Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, IBO,
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, and USA
How many here are bowhunters only? How many will go home empty handed as opposed to changing hunting methods? I am not looking to stir the pot on the merits of Gun Vs. Bow, I am just interested in discussing how you came to be a bowhunter, as this is my preferred method of hunting.

I started off as a bow hunter only because I was too young to legally own a firearm. I spent about a decade honing my hunting skills on impala, warthog and other small game with my compound bow. I did a few memorable safaris to Zimbabwe which were bow only trips. When the time came I moved onto rifles and discovered the world of reloading, but I consider myself a better hunter having learnt to do it the hard way.

It's a personal thing for everyone.
I own plenty of firearms and I'm currently the president of a private, non-profit rifle range with 400 members. But my preferred method of hunting is with a bow and all of my out of state, out of the country, hunts are done with a bow.
When I can no longer draw a vertical bow, I'll get out of archery all together and revert back to firearms.

I live to bow hunt, but have shot a few things with a rifle. Africa is one place I only have bowhunted and have taken over 30 anaimals. Mostly setting water some stalking. My next trip I'm going to mostly stalk

I had been bowhunting for the last 25 years.
Had hunt with my bow in different places like Africa, Alaska, Canada, US, New Zeland and Mexico
Still using rifle but very sporadic

I live to bow hunt, but have shot a few things with a rifle. Africa is one place I only have bowhunted and have taken over 30 anaimals. Mostly setting water some stalking. My next trip I'm going to mostly stalk
took to stalk hunting the last trip, brings the excitement level up a bunch.....

Been Bow hunting since I was a child as that's all I was allowed for a while, from stalking birds & rabbits to baiting Sparrows/Mynas & Rats from a blind.

Really puts the 'hunt' into hunting still do a bit in no firearm areas or country's where it is hard or near impossible to handle a firearm eg: like Japan/South America .

But I love my rifles & firearms, pisses me off the cost of descend hunting bows & arrows/heads here in NZ & they don't last as long as a rifle, with new models coming each year, lighter faster so your old bow is darn near a throw away as can't sell them for any where near the out lay !

I bow hunt Whitetails at home and thoroughly enjoy it. I think a stalking bow hunt in Africa would be the epitome of hunting. Sitting in a blind watching a concrete water hole, however, doesn't interest me. To each his own though.

Been Bow hunting since I was a child as that's all I was allowed for a while, from stalking birds & rabbits to baiting Sparrows/Mynas & Rats from a blind.

Really puts the 'hunt' into hunting still do a bit in no firearm areas or country's where it is hard or near impossible to handle a firearm eg: like Japan/South America .

But I love my rifles & firearms, pisses me off the cost of descend hunting bows & arrows/heads here in NZ & they don't last as long as a rifle, with new models coming each year, lighter faster so your old bow is darn near a throw away as can't sell them for any where near the out lay !
don't buy in to the newer lighter faster stuff......350 5 yrs ago is still 350fps today.....been using new bow money for trophy fees....

True that, I was using my old bow for years & taking a ribbing from the "in" crowd but this is way back, maybe a 275fps bow with too light a arrow, but as you say any 350fps bow will get most stuff done & will into the future, now if a 380-400Fps bow comes out I bet even you will want to trade up ?

PS I used/borrowed a real old girl when hunting in Japan .

I agree with @zip4644 here. There was a big jump in technology about 10 years ago, so comparing a 10 year old bow to bows from lets say 2018 to current, there is a big jump, but anything after that is much of a muchness. Don't go chasing a new model every year.
The only rule that we have in our camp is if you don't shoot a Mathews, you have to use the ladies bathroom. ;):cool:

I agree with @zip4644 here. There was a big jump in technology about 10 years ago, so comparing a 10 year old bow to bows from lets say 2018 to current, there is a big jump, but anything after that is much of a muchness. Don't go chasing a new model every year.
The only rule that we have in our camp is if you don't shoot a Mathews, you have to use the ladies bathroom. ;):cool:
I am guessing the ladies room is where you keep the Mathews bows so the ladies will have something to clean up with when they are finished......lol.....Get serious get Hoyt....ha

I would have to agree with @zip4644 but I know there are some fine/Ok Mathews bows, but I think the Hoyt are a cut above them !

I would have to agree with @zip4644 but I know there are some fine/Ok Mathews bows, but I think the Hoyt are a cut above them !
No my friend, I have not had a single hunter shoot my Mathews and say they were not impressed from their Bowtech/Hoyt.

Hoyt/Matthews are yuppie bows… PSE all day.

Sorry, I just had to jump in- I grew up in the land of PSE. Hoyt/Matthews are fine …for city boys. :E Rofl::A Outta:

To the OP’s original topic: I hunt in the US probably 75-80% with a bow, but I took a rifle to Africa. I wouldn’t hunt DG with a bow, but I really think spot and stalk for PG would be fantastic.

Last edited:
I've tried to buy a Mathews twice, and always found the BowTech works best for me. Guess I'm not welcome around the fire?

wbull1_7.jpg

Guess I’m banished to the port-a-john, I have an Elite Kure and love it :X3:
My head PH, Nick also shoots and Elite. Shot it for years. Sold it to the bow shop and bought a Mathews. Said when he walked past the shop, they had it in the window with new strings, new sight etc.
His version of the story was, that it was like seeing an ex girlfriend after she lost a lot of weight and looking fit again.
He went back and bought his old bow back.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markpapi100

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!