How long you can keep guns in SA?

Doubleplay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zim, Argentina, Uruguay, Turkey, Ireland, England,Czech Republic, Hungary, Bulgaria, Canada and all over US
Does anybody know if you can leave the guns with your PH or in a safe spot and then come back to hunt say after 6-8 months?
Or you have take them out with you when you leave?
I received very contradictory answers and I'm wondering..
What if you leave the country by land border?

I would assume that your permit to bring a gun into SA has an expiry date. Your PH would be in possession of an unlicensed firearm in your absence.

Having just filled out an SAPS 520 for the first time, I'm no expert. But it seemed like with the way they had me put the dates in on that form it was only valid for the time I would be in SA for my hunt. It was dated for the day I arrived and the day I flew out.

Interesting question. My brother just told me of his neighbor who traveled to Zim last June / July on his first trip to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo. He left his rifle there in Zim (with the PH?, with the Safari Operator?, dunno) with the intent to return this May / June to hunt Hippo.

Whatever rifle paperwork was used I hope he added some time cushion for the return trip.

I would assume that your permit to bring a gun into SA has an expiry date. Your PH would be in possession of an unlicensed firearm in your absence.
Yes there's an expiry date but how far forward it can be ?
What if you are hunting with the same PH second time in 6 months?

It seems I read somewhere, but haven't found the information again. I think was when I was researching information on purchasing property or length a person could stay in RSA without a VISA.

Anyways, seems citizens of the US, Canada, and UK or Europe aren't required to get a VISA and may stay in RSA for a maximum of 90 days.

I would therefore surmise that a person, without a VISA, bringing in a firearm, would only be authorized to have a weapon(s) import permit for a maximum of 90 days.

Contact Henry Rifle Premits for a definitive answer to this question. And if they can legally store/ secure your firearm(s) for the length of time you plan on being out of the country (RSA).

Interesting question. My brother just told me of his neighbor who traveled to Zim last June / July on his first trip to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo. He left his rifle there in Zim (with the PH?, with the Safari Operator?, dunno) with the intent to return this May / June to hunt Hippo.

Whatever rifle paperwork was used I hope he added some time cushion for the return trip.
People do these things. This does not make them legal. This is not a good idea.

It seems I read somewhere, but haven't found the information again. I think was when I was researching information on purchasing property or length a person could stay in RSA without a VISA.

Anyways, seems citizens of the US, Canada, and UK or Europe aren't required to get a VISA and may stay in RSA for a maximum of 90 days.

I would therefore surmise that a person, without a VISA, bringing in a firearm, would only be authorized to have a weapon(s) import permit for a maximum of 90 days.

Contact Henry Rifle Premits for a definitive answer to this question. And if they can legally store/ secure your firearm(s) for the length of time you plan on being out of the country (RSA).

Yup most countries i think in southern region only allow non residents or citizens a max of 90 days in a 12 month period.....

My information is old, as I havent been to SA in 11 years. But from 2008 to 2010 I worked in South Africa on a fly in - fly out basis. I would mostly be there for 8-12 weeks ate a time, but sometimes as little as 4 weeks at a time, and I did that continuously for about 2 years.

Prior to going to SA for my first work trip, I already new a few guys there as I had shot at world championship matches against them (I was on the Australian team, they were on the South African team). So when I knew I would be working there, I got in touch with the head guy in SA for the shooting sport, and he told me to bring a rifle and compete with them at their local matches.

So for pretty much every time I flew into OR Tambo, I had a rifle with me. Each time I arrived, I went to the SAP office in the airport, gave them the required paperwork with was my Australian registration certificate, my travel itinerary showing flights in and out of SA, and an invite to whatever shoot I was going to attend while I was in SA. I would get issued a permit around my flights, so the permit began on arrival, and ended on departure from SA. So every time I left SA, the rifle came home with me. Then I would do it again when I headed out of Australia about 4 weeks later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)