards. Thank you for the catch, the questions, and corrections by all means.

At low power you literally have a circle, not a red dot. Totally concur WRT a relatively large diameter red dot obscuring the target. Running it up to 8 power with the F1 reticle gets you into the "red dot" territory on a T-post.

Low end and high end magnification can be seen here toggling between the two settings:

I am basically totally new to the African safari hunting world, and need to be thinking ~ 50 yards, not 250. With that circle at low power transposed over the kill zone of a buffalo, if I am true and my rifle shoots true as well, I've got a solid hit. No math involved. And as previously noted, I won't be milling anything with this platform. It's more a matter of keep it simple stupid (me in this case), and the secondary reason I like this solution for this application. The primary reason being abject reliability in so much as rifle optics are concerned.

And if I understand your question about 4x power perceived size, the following is listed as FOV low / high power:

Field of View @ 100 yd or m1x: 96.1 ft/32.0 m8x: 13.1 ft/4.4 m

Red circle surrounding red zone of target cleared hot and let her eat.

The math can overwhelm the conversation sometimes.

Hopefully that helps clear up my initial posting.
Well. :oops:

I am far too much of a dinosaur to use that reticle display on DG rifle (or a deer rifle for that matter). But to be fair, I also am convinced that other than adding illumination, nothing has yet been created that is superior to a German No. 4. So, if you are happy, by all means best of luck with it.

Red,

it is a big red dot, the simplest, fastest, and easiest to use aiming point invented yet, other than a laser dot on the target which is not legal for hunting in most places.

Red,

it is a big red dot, the simplest, fastest, and easiest to use aiming point invented yet, other than a laser dot on the target which is not legal for hunting in most places.

Mmm...big I don't like...including front sight....dont want a dinner plate over what I am aiming at....small bead....simple ...

I shouldn't have included narrative about the glass. Been around too long, know better.

:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Works for me, will outlast me, I'm good. (y)

Scopes are all personal preference and opinion. that rifle is beautiful. Parkwest/Dakota being employee owned now is producing better guns than ever. Their equipment has all been modernized and the pride they are taking in their work is at the highest level. IMO the best value in new controlled round feed rifles. People from outside the USA I feel won't appreciate what they are, and they'll say "for a few thousand more you could have had a Rigby". I would argue that if you put the 2 side by side and were honest with yourself there would be no comparison in fit and finish of the base model rifles. IMO opinion these current "semi production" base models are the best the USA has to offer, are they a Buehler or Weibe???, or any of the other elites, no, but they are Americana, and I love it.

Well done sir- You did your homework and acquired the proper tool for the job. Good Hunting-

Red,

Well Tex, I have numerous rifles with illuminated scopes to include two of my .375s, a .404, and 500/416. I also spent a long time in the military. I know what a red dot is, and have significant experience using them. The largest I employ, on the 500/416 and the DDM4 that I have to repel borders at living room range, is two mils and they are too large. Like many of their scopes, NF can't seem to shake their tactical roots. In addition to the overly large dot, all of those ridiculous indices that emerge as the power on the OP's scope is increased simply adds clutter to a rifle that will likely never be fired at anything farther than 200 meters. For me personally, it adds far too much clutter for any normal hunting application, much less Africa.

Based on @AZDAVE 's interpretation, and relooking the literature that the OP posted, it looks like NF has created an illuminated dot (probably standard 2-4mm or 1-2 moa) within a circle of red haze at lowest power. So perhaps the OP only has to look through an opaque dinner plate as he tries to engage that incoming buffalo rather than aim with it.

Last edited:
@Red Leg Like you I have never shot a scope with all the extra LPVO tactical reticles that are currently being used. I like a simple German 4 kinda hunting reticle, of a 1 or 2 moa red dot. I will be interested in @gsdog1 take on the usability of this NF scope.

So perhaps the OP only has to look through an opaque dinner plate as he tries to engage that incoming buffalo rather than aim with it.

Exactly correct sir.

I’ll be hunting soon enough with others on the board, this message matter of fact. Will give others a go with it.

I do like it, rapid target acquisition and the like, but most important a NightForce.

Scopes are all personal preference and opinion. that rifle is beautiful. Parkwest/Dakota being employee owned now is producing better guns than ever. Their equipment has all been modernized and the pride they are taking in their work is at the highest level. IMO the best value in new controlled round feed rifles. People from outside the USA I feel won't appreciate what they are, and they'll say "for a few thousand more you could have had a Rigby". I would argue that if you put the 2 side by side and were honest with yourself there would be no comparison in fit and finish of the base model rifles. IMO opinion these current "semi production" base models are the best the USA has to offer, are they a Buehler or Weibe???, or any of the other elites, no, but they are Americana, and I love it.

Well done sir- You did your homework and acquired the proper tool for the job. Good Hunting-
Hi there sir! And thank you for your post. A somewhat involved process paid off for sure. :cool:

Definitely not a trip to the local big box “sports” store for this one.

Part of my intention in presenting this information for everyone was to really take in an American masterpiece. It’s really incredible to heft, and a wonder to my eyes. I’m an engineer and can really appreciate the fine level of crafts and trades time that went into making a functional beauty, in my eyes.

And thanks to all, the real credit goes to the people that make Parkwest, and subsequently their fine products.

Here‘s to many an AAR to follow!

Matt

Absolutely beautiful gun! Qs: What does the reticle look like should the battery die? I opted for the Trijicon 1-6 as it requires NO batteries and the illuminated German #4 reticle with much smaller dot is also simple and perfect for typical DG shots at 100 or less yards (also printed 3-shots touching at 100 yds, 5 shots <1" with a heavy-recoiling DG 416.) I see NF as a military-style scope(s)-most of the lower power 1-4,5,or 6 reticles are batt-operated and designed for ARs, so I personally wouldn't chuck one on a fine AG rifle. (I know Triji was originally military contractor, too, but the 1-6s are perfect for DG+) There are actually low power scopes out there where the entire reticle disappears if the batt dies, and that's a no-no for DG hunting. 'Just my $1K. :p
1713121613797.png
1713121651934.png

Last edited:
Here‘s to many an AAR to follow!

AAR = After Action Report = Trip Report.

AAR = After Action Report = Trip Report.
IOW AHF AARs. TY My Dad (Army) used to leave notes for his 3 boys on the 'fridge. ALL acronyms and no names (Son #1 instructions, Son #2, etc. We had to learn HIS lingo. He referred to fast food as MRE.) LOL Priceless! RIP Dad!!! In an ideal world, he'd be 88 this month.

Absolutely beautiful gun! Qs: What does the reticle look like should the battery die? I opted for the Trijicon 1-6 as it requires NO batteries and the illuminated German #4 reticle with much smaller dot is also simple and perfect for typical DG shots at 100 or less yards (also printed 3-shots touching at 100 yds, 5 shots <1" with a heavy-recoiling DG 416.) I see NF as a military-style scope(s)-most of the lower power 1-4,5,or 6 reticles are batt-operated and designed for ARs, so I personally wouldn't chuck one on a fine AG rifle. (I know Triji was originally military contractor, too, but the 1-6s are perfect for DG+) There are actually low power scopes out there where the entire reticle disappears if the batt dies, and that's a no-no for DG hunting. 'Just my $1K. :p View attachment 599387View attachment 599388
Greetings!

Best I post this file. It's the NF I chose on low power setting, with the illumination on. Best stated as a see through "ghost ring" around a "red dot". Put target kill zone in center of transparent circle with red dot as intended POI, and there you go. As noted in my original posting, disregard all subtensions and milling functionality. I did not want nor need those features for this application.

Fast target acquisition accurate dependable reliable. Buff number one on my list for this safari. If said buff does me in, the NF will survive and my son can use it, and my insurance premiums are all paid up so my better half HH6 has no worries. Everyone wins!

If the battery goes to the grave, you get everything in the pic less the red illumination. So you are not completely dead in the water what-so-ever.

Matt

Attachments

• FC-DMx - Nightforce Optics low power.pdf
    379.5 KB · Views: 23
IOW AHF AARs. TY My Dad (Army) used to leave notes for his 3 boys on the 'fridge. ALL acronyms and no names (Son #1 instructions, Son #2, etc. We had to learn HIS lingo. He referred to fast food as MRE.) LOL Priceless! RIP Dad!!! In an ideal world, he'd be 88 this month.
That's a damned riot right there!!! Hilarious, thanks.

RIP dad here too. My brothers and I went by "Dammit" and "Who the Foxtrot" etc. But it was never the same attribution, situationally dependent and all. A degree of on the fly interpretation was always involved. Made life interesting. :ROFLMAO:

Greetings!

Best I post this file. It's the NF I chose on low power setting, with the illumination on. Best stated as a see through "ghost ring" around a "red dot". Put target kill zone in center of transparent circle with red dot as intended POI, and there you go. As noted in my original posting, disregard all subtensions and milling functionality. I did not want nor need those features for this application.

Fast target acquisition accurate dependable reliable. Buff number one on my list for this safari. If said buff does me in, the NF will survive and my son can use it, and my insurance premiums are all paid up so my better half HH6 has no worries. Everyone wins!

If the battery goes to the grave, you get everything in the pic less the red illumination. So you are not completely dead in the water what-so-ever.

Matt
I too believe the red dot is too large for hunting purposes (whether farther shots at PG or in your face DG.) Long ago, I put one of Aimpoint's big dot scopes (hunting pistols) on a woodchuck (as I'd test out everything in the field on safe, target-rich environments (and it was literally a blast.) On this occasion, the dot (set on its largest, brightest setting) was wider than the 4" chuck and i gasped (that'd be a miss and that miss would've been bad with a bouncing up/down buff head or other biting game!) The aimpoints had an adjustment for the reticle dot size....I figured it out, and then it worked! Most are simply brightness settings now, not dot size, so you have what you've gotten! I have an aversion to reticle styles that are too busy for DG purposes...the focus should literally be on the aiming point. Time doesn't always allow, but at close range, there's nothing better than "in a fight, front (iron) sight! That's the concept of what you're saying with the outer ring, but the dot should be small, yet visible. Leupold made a WONDERFUL reticle years back-illuminated (black when off) 1' circle at 100 yds with a 1 mil red dot in the center (1-5x 20mm). It is absolutely PHENOMENAL for moving game ('have it on a short Rem Pump 06, but it'd be great on a DG rifle as well!) Sadly, I had it slung around my back on a long tractor ride last deer season and the top/battery cap must've vibrated off on some mile-marker of logging roads. :( I'll contact L, but 'don't have high hopes as it's probably 20-25 y/o now. Good luck and let us know how it works out. Q: Do you work for NF in any capacity?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydaX15957

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone