Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I hesitated a bit of sharing my latest acquisition here, because I'm not really wanting to show off, but rather share in my enthusiasm of my latest find. More importantly, as I could not find almost any other examples from this maker, but after having talked to two different gunsmith's (one who worked for Francotte, the other who worked for Holland & Holland) who both told me this was an artisan who produced a very limited number of guns and rifles, but only of the highest quality. I hope that this thread could perhaps pull some people from the woodwork and share if they also have a Vereecke rifle or gun.

But in any case without further ado: This is a Hubert Vereecke .416 Rigby from 2003, with a true magnum Mauser action from RIMAG (Francotte), fully coverage engraving, some gold inlay and a Bulino (?) engraving of a buffalo on the extended floorplate. I have tried with 5 A-Zoom snap caps, and with a bit of finicking, it is possible to put 4 in the magazine and one in the tube. Pivot mounts (of a brand I'm sure others will recognize), holding a Schmidt & Bender 1.15-4x20 with circle dot (illuminated) crosshair. There is a compartment for a reserve sight, but no reserve sight is present. Nice and thick and soft butt pad, not the nice red one we often see, but very nice against the shoulder. The action is butter butter smooth, it has a set trigger (although I do not intend to use that option much) and a flip up moon-sight. The bluing is a bit gone on the barrel (african carry), and the pores on the wood are starting to open, but I just put some grain sealer and then some oil on the stock, so should be good for now.

No, I have not had the chance to shoot it yet, I still need to find a gun range that will allow such large calibers. Especially one that will allow me to feed a few solids through it as well. I'm thinking Norma PH in 450grains, as it is quite available here, but open to other suggestions. (I'm not a reloader).

If anyone who reads this, owns a Vereecke or knows more about the man and his rifles/guns, please do reach out to me!

And thanks again @rookhawk and @Red Leg for allowing me to run a few things by you. Your advice is always its weight in gold!

Right, some pics too ;)

IMG_5131.JPEG

IMG_5136.JPEG

IMG_5138.JPEG

IMG_5139.JPEG

IMG_5141.JPEG

IMG_5142.JPEG

IMG_5145.JPEG

Nice boomstick! I’m a little green, not gonna lie.

Actually VertigoBE, my Friend, this is an Imperial Magnum action made by Dumoulin (this can be recognized by the typical downward slant of the trigger guard, and the different bolt stop).

Do not consider in anyway that it distracts value from the rifle, by many accounts the Dumoulin Imperial Magnum action is one of the best actions there is and it was certainly sized for the largest calibers, starting with the .416 Rigby (instead of ending with the .416 Rigby as most of the magnum actions do).

Interestingly, the bolt-mounted safety is not the original Dumoulin, which is likely a plus as the Dumoulin safety shroud was more massive and less elegant.

Beautiful rifle. Enjoy :)

Nice boomstick! I’m a little green, not gonna lie.
Thanks @BourbonTrail

the attention to detail on this rifle is insane, for instance the pieces to hang the sling off, have stops so the swivelling part can never touch and mar the wood.

The follower is a multi linkage design, so when you open the floorplate, the follower keeps the rounds up so they do not all fall at your feet.

and there is surely more.

Actually VertigoBE, my Friend, this is an Imperial Magnum action made by Dumoulin (this can be recognized by the typical downward slant of the trigger guard, and the different bolt stop).

Do not consider in anyway that it distracts value from the rifle, by many accounts, the Dumoulin Imperial Magnum action is one of the best actions there is and was certainly sized for the largest calibers, starting with the .416 Rigby (instead of ending with the .416 Rigby as most of the magnum action do).

Beautiful rifle. Enjoy :)
Thank you @One Day... but it is not exactly that either. Technically it is neither and both. I had to go grab my notes I took, (direct from H. Vereecke himself when on the phone with the gun smith who sold me this rifle).

It is an action produced by a Mr. Sylvestre, who produced the imperial magnum action for Henri Dumoulin, and who also produced the RIMAG action for Francotte. Basically the Dumoulin and Francotte actions were purchased from a dedicated independent machinist, not done in-house.

The barrel is from Walter Lothar. The engraving by Jean-Pierre Bailly.

And there is a sister rifle to this one, in .338, with on the side "Alaskan Legend" inlaid in gold. But I never got to see it, it was sold before already.

Yes indeed for Dumoulin and Francotte subcontracting their actions to Sylvestre, but I was under the perception that the ones made by Sylvestre for Francotte had traditional Mauser bolt stops.

Since in the custom world anything is possible, some of them may and some may not have the original bolt stop, and your action may have a mix of preferred features. I personally like very, very much the Dumoulin-pattern trigger guard slant, but I prefer the non-Dumoulin (Francotte?) pattern bolt shroud, exactly like your rifle has :)

In any case, this is vastly academic, and this is a magnificent rifle. Following the Heym 88, you are investing in some gorgeous pieces. Congratulations.

Welcome now to the agonizing decision of using them in the field ... or not. This will really hit home after the first field mishap. I have been there and now only take plastic and nitride in airplanes and to wet places...

Last edited:
Thanks @BourbonTrail

the attention to detail on this rifle is insane, for instance the pieces to hang the sling off, have stops so the swivelling part can never touch and mar the wood.

The follower is a multi linkage design, so when you open the floorplate, the follower keeps the rounds up so they do not all fall at your feet.

and there is surely more.
Sounds like I need to plan a trip to Belgium. ;)

…Or I could just meet you in Africa next time you make it there. :cool:

Sounds like I need to plan a trip to Belgium. ;)

…Or I could just meet you in Africa next time you make it there. :cool:

Always welcome for a beer and a chat about rifles and Africa! :)

The fact that the bluing is worn from use is just awesome! What a beautiful rifle and with a history showing. Congratulations.

Yes indeed for Dumoulin and Francotte subcontracting their actions to Sylvestre, but I was under the perception that the ones made by Sylvestre for Francotte had traditional Mauser bolt stops.

Since in the custom world anything is possible, some of them may and some may not have the original bolt stop, and your action may have a mix of preferred features. I personally like very, very much the Dumoulin-pattern trigger guard slant, but I prefer the non-Dumoulin (Francotte?) pattern bolt shroud, exactly like your rifle has :)

In any case, this is vastly academic, and this is a magnificent rifle. Following the Heym 88, you are investing in some gorgeous pieces. Congratulations.

Welcome now to the agonizing decision of using them in the field ... or not. This will really hit home after the first field mishap. I have been there and now only take plastic and nitride in airplanes and to wet places...

I will not pretend I’m even half as knowledgeable as you are on these pieces of art, just relating what I was told by the gun smith :)

Indeed, between the Heym 88PH (that I still have not received), the Dumoulin Centurion thanks to the Good Gun Deal thread and now this Vereecke I’m starting to get a nice collection going ! Still missing is a truly fitted sxs shotgun, a single shot and a real big bore double, then I’ll have all my bases covered :D

As long as I go to dry places I do intend to take them to Africa though, it would be a shame to leave them in a cabinet at home. All three I mentioned above. In fact the .416 Rigby will marry very well with the 7x64 Dumoulin, as a DG and PG set.

But wet places, then it is polymer for me as well. (Mauser M03, in 223/300WM/375H&H)

Wow stunning. I am beginning to envy you ;)

Wow stunning. I am beginning to envy you ;)

You are always welcome here to come for a shoot! Btw, when is your hunt report due!!! That victory of yours is something to be envious of!! :D

The fact that the bluing is worn from use is just awesome! What a beautiful rifle and with a history showing. Congratulations.

Thanks! Apparently it only went to Africa twice, but to Cameroon, CAR (as far as I remember the gun smith, who was a personal close friend of the late previous owner) and some of the wetter places.

Last edited:
You are always welcome here to come for a shoot! Btw, when is your hunt report due!!! That victory of yours is something to be envious of!! :D
We sure will do some day.

Yeah I have to begin to start my report. I know I am procrastinating. My deadline is the end of summer, but I hope sooner;)

I am so glad that you are now the caretaker of that wonderful thing. Just truly an exquisite rifle.

WOW!!! VertigoBE, you have EXCELLENT TASTE when it comes to rifles. We should all be so fortunate to be able to own rifles of this caliber / quality. Please feel free to "show your enthusiasm" when and if you decide to make another similar purchase.

Why is it an agonising decision...its obviously been carried around in the Bush already.....shock horror....I honestly don't get it when people come out with what you have said....and I have commented same before on other threads....use the things...what they were built for... :E Shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaitlynRos

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!