NAMIBIA: Has Anyone Hunted At Westfalen Hunting Safaris? Leopard & Plains Game Free Range

HankBuck

AH elite
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Tanzania,BC, Ontario, Quebec, Mexico, Alaska, WY, MT, KS, ME, PA, ID, AL, NC, SC, NJ, NY, VT, NH, TX,
Hi, been getting the “itch” for one more Safari and would like to bring my Wife (non hunter, Non camper - likes Resort type accommodation and a bathroom “everywhere”).
A website from “Westfalen Hunting Safaris” looked good regarding nice accommodations, sight seeing for Wife, free range PG and Leopard.
Most Leopard photos were dated 2015, not sure if they still operate or just older photos. Tried to contact but not sure my email reached them. Anyone have any insight — would be appreciated. Thank You

As far as I know they are still operating. I know someone from another forum that hunts with them; pretty sure they went last year. I have met the owners, good folks, I’d have no issue booking there.

That Loxodonta conservancy has a number of good outfits and they all know each other. I hunted with Jan du Plessis at Sebra, Johann Veldsman @ Shona is neighbor to Sebra ;there are several others. Westfalen is to their south IIRC.

Cattle and goats farms with low fencing; had a terrific hunt in that area.

I did all my communications by just calling.

I hunted this past may with Philip Hennings of Khomas highland hunting safaris.

@KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS

Great lodge that would please your wife. But still small and homie enough for me.
Low fence, free range, indigenous game. He hunts I think 2 leopards a year. You should get in touch. Less than 2 hours drive from airport in Windhoek. It a dream of mine to go back to his ranch and sit for leopard with Philip.

Philip is a sponsor on here. Feel free to PM too

I don’t have any information on this particular outfitter, but most outfitters based in central/north central Namibia have a pretty similar portfolio of properties they can hunt (low fence and high fence) and similar lodging options and non-hunting activities. There are a few exceptions such as those that have rights to the large concession areas. I’d expand your outfitter search. These ranch hunts are probably the least successful leopard hunts by hunter numbers. I’d focus on past success rates, most outfitters will be able to supply your wife lodging and activities she will be really happy with.

I think Westfalen was a sponsor on AH for several years. I remember seeing a few hunting reports. If you utilize the search function you can find several reports and postings on Westfalen.

Hi, been getting the “itch” for one more Safari and would like to bring my Wife (non hunter, Non camper - likes Resort type accommodation and a bathroom “everywhere”).
A website from “Westfalen Hunting Safaris” looked good regarding nice accommodations, sight seeing for Wife, free range PG and Leopard.
Most Leopard photos were dated 2015, not sure if they still operate or just older photos. Tried to contact but not sure my email reached them. Anyone have any insight — would be appreciated. Thank You
@HankBuck I heard from John, the owner. They are no longer doing leopard hunting. I actually contacted them a few weeks ago

Last edited:
I don’t have any information on this particular outfitter, but most outfitters based in central/north central Namibia have a pretty similar portfolio of properties they can hunt (low fence and high fence) and similar lodging options and non-hunting activities. There are a few exceptions such as those that have rights to the large concession areas. I’d expand your outfitter search. These ranch hunts are probably the least successful leopard hunts by hunter numbers. I’d focus on past success rates, most outfitters will be able to supply your wife lodging and activities she will be really happy with.
Thanks and agree - my focus is on Leopard and would expect I can find a nice lodge & Plains game anywhere. Right now I’m still deciding “if” i can swing this $$ wise in the next year or two but need to plan regardless. As far as research - any outfits with consistent history is always a good starting point. I’d rather wait for a few years and get with in the right area with good opportunities. I know some hunters that have been on 2-3 Leopard hunts and never had an opportunity —- same Way I’ve “struck out” on Mountain Lions (3 times) even though I went with top outfitters in good areas. I’d always ask the basic questions to the Outfitter: How many Leopard hunters did you take the past 2 years? Of those Hunters, how many killed a Tom? Of those Toms - please send pictures. I’m likely to only get to kill one leopard in my life - would rather “pass up” and come home empty handed then shoot a small one. I’m told a 140 lb Tom (on a scale) is above average and 175lb.+ is outstanding.
Years ago, I did some research with my Guide from Tanzania and he suggested Zimbabwe, mentioned areas that have Leopard preying on cattle - get very large, not sure if they were depredation hunts or not? I believe Namibia is daylight only - 1/2 hour before/after sun. Fine by me, prefer Not to sit in a blind all night and then try to plainsgame Hunt during the day.

@HankBuck I heard from John, the owner. They are no longer doing leopard hunting. I actually contacted them a few weeks ago
Thank You for this information - appreciate the quick reply

Thank You for this information - appreciate the quick reply
My pleasure. Other notable outfits in Namibia, especially for big leopards are Jamy Traut, Nick Nolte and Thormalen & Cochran.

Yes. The plains game were excellent. John is friends with others that specialize in leopard hunting on his property on his former family properties (500,000 ac?) and elsewhere. I'm fairly certain we wrote up some hunting reports about his place. The food and accommodations are second to none! I'll bet you 10,000R it won't rain. 'saw the largest Tom leopard hunting Impala in broad daylight in Namibia when not hunting leopard!

Last edited:
My pleasure. Other notable outfits in Namibia, especially for big leopards are Jamy Traut, Nick Nolte and Thormalen & Cochran.
Thanks again - reached out to one of your “notables” yesterday and hope to hear back. I’ve got a good idea of what I want - but I have A LOT to learn and this will be a “process” before I make a decision. At least for this hunt I don’t need any gear, rifles or anything else (not that that deters me from “buying”)...can apply all my meager funds to the hunt/airfare/taxidermy.
Reading on this Forum the past few months has been very worthwhile - and interesting. Regards

I didnt hunt with Westfalen but a few years ago I corresponded with him and laid out my expectations for a Namibia hunt and instead of giving me BS to sell a hunt, he said he didnt think he could produce what I was looking for. An honest man.

I didnt hunt with Westfalen but a few years ago I corresponded with him and laid out my expectations for a Namibia hunt and instead of giving me BS to sell a hunt, he said he didnt think he could produce what I was looking for. An honest man.
Thank you for that info - that’s good to know

Thanks again - reached out to one of your “notables” yesterday and hope to hear back. I’ve got a good idea of what I want - but I have A LOT to learn and this will be a “process” before I make a decision. At least for this hunt I don’t need any gear, rifles or anything else (not that that deters me from “buying”)...can apply all my meager funds to the hunt/airfare/taxidermy.
Reading on this Forum the past few months has been very worthwhile - and interesting. Regards
@HankBuck I'd look at Thormalen honestly. While they're booked for 24 with leopard, still have some for 25.

Feel free to DM me if you'd like

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgareitIcesk

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.