Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons & Ammunition

Hullo!

I'm looking for a resource allowing me to drop off & store rifles in Frankfurt while I'm attending Madrid and London for a week or so.
I don't want to lug them along for that leg of the trip (especially in the UK) so I'd like up to 2 weeks storage.
After that, I'll return to pick them up in Frankfort and fly to JoBerg for a hunt.

Planning Lufthansa from DFW to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to JoBerg. Just need a storage site.

Thanks much
Frankfurt airport has luggage services right at the airport, I would email them at gpa@frasec.de to make sure that they will store your specific firearms. See the following link and scroll down to Baggage storage:

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 10.10.39 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 10.11.38 AM.png

Thanks Jerome. I'll reach out to them.

Many thanks to Jerome and all for the excellent advice on this thread. I have a question about transit through the USA as a Canadian traveling with firearms.

I have booked a flight with Delta. It departs in July this year from Vancouver and connects in Newark USA where we change planes and terminals for the next leg to Johannesburg. When I booked the flight, I was told my bags, including rifle and ammunition will be checked thru to destination.

Since then, I have been told I will need to collect my bags in Newark and clear USA customs and immigration before making the next leg of the trip.

This is confusing. I understand from the advice posted here that I am not to take possession of my firearms while in transit in the USA, that its is important to have them checked through. But instructions from the Newark airport and Delta is that I should pick up my bags at arrival in Newark, clear customs and immigration, pass through security again, and drop my bags off again for the final leg of the trip.

When asked, Delta assured my travel agent that this is the correct procedure. I don't believe them.
Your thoughts?

Many thanks to Jerome and all for the excellent advice on this thread. I have a question about transit through the USA as a Canadian traveling with firearms.

I have booked a flight with Delta. It departs in July this year from Vancouver and connects in Newark USA where we change planes and terminals for the next leg to Johannesburg. When I booked the flight, I was told my bags, including rifle and ammunition will be checked thru to destination.

Since then, I have been told I will need to collect my bags in Newark and clear USA customs and immigration before making the next leg of the trip.

This is confusing. I understand from the advice posted here that I am not to take possession of my firearms while in transit in the USA, that its is important to have them checked through. But instructions from the Newark airport and Delta is that I should pick up my bags at arrival in Newark, clear customs and immigration, pass through security again, and drop my bags off again for the final leg of the trip.

When asked, Delta assured my travel agent that this is the correct procedure. I don't believe them.
Your thoughts?
All foreign originated incoming flights, passengers must claim their baggage and recheck it onward for your next flight. The exception is if you arrive from a pre-clearance airport. Vancouver is a pre-clearance airport, so you will clear USA customs and immigration in Vancouver. As such you will not claim your bags in Newark.

thanks wesheltonj! I will attempt to get that in writing from Delta, since their agents are sending me two different messages.

^^^^It's posts like this that make this site GOLDEN. ^^^^

I - and I expect other Canadians - will be watching this with great interest now.

I've always avoided transiting through the US because of this uncertainty. I once spoke to USCBP, and even they expressed some uncertainty about the procedure.

Oddly, at least to me, I, as a non-resident alien, can get a permit from ATF to take my firearms into the US (as I have in the past), but there is no permit to allow non-resident aliens to transit the US with those same firearms. And if a non-resident alien is found in "possession" of firearms in the US without a permit, trouble could quickly ensue.

Keep us apprised, please, Longwalker. And good luck on your hunt.

Your thoughts?
Get an ATF permit 6N1A just to cover your butt. If are required to take possession, then you are covered at least for ATF regulations.

Best wishes for your trip. I certainly hope all goes as stated. Last time I transited US (2018 and friends did in late 2022) with luggage and guns we/they all had to clear customs upon arrival in Seattle, get luggage and then clear and recheck all in again, then do the whole same procedure in Atlanta again. We never actually took possession of guns but had to open, verify and relock, our arriving airline took to other departure airline. Upon return it was same crap, except Delta lost my guns, but procedure was same. Some rule about entry and exit US with guns as a non resident. YES I was assured many times that luggage and guns were checked straight thru, was not true for us. A royal PIA and reason I will never transit US again.

Reason Ethiopian out of Toronto is currently only route I take, plus no gun fees as baggage.

Good Luck, please let us know how it goes.

MB

As stated above, what would be the down side of obtaining a Form.6NIA to cover all your bases?

The Canadian exit, entry paperwork that must be completed and approved from Ottawa prior to exit was only documentation we provided, both entry and exit to US. Same For Ethiopia and SA and all countries I transited or visited. Be SURE to have CBSA sign upon your return. You MUST send to Ottatwa to finalize paperwork. I also suggest confirming that they have updated their system. Or you will get threatening Gov emails. Don't ask how I know.

MB

The Canadian exit, entry paperwork that must be completed and approved from Ottawa prior to exit was only documentation we provided, both entry and exit to US. Same For Ethiopia and SA and all countries I transited or visited. Be SURE to have CBSA sign upon your return. You MUST send to Ottatwa to finalize paperwork. I also suggest confirming that they have updated their system. Or you will get threatening Gov emails. Don't ask how I know.

MB
It's weird but not all temporary export permits require a signature on return. We are about 50/50 on them but definitely get a signature from a CBSA officer on the ones that do require signature. I'm happy our last one didn't require one because our rifles never made it back on same flight as us.

Did not know that, all I have gotten always needed signatures upon return, on all but one trip (Delta lost them for 4 months) weapons were accompanied by me. Last trip Ottawa failed to click complete in their system. After one year I received monthly threatening emails telling me to comply, confirm weapon return and contact them. Or else a list of outcomes. I called Serge and he worked his magic and completed.

I also claim on my return tax form and have signed/annotated by a CBSA that I have purchased gifts that are not on my possession and will be shipped at a later date due to cleaning. D&P trophies. When they arrive and I clear later that form is used for no tax's.

MB

MB
Mark, a signature is not an always required on the Canadian permit upon re-entry. It depends on the last page of the permit you get, and it seems to be random. I had to get a signature when I returned from Mozambique in September 2024, but not when I returned from Ethiopia in March 2024. The officer was surprised when I asked for a signature in September, and I had to show her the place on the form where it asked for a CBSA signature.

The last page of the permit - where it is signed by you and the issuing officer - will tell you if you need Custooms to sign as well - if there's no line or place for them to sign, well, then you don't need them to sign.

If no CBSA signature is required, then you don't have to return the permit to Ottawa to close it out.

Mark, a signature is not an always required on the Canadian permit upon re-entry. It depends on the last page of the permit you get, and it seems to be random. I had to get a signature when I returned from Mozambique in September 2024, but not when I returned from Ethiopia in March 2024. The officer was surprised when I asked for a signature in September, and I had to show her the place on the form where it asked for a CBSA signature.

The last page of the permit - where it is signed by you and the issuing officer - will tell you if you need Custooms to sign as well - if there's no line or place for them to sign, well, then you don't need them to sign.

If no CBSA signature is required, then you don't have to return the permit to Ottawa to close it out.
That's good to know. Wonder what the sig requirement really is? Maybe a random check and confirmation? I must have the "check" him circled as every trip out in last few years has required sig, you are correct that CBSA officers mostly have no clue and Its us who inform and insist on the stamp and sig on their line.

I remember my first few safari's no paperwork, no exit crap, no Gov informing, just airline requirement and go, not even a gun check most countries. Man those were easier times. Handing the Zim officer at Vic Falls your mandated cash for entry import visas and seeing him stuff it in the drawer and getting some stamp.

Wonder what future travel will challenge us with.

MB

Not arguing with you Hank but in 2022 myself and a friend went to the Eastern Cape. My permit required a signature and his did not. But about 2 months after our return he started to receive the nasty little notes that he had not had his permit signed or returned. Contact with Serge solved the problem. I have only ever had one Customs Officer who new about signing my permit. Remember we are dealing with the Canadian Govt! Expect the unexpected.

F
Not arguing with you Hank but in 2022 myself and a friend went to the Eastern Cape. My permit required a signature and his did not. But about 2 months after our return he started to receive the nasty little notes that he had not had his permit signed or returned. Contact with Serge solved the problem. I have only ever had one Customs Officer who knew about signing my permit. Remember we are dealing with the Canadian Govt! Expect the unexpected.
Strange. I’ve never been contacted about a permit which didn’t require a signature. But, as you say, this is government!

F

Strange. I’ve never been contacted about a permit which didn’t require a signature. But, as you say, this is government!
Me neither. Never an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HudsonKauf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.