Hippo in Namibia

MarkCZ

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
Probably a long shot but does anyone know who would do hippo hunts in Namibia? We are all hunting with Khomas but one guy wants a Hippo so if it could within a sensible distance of them it would be good.
Markcz

I just got back from hunting with Philip it was great. Unfortunately for your friend the high desert mountains of the Khomas region and all of central Namibia is not hippopotamus territory. The caprivi strip is a long ways away and different price bracket than ranch hunting.

I suggest your friend focuses on what makes the Khomas area unique i.e one of the best and only places to free range hunt Hartmanns zebra and look for old Oryx bulls in the desert mountains. I hope to return soon. It’s a special place

Last edited:
Mark, I know a PH that specializes in all Namibia hunts including Hippos. I did a hunt with him over summer. He is a great guy and became a good friend of mine. His name is Brian Roodt with Quality Hunting Safaris. If you’re interested, PM me for more info. I have a highlight video of a recent Namibia Hippo hunt he put on.

I’ll second that opinion. Brian will take good care of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to contact Jacques Strauss with @Kowas Adventure Safaris who is a sponsor here. They have the Mahango concession in the Caprivi. My son and I hunted buffalo with them this summer. If we wanted hippo, we had the opportunity for three on land and countless in the water. I could have shot one in the water from my bed.

Here are two of the bull hippo on land.

My only complaint is I had a bushbuck living under the deck which held my tent. She would come to bed around 3-4am and wake me up.;)

1696197731292.jpeg

1696197910826.jpeg

1696198304819.jpeg

1696198392270.jpeg

Probably a long shot but does anyone know who would do hippo hunts in Namibia? We are all hunting with Khomas but one guy wants a Hippo so if it could within a sensible distance of them it would be good.
Markcz
Check with @Jamy Traut Hunting Safaris. I’ve hunted hippo with them twice. Excellent group, for certain.

There is lots of opportunity for hippo in Caprivi, but it’s a 12 hour one way drive or a domestic flight from Windhoek from where you’ll be hunting. You’re not going to find many properties with hippos in central Namibia. I can think of one because they cater to photo tourists as well, but it’s not a regular off take to just casually add one. Save hippo for another trip.

Markcz
Totally different hunts. You must be in a DG hunt in Caprivi for Hippo. I recommend hunting with Dalton & York in the Omay for hippo.

I hunted in the Caprivi in 2022 on the Kwando River. We saw lots of hippos every day. The ones we encountered were in the river but we were not hunting them or looking for any on land. In Namibia, the Caprivi is probably your only chance for hippo hunting.

Thank you all for your input and advise. I dont think it is going to be possible for the obvious reason of the distance. It just means that I will have to revisit Namibia at at a later date.
Markcz

Thank you all for your input and advise. I dont think it is going to be possible for the obvious reason of the distance. It just means that I will have to revisit Namibia at at a later date.
Markcz
I also come to the relaxation that Namibia will also take a few trips. Such a diverse country. You will love the Khomas highlands

Markcz

Katima Mulilo is a quick (and cheap) flight from Windhoek so logistically it should be quite easy to add on before or after the rest of the hunt. Dangerous game hunts generally have a specified number of days required in camp which usually starts at 5 or 7 minimum.

[mention]ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS [/mention] had hippo on quota the last time I checked. I hunted with them in April last year and saw hippo regularly and heard them every night close to camp.

All the best

I just got back from hunting with Philip it was great. Unfortunately for your friend the high desert mountains of the Khomas region and all of central Namibia is not hippopotamus territory. The caprivi strip is a long ways away and different price bracket than ranch hunting.

I suggest your friend focuses on what makes the Khomas area unique i.e one of the best and only places to free range hunt Hartmanns zebra and look for old Oryx bulls in the desert mountains. I hope to return soon. It’s a special place

We need pictures!!!!!!!

A LOT of hippo on the Ume. Plenty of trophy quality bulls too.
I needed bait for my leopard one day On this last trip to the Omay. We just headed for the lake shore began glassing and in a few hours had a bull on Land with my double!

We had this bull on land right near where the boat is kept. We spotted him right after breakfast and made a stalk. Could have taken him many times but he was smaller then what I was after, at least that's what Dalton said. I had no real understanding on how big these can get until after we pulled mine from the water.

Dalton did say he would have taken him if it was for bait or if I was insistent on hunting one on land.

72.jpg

73.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
professor

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)