General Pros and Cons of different countries

Aixenmemphis

AH member
Reaction score
There is so much information to digest, for a newbie, when trying to narrow down where to hunt in Africa that it can be a bit overwhelming. I would love to hear a concise list of the general pros and cons of each country y’all have hunted (where they stand out and where they may fall short). Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered.

Thanks Cullen

South Africa
Pro’s: Sophisticated, good infrastructure, safe, one flight from USA or Europe possible, quick travel time to site, low cost hunts, wide range of animals, you won’t bump into locals with goats and cattle during your hunt (those fences keep them out, huge plus.)
Cons: Not so ‘wild’, ORT rifle import aggro (minor).

Zimbabwe
Pro’s: large truly wild areas, safe, wide range of indigenous animals, easy rifle clearing at airport, very professional outfits.
Cons: roads are poor, fly whenever you can.

Let the others talk to countries they have specific knowledge upon.

To add to Kevins post on Zim.
Terrible roads in some areas, bad in others.
Safe, low crime, except Harare
Friendly people
Well trained PHs
Plenty of elephants
Few fenced game ranches (take that as a good or bad, depending on your taste).
Game laws strictly enforced.
Prices reasonable

Lon

Namibia
Pros: big ranches are the norm, good mix of high and low fence opportunities with most outfitters, high quality hunting outfitters and PHs overall and a high ethical standard, very low human population, usually very nice camps and great food, good roads let you travel easily, bugs typically aren’t a problem
Cons: Rabies has had a big impact on kudu in certain areas, drought can have a big impact certain years, dangerous game aside from leopard is very limited

South Africa:
Pros: Very diverse ecosystems and landscapes in different parts of country, easy travel to reach from US or Europe, good roads in country, wide variety of species including buffalo easily available, largest number of outfitters and PHs to choose from of any country, very good prices, usually very nice camps and great food
Cons: lot of small farms, ranch hopping model creates a lot of driving between hunting areas, game ranching and fencing is intense in certain areas leading to put and take of various forms being common, widest range between good PHs and outfitters and the worst ones, competition has created a lot of deceptive marketing, very large human population, very developed country missing the wild factor in many places, ticks can be very bad in certain areas

Zimbabwe
Pros: very experienced and qualified PHs with long term tracking teams, very good pricing on dangerous game hunts compared to other wild areas, true tracking hunts, almost exclusively unfenced wild areas where PHs hunt dangerous game on every hunt
Cons: there are many marginal areas still being marketed that probably shouldn’t be, poaching is a problem, increasing human population is a problem, limited plains game in many areas and in some cases not a priority for PH, malaria in most areas
Pro or Con: camps and food can be quite basic, tsetse flies in some areas

For a first hunt, I think plains game in north central Namibia gives the fewest options to make a mistake and have the best experience overall. I’ve never had a bad hunt but I learn more what I want and don’t want with each hunt I do. There are several I wouldn’t repeat knowing what I know now.

Last edited:
I think we all enjoy overthinking our hunts. If you find a good outfitter, you will almost certainly have a great hunt. With rare exception, I have generally always heard very good feedback on most hunts in most countries. Each country offers something a bit different, fauna, flora, animals, etc, and all are worth experiencing. Put your energy and focus on finding a solid PH and treat yourself to what will be a great hunt and even greater adventure.

It's a great question, if we had a listing of the animals you would most like to hunt, we could help narrow down some thoughts.

I have enjoyed all of my safaris. The Zambezi valley is likely top of list, followed closely by Botswana and the upper Luangwa valley of Zambia. For me pluses and minuses all revolve around; remoteness, presence of lion, leopard, elephant and buffalo, a true bush camp, and above all a tracking hunt. I have zero interest in cruising around in the bakkie looking for an animal to stalk. Places where I have experienced these pluses:

Zambezi Valley Zimbabwe
Save Conservancy Zimbabwe
Upper Luangwa Valley Zambia
Ngamiland Botswana

I have been on ranch hunts in Namibia and RSA and thoroughly enjoyed them. However, they were add ons to one of the above hunts. Accommodations and food were outstanding but the hunting was spot and stalk. I have no problem with it ethically, I just wouldn’t fly all the way to Africa to do it.

South Africa
Pro’s: Sophisticated, good infrastructure, safe, one flight from USA or Europe possible, quick travel time to site, low cost hunts, wide range of animals, you won’t bump into locals with goats and cattle during your hunt (those fences keep them out, huge plus.)
Cons: Not so ‘wild’, ORT rifle import aggro (minor).

Zimbabwe
Pro’s: large truly wild areas, safe, wide range of indigenous animals, easy rifle clearing at airport, very professional outfits.
Cons: roads are poor, fly whenever you can.

Let the others talk to countries they have specific knowledge upon.
Good points. I would say HRE is much slower than JNB if you have preapproved rifle permit.

There is so much information to digest, for a newbie, when trying to narrow down where to hunt in Africa that it can be a bit overwhelming. I would love to hear a concise list of the general pros and cons of each country y’all have hunted (where they stand out and where they may fall short). Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered.

Thanks Cullen
It is hard to cover everything to give you a feel for the different countries. Africa is a huge place!
I would want to ask you some questions first.
What is your budget? In other words are you going to likely pursue a $10K PG hunt or a $25K DG hunt?
What do you want to get out of the experience? Is taking 15 big trophies a must?

You will want to think about these things and I would say watch videos to get the feel for the landscape in different areas. My posts here & my YouTube for one has a few safaris for you to watch. The selecting an outfitter video will help As well. It is here in AH.

That’s exactly the type of info I’m looking for. Plains game will be the focus of my first (of hopefully many) hunts. I am still contemplating my wish list of animals to hunt and I’m sure I will be asking many more questions along the way. This forum is great. Thanks Cullen

Thanks Cullen
how about Mozambique?

The more of Africa I experience the more convinced I am that Namibia offers the first time safari hunter the best experience for their money.

I did my first safari in Mozambique with the focus on buffalo, I wanted a free range wild experience. I have subsequently done 3 other hunts in RSA, some areas were cow fenced and some high fenced but much more affordable. I wouldn’t trade any of them, just pick an outfitter that you think you will get along with and go for it. Most likely if my first safari was strictly plains game I probably would have ended up in RSA. But in my opinion if you pick the right outfitter you can’t go wrong with any of the popular Southern Africa countries.

Let me add to the question.
What about gun import regulations for sporting hunter?
I know South Africa and Namibia are friendly.

Lets better comment where import of rifle is difficult? In which countries?

Clearing in Beira in Mozambique was slow but efficient, that was 9 years ago so not sure about now though. Definitely don’t know about Maputo or Tête, which I THINK are the 2 other international airports.

I have taken rifles to Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, Mozambique and South Africa. Many of these represent multiple trips. I have never had a problem. I am always careful that all my permits are in order.

Zimbabwe very easy. If you have your Visitors temporary form filled out prior to traveling, which is very simple. You open case show rifle serial #. They do pay close attention to ammo.

One tip if you go in with lets say 40 rds. they want to see you depart with 40 mt & loaded rds. I have never known anyone having a major problem, but it can cause delays. If you accidentally forgot a box of .375 H&H try and find a box of fired cases before you head to the airport.

Lon

USA

What of Zambia?
It’s been over 15 years since I last hunted Zambia but this is what I’d say

Pros: huge concession areas set aside for hunting, only place to hunt kafue and black lechwe plus has red lechwe too, huge sable and very good roan, lower pricing than Tanzania, true wild Africa experience with dangerous game, high plains game numbers, and nice camps
Cons: higher pricing than most surrounding areas aside from Tanzania, it appears there is a dispute on the tenders for concession areas every 10 years or so and hunting partially closes for while, very limited private land options

I’ll add Cameroon too
Pros: unique species such as lord derby eland, bongo, and others, very different culture and hunting than Southern Africa, very experienced PHs with some French PHs and some from other countries like Zimbabwe and Tanzania working their slow season, Savannah season is January-March generally before any hunting is available in Southern Africa
Cons: not recommended for first time traveler to Africa, country very strict with visa, gun permit and inspections, military checkpoints, many areas are in decline from serious poaching and cattle encroachment, very hot temperatures and long tracking can be very difficult on some people, common occurrence your bags don’t arrive and internal flights are delayed, extremely expensive charter fees

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KalaMoniz

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,