Leopard and lion set-up

Mihai Ionut-Daniel

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
HI
I booked a hunt in Zimbabwe for 2025. Main goal is leopard and lion with bow.
For the ones that already bowhunted the two what was your set-up?
Did anny of you used a mecanical broadhead? What tubes and what poundage are you using?

Are you sure your outfitter is going to be able to secure a lion special permit?

HI
I booked a hunt in Zimbabwe for 2025. Main goal is leopard and lion with bow.
For the ones that already bowhunted the two what was your set-up?
Did anny of you used a mecanical broadhead? What tubes and what poundage are you using?
Not sure this is practically possible....

A mechanical broadhead is never ok for dangerous game.

I won’t even shoot deer with them.

Although lion and leopard with a bow are doable(although I’m not sure Zim is issuing bow permits for DG at the moment) it’s really not the best idea.

A mechanical broadhead is never ok for dangerous game.

I won’t even shoot deer with them.

Although lion and leopard with a bow are doable(although I’m not sure Zim is issuing bow permits for DG at the moment) it’s really not the best idea.
How do you know?
Did you do it?
At 82# one mechanical blade will zip up a leopard or lion without Anny problem.

Fixed broadheads are best (even the very first mass-produced one!) I know he had a 100# Kodiak recurve on-hand for elephant, but I recall him using an 85# model of same for lesser stuff. My son used the heaviest shafted ACHs and 160 gr 2 blade fixed on a lot of stuff in Africa to good effect (w/ a 70# Hoyt.) I think the entire arrow weighed 760 gr if not mistaken. He did note significant pass-throughs on PG (springbok, warthog, gemsbok, etc.) It's the broadhead that does the work in Archery. Many times the mechanicals don't do much work (and that'd be VERY bad for everyone involved on cats!) Used them 1x on deer (Very poor penetration after nicking a bone on the way in.) And back to fixed it was!!! Luckily the deer injured itself when the lungs expanded they get poked by the poorly penetrating, 1 blade attached mechanical...it expired the next day by a water hole. I should have known-when something works, don't mess with it! And Bowhunting IS the official sport that teaches you ALL about the unnecessary widgets peddled in the hunting industry!!!

1695932507333.png

Last edited:
Fixed broadheads are best (even the very first mass-produced one!) I know he had a 100# Kodiak recurve on-hand for elephant, but I recall him using an 85# model of same for lesser stuff. My son used the heaviest shafted ACHs and 160 gr 2 blade fixed on a lot of stuff in Africa to good effect (w/ a 70# Hoyt.) I think the entire arrow weighed 760 gr if not mistaken. He did note significant pass-throughs on PG (springbok, warthog, gemsbok, etc.) It's the broadhead that does the work in Archery. Many times the mechanicals don't do much work (and that'd be VERY bad for everyone involved on cats!) Used them 1x on deer (Very poor penetration after nicking a bone on the way in.) And back to fixed it was!!! Luckily the deer injured itself when the lungs expanded they get poked by the poorly penetrating, 1 blade attached mechanical...it expired the next day by a water hole. I should have known-when something works, don't mess with it! And Bowhunting IS the official sport that teaches you ALL about the unnecessary widgets peddled in the hunting industry!!!

View attachment 560263
Traditional and compound bows are completely different. Especially speed level.
Penetration is more important with a compound.

There are a few on the site who’ve killed Buffalo with a bow. I haven’t seen Lion or leopard with a bow.

I recommend this as a reference:

Lion and leopard are thin skinned. 650 grain arrow with 70lb draw should be more than enough (I use for 450kg elk). Key is high FOC arrows for max penetration. Vitals are in a weird spot, ask the ph where to aim if you don’t know. I have only killed lion with a rifle.

I believe most here (and many places elsewhere when it comes to modern day big game bow hunting) will suggest single bevel and high FOC. Search Ashby Foundation and/or Ranch Fairy for more info and research.

I wouldn’t use a mechanical broadhead. I’m not speaking from firsthand experience, just from a moderate amount of research on the topic regarding large/dangerous game.

If you consider Chuck Adams the Kevin Robertson of Bowhunting, bows shoot "ping pong (table tennis)" balls, energy-wise (in comparison to bullets.) They ONLY kill on penetration and hemorrhaging. Penetration is a function of E=MV. The proper bleeding will occur with the FIXED broadhead. ;) IF old Fred's recurve (low V) will do it with a high M arrow and fixed broadhead combo, a compound is even better (increased V with the same M, and resultant, even higher E.) That doesn't mean that a high potential E compound (or my favorite, the even faster "Crossguns," with shorter arrows lol akin to shooting flattened cans at DG) won't smash to pieces upon impact and/or penetrate poorly because a lighter shaft and el cheapo mechanical broadheads were utilized. Some things to think about when other people's lives are at stake (and even an animal's life for that matter!) As I recall, several African countries have a required minimum Energy to use a bow for DG. Hasn't your PH consulted you on this as of yet?? (You can obviously pre-determine acceptablility at home-which you should. Weigh the arrows (M) and chronograph the velocity of shots (V). Watch Frikkie DuToit's video (produced by Judge Judy of TX, also featuring RIP Sgt. Ermey of FMJ) on determining acceptable Archery gear for Lion, as he takes a rather wealthy, aging with rockstar fake hair, chest-beating hollywood (maybe Las Vegas?) hunter out for his 5th lion....lol That was one happy repeat PH! lol (That was in SA near the Capitol of Botswana!) Purify your bow in the waters of Sun City both prior to, and after success on Lion! ;)

Last edited:
There are a few on the site who’ve killed Buffalo with a bow. I haven’t seen Lion or leopard with a bow.

I recommend this as a reference:

Lion and leopard are thin skinned. 650 grain arrow with 70lb draw should be more than enough (I use for 450kg elk). Key is high FOC arrows for max penetration. Vitals are in a weird spot, ask the ph where to aim if you don’t know. I have only killed lion with a rifle.
I have killed two buffalos with bow. You can see them on this forum
650 gr is the weight we taught only that I will be shooting 82#
99% the blade will be German Kinetic silver flame.

I personally wouldn’t use a mechanical on anything larger than a medium antelope. My experiences have left me less than impressed.

That being said Josh Bowmar posted on instagram that he has taken Cape buffalo with his new 2” mechanical on a sub 600 grain arrow. If that works on buffalo I presume it would work on lion/leopard.

Why would anyone hunt DG with mechanical BH and leave things to chance? I personally believe the only way to go is a fixed-blade COC BH. Just my 2-cents.

For the record, I have killed 2000# water buff with a 65# bow and COC BH and have killed a 200# eland with a 62# bow with COC BH.

CORRECTION: 2000# eland not 200# eland.

Traditional and compound bows are completely different. Especially speed level.
Penetration is more important with a compound.
The question of mechanical heads has nothing to do with the bow... it doesn't matter how many pounds you shoot if the head fails and they do fail. I guide for bears and moose in Canada and have witnessed multiple failures with mechanical heads. I always recommend fixed heads to clients but some insist on bringing mechanical heads because "they work on deer back home." Unfortunately the animals pay for it, with dangerous game, you might too. Why risk a failure? Use a solid, sharp fixed head and work on tuning your bow and arrow.

I have no experience bow hunting lion or leopard, but have a little experience hunting black bears, and a ton of experience bow hunting deer. The Ed Ashby meat eater podcast converted me from a decade of mechanicals. I couldn’t imagine using anything other than a fixed broadhead on dangerous game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taigo88poker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.