Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe, RSA, Namibia, Cameroon, Mozambique, Canada, USA
Many vintage firearms and even some new ones use a glossy black bluing on their barrels, problem is manufacturers nowadays don't manufacture scopes with a gloss black finish to match. Problem solved. A company selling a variety of scopes re-finishes them with Cerakote and gloss black is one of the colors available! I just got mine in the mail the other day and it looks great. They claim it will not void manufacturer warranty either. Just thought maybe some of you collectors and aficionados might be interested in a solution.

https://us-cerakote.com/leupold-vx-freedom-3-9x40mm-cds-duplex-gloss-black-174182/

Attachments

• US Cerakote | Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40mm CDS Duplex Gloss Black 174182.pdf
    166.7 KB · Views: 53
Nice to see a classic black gloss on a completely modern multi coated optic. I gave up finding one for a Ruger #1. Appreciate that you shared the 411

Many vintage firearms and even some new ones use a glossy black bluing on their barrels, problem is manufacturers nowadays don't manufacture scopes with a gloss black finish to match. Problem solved. A company selling a variety of scopes re-finishes them with Cerakote and gloss black is one of the colors available! I just got mine in the mail the other day and it looks great. They claim it will not void manufacturer warranty either. Just thought maybe some of you collectors and aficionados might be interested in a solution.

https://us-cerakote.com/leupold-vx-freedom-3-9x40mm-cds-duplex-gloss-black-174182/
PIGSTICKER I think that’s Great - love a deeply blued barrel on a rifle and consider it the proper match to a fine walnut stock. The flat black creokote metal coatings on most modern rifles looks worse then the finish on my BBQ Grill and I don’t care how weather resistant they are - I don’t mind cleaning my gun. My hesitancy on getting a good scope “refinished” would be on 2 things: 1). The durability of this “new” finish is UNproven. 2). I’d need to verify from the SCOPE MANUFACTURER that they will still honor original warranty in ALL areas - including if the New finish “fails”

Awesome. Thank you! I’ve been picking up NOS leupolds at gunshows solely for the fact they’re glossy. I been stockpiling a few for future purchases.

Be good to expand optical choices other than leupold.

Handsome. I once bought an outdated Leup-1 (without clicks) only just because of the gloss to fit my rifle.

Handsome. I once bought an outdated Leup-1 (without clicks) only just because of the gloss to fit my rifle.
VASHPER: I would do the same thing as long as that scope appeared in excellent condition. I have Not found any difference in accuracy or adjustability between the older Leupold VII scopes withOUT click adjustments and the newer VII with “Clicks”. In my limited experience the precision of the “clicks” in lower end scopes (under $1000) can vary and while they may state “1 click = 1/4” it can be more or less then that. While I like the newer “click” scope adjustments they are not to be fully trusted in low to medium price scopes —- at least not the ones I’ve used.

HAD THE SAME GUYS TURN A BLUE LEUPOLD SCOUT SCOPE TO A SATIN STAINLESS COLOR TO MATCH OUR STAINLESS 1894 A HANDFULL OF YEARS AGO. BOTH SCOPE AND FINISH STILL GREAT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeremyKell

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone