Is the 7mm prc suitable for plains game?

sproutp2003

Reaction score
I have a question for all you that hunted plains game. I have a 7mm PRC. Is it suitable for plains game? The biggest game I will be chasing is kudu and blue wildebeest. Thank you in advance. I do enjoy reading all the posts on this site.

7mm PRC would work well for most plains game. If your handloading, I would stick with the tougher monolithic or bonded core bullets. If buying factory ammo, look at the Hornady Outfitter line with the CX bullets. I would stay away from ELD-X or ELD-M bullets for anything bigger than whitetail.

Will be good - just pick a high quality bullet - shots will most likely be 50 yards to 200 yards. 7prc is moving pretty fast so I’d choose a premium bullet - swift scirocco/A-frame, Barnes TTSX, etc… as mentioned above I wouldn’t care to chance an ELD-X at 3,000 fps

I’ll echo the above. I’ve killed 3 eland with a 7 SAUM. Pretty much same ballistics as the PRC. 3 kudu, a couple of Gemsbuck, a zebra, a blue and black wildebeest plus another 2 dozen plains game animals. Some with a 7 mag with 160 gr Accubonds. Most tho with a 180 gr Berger. Your PRC will do a good job for you. Bullet placement is everything.
Bruce

7mm PRC would work well for most plains game. If your handloading, I would stick with the tougher monolithic or bonded core bullets. If buying factory ammo, look at the Hornady Outfitter line with the CX bullets. I would stay away from ELD-X or ELD-M bullets for anything bigger than whitetail.

Spot on! Stay away from the bullets designed to ‘explode on impact’. You need the ability to shoot through heavy hide and shoulder bone. The Nosler accubonds LR would be a good compromise of BC and terminal performance.

I’ve hunted PG with a 7 rem mag. It worked well up to eland.
+1 for nosler ABLR bullets.
I elk and deer hunt with 180 grain berger VLDs.

I took my 7Mag on my 3 trips to Africa for plains game. It worked great with 160 AB's, and I intentionally shot through shoulder trying for heart shots. Wound up killing about 60 head including many gemsbok and wildebeest ( love cull hunts over there in Namibia), and a handful of kudu.

@sproutp2003, I've taken probably close to a dozen West Texas elk cows with the 7mm PRC and an equal number of Aoudad, some at significant distance. Consequently, I think you are going to be golden for your plains game hunt. As all of the gentlemen before me have so aptly stated, stick with the good stuff bullet wise, put it in the right spot and you will be providing us with a stellar hunt report upon your return. Good luck and let us know how it goes. @Mac13 - HCR is the gold standard in my book and they don't come any better than Matt and Dave! We will have to compare notes sometime.

Just had one built by Hill Country Rifles. Taking it to Botswana next month. I chose 170 Grain Federal Terminal Ascent.
Excellent, who are you hunting with in Botswana?

@sproutp2003, I've taken probably close to a dozen West Texas elk cows with the 7mm PRC and an equal number of Aoudad, some at significant distance. Consequently, I think you are going to be golden for your plains game hunt. As all of the gentlemen before me have so aptly stated, stick with the good stuff bullet wise, put it in the right spot and you will be providing us with a stellar hunt report upon your return. Good luck and let us know how it goes. @Mac13 - HCR is the gold standard in my book and they don't come any better than Matt and Dave! We will have to compare notes sometime.
That is for sure, Matt is the best. I bought a 270 Weatherby Sheep Rifle from them right after they opened up shop. Best 3 shot group I ever had with it, I covered the group with a dime and you could not see the holes. That was with factory ammo. I'm going to put this rifle on here for sale next week along with a few other things. Need to fund a 375 H&H.

NKWE, Jaco Visser
Nice! I can’t wait for the hunt report. I’ve been considering booking with them for a while.

Yes, I used a 7mmRM in Africa so there is no reason a 7prc won’t work with the right bullets.

Nice! I can’t wait for the hunt report. I’ve been considering booking with them for a while.
I believe Matt Vejar is there right now, so should see his report week after next I would imagine. You can find his report from last year on here, it was incredible. MontanaPat will be there end of May into June and I will be there day before he leaves.

I’m currently hunting in South Africa with a 7 PRC and a 338 Lapua. In the Kalahari I took a Springbuck at 381 yards with the 7 PRC. On the other property south of Vryburg I have taken a Blesbok at 253 yards, only animal I have recovered a bullet on. Blue Wildebeest at 70 yards, went clean through both shoulders. Impala at 340 yards again through both shoulders breaking both front legs, bullet went clean through. I have been using Federal Terminal Ascent 170gr ammo. Out of my 24” barrel I get 3000fps. Hornady ammo was all in the 2800fps range and very inconsistent for me. I’d seriously consider the 170 gr Terminal Ascent for your 7 PRC if you’re looking at factory ammo.

Week before last I hunted Nilgai with a good friend in south texas. He shot his bull at 200ish yds with his hill country rifles 7prc
and it was DRT. I own the same rifle that will go with me to Moz for PG in September.
I have only shot it on the range to date.

I believe Matt Vejar is there right now, so should see his report week after next I would imagine. You can find his report from last year on here, it was incredible. MontanaPat will be there end of May into June and I will be there day before he leaves.
Yes Matt is, I have corresponded with him a fair bit about his hunts. His hit. Last year was incredible! I definitely want to tiger fish in the Okavango as well.

Yes it is suitable, others have said premium bullets - I would add use heavy bullets. Shouldn't be a problem as the calibre was designed for high BC bullets which is pretty much guarantees heavy bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tractorred

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?