Website
panthertrackers.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Club bleu de Gascon, Gascon Saintongeois, Ariegeois
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Germany, France, Belgium, Austria, Spain, Australia and USA

Great start

The coastal forest Leopard inhabits a unique environment that not only creates a special ecology but also a 1 of a kind hunt.

Can your Hunter “pass” on Leopard if treed or at bay - if cat not up to his size/standards? Or does the Hunt end once a legal Cat is produced and shot opportunity presented?

Can your Hunter “pass” on Leopard if treed or at bay - if cat not up to his size/standards? Or does the Hunt end once a legal Cat is produced and shot opportunity presented?
The bayed leopard hunt comes to an end when the cat is shot, and pulling out of that commitment is generally not possible.
However, a treed leopard can be passed on in most cases.
I find roughly an even split between treed and bayed outcomes.

As the leopard does not present any obvious visual trophy markers like horns, antlers, or ivory, it is almost impossible to gauge specific trophy characteristics accurately while in a tree.
The parameters of passing on a treed cat would need to be agreed on pre safari.

What's your success(shot opportunity) rate on Leopard hunts with dogs?

The bayed leopard hunt comes to an end when the cat is shot, and pulling out of that commitment is generally not possible.
However, a treed leopard can be passed on in most cases.
I find roughly an even split between treed and bayed outcomes.

As the leopard does not present any obvious visual trophy markers like horns, antlers, or ivory, it is almost impossible to gauge specific trophy characteristics accurately while in a tree.
The parameters of passing on a treed cat would need to be agreed on pre safari.
Understood and appreciate the honest answer. It is similar to a bear hunt with hounds - unless scent is struck off a clear “track” the size of the bear treed is often a surprise. I assume your success rate is higher then most baited leopard hunts and the off set is that trophy quality can’t be as accurately predicted. The dog hunt must be very exciting regardless of Cat size - the “dogs” become a big part of the hunt & the memories. I’m “guessing” this hunting be somewhat risky-to-the-Dogs Vs. U.S. bobcats and even Cougar = less dangerous to the dogs

Understood and appreciate the honest answer. It is similar to a bear hunt with hounds - unless scent is struck off a clear “track” the size of the bear treed is often a surprise. I assume your success rate is higher then most baited leopard hunts and the off set is that trophy quality can’t be as accurately predicted. The dog hunt must be very exciting regardless of Cat size - the “dogs” become a big part of the hunt & the memories. I’m “guessing” this hunting be somewhat risky-to-the-Dogs Vs. U.S. bobcats and even Cougar = less dangerous to the dogs
In almost every case, we only enter the hounds onto a sight discovered track so can generally predict the age/sex class of the cat well before the bay-up or tree.
Depending on the region, a mature male track can measure anywhere between 9 to 10cm in length (front pad).
Approximating age and size is possible if the cat is quite visible in the tree.
In my opinion, a cat treed by hounds is easier to judge than a baited cat as light and time are typically more available.

What's your success(shot opportunity) rate on Leopard hunts with dogs?
This season we had 100% success, but that is not always the case.
Weather, moon phase, target male absence, and poor scent conditions can negatively impact on success.

In almost every case, we only enter the hounds onto a sight discovered track so can generally predict the age/sex class of the cat well before the bay-up or tree.
Depending on the region, a mature male track can measure anywhere between 9 to 10cm in length (front pad).
Approximating age and size is possible if the cat is quite visible in the tree.
In my opinion, a cat treed by hounds is easier to judge than a baited cat as light and time are typically more available.
From your description (find good track - based on size - release hounds) seems similar to Cougar hunts I’ve been on. Even then, hounds can sometimes tree a female or sometimes during the chase “switch off” onto another Cat....guessing that is just a risk that cannot be controlled. If a Leopard is treed and Client wants to “pass” assume you can get the dogs pulled off but if bayed on the ground — is that a much more difficult (dangerous) situation? Since I’ve never taken any Leopard (never hunted one) maybe I’m being “too picky” but I know it’s a likely a once-in-a-lifetime hunt and that’s why I ask so many questions.

From your description (find good track - based on size - release hounds) seems similar to Cougar hunts I’ve been on. Even then, hounds can sometimes tree a female or sometimes during the chase “switch off” onto another Cat....guessing that is just a risk that cannot be controlled. If a Leopard is treed and Client wants to “pass” assume you can get the dogs pulled off but if bayed on the ground — is that a much more difficult (dangerous) situation? Since I’ve never taken any Leopard (never hunted one) maybe I’m being “too picky” but I know it’s a likely a once-in-a-lifetime hunt and that’s why I ask so many questions.
Yes, that's right. If for some reason the hounds tree the non-target cat, then we will pull them off the tree and redirect to the target track.
I'm happy to answer any and all questions, so please don't hold back.

I have a question, Gavin:

From first scent to treed, or bayed, what is the expected range or time. I understand that it varies, but is it 1-2 km or 5-10km?

There really isn't an average.
Scent availability is the main determining factor. Good scenting conditions can permit the hounds to stay on track for 15km plus.
The actual chase (the period following the hounds lifting the cat from his stationary location) generally does not continue for many kilometres.
However, terrain, topography, and habitat will affect whether the leopard will finally be bayed, treed, or escape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antoun

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!