How do you sharpen your knife?

I rub mine on a concrete floor like they do in prison.
503: we are All hoping you are referring to ”a knife” !!

Last edited:
Ive started carrying the Havalon knife with replacement blades-lightweight, sharp enough for caping and cheap to replace blades. Several versions available. I do have a couple fixed blade knives for heavy work and a bone saw.
I have my knives professionally sharpened when I get home.

As bad as I hate to admit it (since I make knives, and for the most part only use the knives I make for pretty much any task from processing game to cutting up a steak to opening the mail).. the havalon is very hard to beat as a "game" knife...

Ive got one of the Havalon Talons and a mix of different blades ranging from filet to drop point/hunter to gut hook blades, etc.. it is extremely effective.. the blades are scalpel sharp out of the pack.. and keep an edge for a reasonable period of time.. and when they finally do go dull, you just toss the blade and replace it with a fresh edged piece of steel that costs about $10..

As bad as I hate to admit it (since I make knives, and for the most part only use the knives I make for pretty much any task from processing game to cutting up a steak to opening the mail).. the havalon is very hard to beat as a "game" knife...

Ive got one of the Havalon Talons and a mix of different blades ranging from filet to drop point/hunter to gut hook blades, etc.. it is extremely effective.. the blades are scalpel sharp out of the pack.. and keep an edge for a reasonable period of time.. and when they finally do go dull, you just toss the blade and replace it with a fresh edged piece of steel that costs about $10..
MDWEST: My Wife also loves the “Havalon” and keeps one in her skirt along with a Lady Bic… (Shame on YOU!!)

While I've got a bunch of stones and other gadgets, I've been using this the most lately. It has two diamond plates, a ceramic rod, and a leather strop. It is called the Guided Field Sharpener from Work Sharp. It is small and light enough to carry in your pack.

1709073038944.png

I rub mine on a concrete floor like they do in prison.
As long as you don’t store it in your ass like they do in prison I guess that’s alright

I guess I'm the only one who uses crock sticks.
Nope you’re not, I love my crock sticks as tools To maintain all my blades, serrated, scissors, ect . Easy to pack and use in the field .but I don’t consider them a sharpener .
and I think I would buy a havalon blade just because of the un esthetic look and feel
of a disposable knife/ box cutter style knife

I try not to, it discolors the metal and makes it smell funny.
My cousin worked in corrections and the size of some of the shanks they found are disturbing to say the least.

Reactions: 503
I make knives as a hobby. Not a professional by any means. I have tried about every sharpening process / system out there. I have settled on a Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition with belts going from course, medium, fine, extra fine, and leather with rouge. It gets them from a new, blunt edge to a hair shaving sharp reasonably quickly. If it will shave hair, that's good enough for me. I don't have the patience to hone them for hours with stones.
IMG_2247.jpeg

As long as you don’t store it in your ass like they do in prison I guess that’s alright
Thriller: Thank You for Not posting any pictures of that

I make knives as a hobby. Not a professional by any means. I have tried about every sharpening process / system out there. I have settled on a Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition with belts going from course, medium, fine, extra fine, and leather with rouge. It gets them from a new, blunt edge to a hair shaving sharp reasonably quickly. If it will shave hair, that's good enough for me. I don't have the patience to hone them for hours with stones. View attachment 589880
Hey jacks: nice looking knives and like the Burl handles. I would think Work Sharp motorized belts are OK to use on a very limited basis - they remove more steel then traditional honing so with regular use they wear away too much blade for me to be comfortable with — but they are fast and work, especially on a very dull knife. I would use them more for a heavy Cleaver or Ax.

For the most part I use a Smith's 2 sided diamond thingy that stores in the handle. Then a steel to smooth them out.
A couple years ago I made a couple knives out of ATS34, didn't thin them out sufficiently before heat treat so instead of the Lansky set up I used to use, I bought a Work Sharp, had them sharp in minutes instead of hours.
I rarely use the Work Sharp, but when you need it, it's invaluable.

Been using this knife for 2 years and it’s been razor sharp since I bought it. Good for general hunting & camping duties. Lifetime guarantee on the edge that I can send back for touching up. Might be the knife that goes on my next safari…to use cutting chicken at dinner. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 589759

Most of the time I’m reaching for my Havalon with a few spare blades and a leatherman for hunting . So simple and always sharp. Great for traveling light while turkey/duck/goose hunting where the amount of gear can be a burden.View attachment 589760

In short what I’m saying is that when it comes to my hunting knives, I’m lazy. LOL. Fine kitchen knives get the Lansky diamond stones. Utility blades and garage stuff gets the Work Sharp. I also have a couple of the pull through honing tools in the kitchen.
How do you control the utility blades while using the Work Sharp?
BTW, I don't think I've seen any "fine" kitchen knives if they are stainless steel, it is invariably cheap stuff no matter the brand or price...sad

This at home, and the EZE Lap brass handled one like above in the field. I also have become a lot more reliant on a Havalon.

View attachment 589351
@Tundra Tiger
I use the Ken Onion work sharp at home. Best invention since sliced bread and button up boots.
Being basically a lazy old bastard I have an inverter mounted in my 4x4 so I can use it away from home. I use a 19 inch fine oval diamond hone for touch ups.
Bob

Thriller: Thank You for Not posting any pictures of that
Thankfully I don’t have any photos and am not brave enough to google such things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IngridBiag

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!