Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Hi all,

it might be a stupid question for some, but I've been wondering this one for some time now. As far as the name used for certain male antelope's, it seems that sometimes "bull" is used (ex: Sable Bull) sometimes "buck" is used (ex: fallow deer) and sometimes "ram" is used (ex: impala ram)

Is there any reason or logic to this? Why not a sable ram and an impala buck?

I being size matters in this case. Smaller antelopes are rams, bigger species are bulls. Antlered deer are bucks

As Above deer species cast antlers smilar to bone bucks and stags
Antelopes have continuous horn growth like your nails think sheep ewes and rams
the bull and cow term is used on larger animals
The terms were probably carried over from there use in domestic farm animals.

@wipartimer and @Dudders:

thanks for this, so the rule is:

Shed's antler's = buck (but still bull moose)
Horn's = ram for small animals, bull for large animals

Yes. Size matters on antlered critters too. Buck-deer, bull- elk or moose

Can't attest to "all" species world-wide but, the generally accepted break point African antelope species is gemsbok oryx. Smaller than gemsbok it's generally ram/ewe and gemsbok and larger bull/cow.

Hi all,

it might be a stupid question for some, but I've been wondering this one for some time now. As far as the name used for certain male antelope's, it seems that sometimes "bull" is used (ex: Sable Bull) sometimes "buck" is used (ex: fallow deer) and sometimes "ram" is used (ex: impala ram)

Is there any reason or logic to this? Why not a sable ram and an impala buck?
Bulls and rams are separated by weight. A female to a Bull is a cow, and a female to a ram is called a ewe. There are two exceptions in Africa that I know of, which is the Nyala and the Sitatunga, where both the males are considered bulls, yet their females are called ewes and not cows.

Can't attest to "all" species world-wide but, the generally accepted break point African antelope species is gemsbok oryx. Smaller than gemsbok it's generally ram/ewe and gemsbok and larger bull/cow.
Sorry to say, but I believe that this is incorrect. The accepted break for African animals is the Nyala, not the Gemsbuck. The male Nyala is known as a bull since he is heavy enough, yet the female is known as a ewe. I only know of the Sitatunga where the same rule applies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuyixinwei26

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!