Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
So we just finished this up. Garry and I had the good fortune to go on this hunt with Carrie and Corey when she shot these. We hunted last January off of Long Island and boy did we stack them up!
D0BC20B0-7B23-4BA9-B3AB-6DC477AE8ED1.jpeg
3B7D8CA8-E606-448C-ABA1-32E7A5F4E522.jpeg
67052342-34CA-41BF-86B4-7B51BB4D664D.jpeg
BEA42425-5ED4-47D2-B312-B16929D0C0F1.jpeg
E0612509-BB7F-4679-BA62-B6F8B87E659E.jpeg
068095D0-CE3C-4B61-8057-F31F390B9A3B.jpeg
E1DB79B2-134D-4F9A-BC11-E9E6112D972A.jpeg
92C4046B-A4EC-4213-A493-485034520402.jpeg

love it

Beautiful. Nice job.

Beautiful work in some beautiful birds.

Sa-weet mount! Love it

How come they call them Old Squaws? Never heard of them.

I see you mount birds like your mammals. Awesome job again. In Canada we must now call them long tail ducks. We are not allowed to supposedly insult some sort of peoples.

MB

The title did pique my interest.

I wish I had a cool answer for that but I don’t. They’ve been called that for ever until recently when the woke crew threw a fit so they re-named them “Long Tail Ducks”. I refuse to use the new name out of principle.
I’m sure it has something to do with their coloration looking like Indian women’s colorful robes or something of that nature. That is purely conjecture on my part though.

Last edited:
I see you mount birds like your mammals. Awesome job again. In Canada we must now call them long tail ducks. We are not allowed to supposedly insult some sort of peoples.

MB
Maybe they should be renamed "Old Biden" ducks?

MB
All the woke PC nonsense can piss off as far as I’m concerned. It’s only a thing because people allow it to be a thing out of fear of being titled a racist. Absolute ridiculousness and ignorance.

Maybe they should be renamed "Old Biden" ducks?
Ya know that would fit if they weren’t so pretty. They are absolutely the most ungraceful ducks on earth. When they come into land they literally crash and do a faceplant in the water. The first time I saw it I thought there was something wrong with that particular bird. After watching about three more crash and tumble just to pop back up and swim around as if nothing happened I got to laughing so hard I about fell out of the boat. I asked the guide wtf was up with these ducks and he laughed saying that was just the way they were. Absolutely beautiful birds but the most ungraceful goofy things I’ve ever seen.

Stunning mount!! Thanks for sharing.

Ya know that would fit if they weren’t so pretty. They are absolutely the most ungraceful ducks on earth. When they come into land they literally crash and do a faceplant in the water. The first time I saw it I thought there was something wrong with that particular bird. After watching about three more crash and tumble just to pop back up and swim around as if nothing happened I got to laughing so hard I about fell out of the boat. I asked the guide wtf was up with these ducks and he laughed saying that was just the way they were. Absolutely beautiful birds but the most ungraceful goofy things I’ve ever seen.
Based on your description of their behavior, renaming them Old Biden would be perfect then? LOL

That is really well done, I love it.

They are no longer called old squaw, to politically incorrect. Called long tailed ducks now. I still go old school and say old squaw though. I’ve heard they got their name from the sound a flock makes on the water, sounds like a bunch of women gossiping amongst one another.

I always have a list of un-achieved goals in front of me to keep me mentally and physically healthy, interested in life, and looking forward to the future. It's 10% about reaching the goal and 90% about creating a fascinating, fun, and worthy journey. So, what does that have to do with oldsquaw?

Well, one of my unaccomplished goals is to kill all 32 duck species that can be legally hunted in North America. To make it more interesting, I am trying to get to 27 of these species hunting solo in my home state of South Carolina. I'm at 25 now and have killed the last 6 species over decoys that I've pieced together and painted myself to match the species that I was hunting. The #25 bird was an oldsquaw. I made the decoy from an old Herters 62 body that I burlapped and painted along with a Autumn Wings head. It's my personal trip to Mordor and I'm loving every step in the journey.

This is the decoy I painted to help me kill my 'squaw. The scars, cuts and scrapes on the faux long-tailed hen are testament to the ruggedness of my chosen path.

50646648881_131a8d3fa5_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work guys! Go to taxidermy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nycfornyccom

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!