Looking for Australia hunt (low-budget preferred)

Masai

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hi! so I would like to go hunt to Australia and Im very much money-driven, so a low budget is preferred. I travel and hunt by myself, so Im quite flexible.
A combination of hogs and buffalo would be perfect.
Any recommendations?

Yep, Alex at Big Country Safaris is your man.

I got a reply from him literally 2 min after sending him an email... I do not know if Im authorized to share the price list Alex sent me.

I'm not planning a trip for a while, but I wouldn't mind comparing to back when I had been planning. Not enough reason for me to bug an outfitter mid-season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! so I would like to go hunt to Australia and Im very much money-driven, so a low budget is preferred. I travel and hunt by myself, so Im quite flexible.
A combination of hogs and buffalo would be perfect.
Any recommendations?
@Massai
A free range buffalo hunt by yourself would be life finding a unicorn farming rainbows. There's no such thing as a cheap buffalo hunt even in Australia. Averages out to around 7,000AUD for a week plus airfares . That's why I chose a pg hunt in Namibia. Not much dearer and more hunting for my dollar.
Bob

@Massai
A free range buffalo hunt by yourself would be life finding a unicorn farming rainbows. There's no such thing as a cheap buffalo hunt even in Australia. Averages out to around 7,000AUD for a week plus airfares . That's why I chose a pg hunt in Namibia. Not much dearer and more hunting for my dollar.
Bob
I wish I found something in that price range!! 7000AUD is around US$4,700,,, the cheapest I found so far is over US$10,000 ,,, more than double of what you mention.

I wish I found something in that price range!! 7000AUD is around US$4,700,,, the cheapest I found so far is over US$10,000 ,,, more than double of what you mention.
That's what I was quoted about 11 years ago. I have nonidea the change in value of that $10k between then and now, with inflation and exchange rates and everything else turned upside-down.

That's what I was quoted about 11 years ago. I have nonidea the change in value of that $10k between then and now, with inflation and exchange rates and everything else turned upside-down.
Fun fact is that currency exchange rate should have made prices drop to half,,, or at least 40% due to value loss of the Australian dollar,,, but reality is that prices have gone up to more than double,,, so in absolute economical terms is like if Buffalo in Australia was being sold for 4 times more that 10 years ago!!!! ,,,, Bitcoin investors, in your face

No matter what excuse is made up about inflation,,, is just that they are trying to match their prices with african buffalo. Big difference is that australian buffalo is a non endemic domestic variety of cow/bull.

In other words, you are paying over $10k to shoot a feral cow.

No hurt feelings, we are doing the same in Mallorca Island in Spain. Feral goats use to be hunted for free or maybe a couple hundred euros until 8-10 years ago when they started manipulating the system. Now they are being sold for way over $3,000. I laugh at that situation but makes me angry at the same time. Nobody is forced to pay to hunt a feral animal, but is unfair that hunting turns inaccessible to hunters with limited resources just because some few manipulate the system.

Opinons here are more than welcome!

I just try to remember the things that I do have at my disposal that are to my advantage. Am I able to hire a wagon, ox team, and porters to haul off into the unknown for a year to hunt ivory? No, but I do have access to private land deer hunting with one of the most liberal limits in the entire US. I'll take what I can get as I can get it.

“No matter what excuse is made up about inflation,,, is just that they are trying to match their prices with african buffalo. Big difference is that australian buffalo is a non endemic domestic variety of cow/bull.“

So you ask because you want to hunt one and then when told there’s a cost you decide they are below you:unsure: I for one won’t say Aussie water buffalo are the same as a cape buff, nothing is, but man they are fun to hunt. Another thing to consider is where we hunt them is very remote and to get there and keep a camp supplied is expensive. It is some of the most remote hunting around. It’s hunting a worthy big game animal in a first world country pure and simple. That is never cheap these days.
I just got sent a video of a hunting guide getting smashed by a wounded water buff. Glad it wasn’t me…….

Last edited:
I’m not recommending them because I’ve never used them myself, but I use the worldwide trophy adventures website as a price reference on a lot of hunts. They have Australian buffalo hunts for $8000 USD advertised. Last year they had a special advertised for 4 hunters $6900 USD.

Last edited:
There are many outfitters so check web.
Note that the best time fir buff hunting is in the dry season - June to October -ish
Some safari operators only go June to September

“No matter what excuse is made up about inflation,,, is just that they are trying to match their prices with african buffalo. Big difference is that australian buffalo is a non endemic domestic variety of cow/bull.“

So you ask because you want to hunt one and then when told there’s a cost you decide they are below you:unsure: I for one won’t say Aussie water buffalo are the same as a cape buff, nothing is, but man they are fun to hunt. Another thing to consider is where we hunt them is very remote and to get there and keep a camp supplied is expensive. It is some of the most remote hunting around. It’s hunting a worthy big game animal in a first world country pure and simple. That is never cheap these days.
I just got sent a video of a hunting guide getting smashed by a wounded water buff. Glad it wasn’t me…….
Thank you for the reply.
Im just pointing out that it sounds way too expensive for a trophy you get (a feral animal).
Anyhow, is my opinion and dont blame anybody that is willing to pay that amount of money for this hunt.

I watch the YouTube Australia feral hunts, camels, pigs, donkeys and dingo's. Self outfitted/done, camp, drive, shoot a bit, pack camp and repeat. Until out of time, money, gas or ammo.

Not sure if a non Aussie is allowed to do that but that would be my fancy and a great hunt and adventure. Well worth ammo, food and airfare.

I certainly am not blaming any outfitter for inflated costs, its what market will take. Are they selling out of buff quota at those prices?

Maybe @Bob Nelson 35Whelen or @Mark R can answer those?

For me and for now I will keep watching YouTube Australia and return to Africa for the me shooting hunts.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RogelioCat

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)