Gaiters or blousing garters?

btheis13

AH senior member
Reaction score
I plan to wear pants 100% of the time while hunting. Would you suggest that I still wear gaiters or would blousing garters do the same task?

I have only been on one safari, but I wore boot bands the entire time. On my trip, I found Moz. to be Just like all the other dry, brushy places I have been. I brought a pair of safari gaiters, as suggested by outfitter, but ended up giving them to one of my trackers who was using old socks for gaiters. I came to the conclusion those little safari gaiters were really only needed for shorts. Curious of others responses.

I have only been on one safari, but I wore boot bands the entire time. On my trip, I found Moz. to be Just like all the other dry, brushy places I have been. I brought a pair of safari gaiters, as suggested by outfitter, but ended up giving them to one of my trackers who was using old socks for gaiters. I came to the conclusion those little safari gaiters were really only needed for shorts. Curious of others responses.
Channelkat: I hunt where there are a lot of ticks & chiggers and they all find a way to get up pants legs. For years I’ve tucked-pants-into-boots and that has worked well - keeps the bugs out….. so what if I look like a “douche” and maybe my Son is ashamed to be seen with me —- I don’t get any bug bites !!

Once your dressed give a couple spays of permethrin

Channelkat: I hunt where there are a lot of ticks & chiggers and they all find a way to get up pants legs. For years I’ve tucked-pants-into-boots and that has worked well - keeps the bugs out….. so what if I look like a “douche” and maybe my Son is ashamed to be seen with me —- I don’t get any bug bites !!
I do the same. I tuck pants into my socks and I wear gaiters also and everything is hosed down with permethrin!
My boots are ankle high so not much boot to tuck pants into.
When I am mowing I tuck my pants into my boots which are regular western boots that are first tucked into my socks. Worked great for years until last summer I flung a baby snake towards myself with the weed eater. I thought it went into my boots. I did not know I could get a boot off so fast whilst having a weed eater strapped to myself :ROFLMAO:

Do what works is what I say. We are hunting and not in a fashion show. ;)

I do the same. I tuck pants into my socks and I wear gaiters also and everything is hosed down with permethrin!
My boots are ankle high so not much boot to tuck pants into.
When I am mowing I tuck my pants into my boots which are regular western boots that are first tucked into my socks. Worked great for years until last summer I flung a baby snake towards myself with the weed eater. I thought it went into my boots. I did not know I could get a boot off so fast whilst having a weed eater strapped to myself :ROFLMAO:

Do what works is what I say. We are hunting and not in a fashion show. ;)
Gina, sure tucking pants into Boots works - for YOU….it’s OK for You to look-like-a-girl !!

I use the simplest gaiters by Africa Sporting Creations with excellent results. Thin impala leather, slip on with draw string at top.
DBD2AED3-6531-40B5-8BBD-8BA43BFE35BE.jpeg

Gina, sure tucking pants into Boots works - for YOU….it’s OK for You to look-like-a-girl !!
lol!!
Fair enough however I would not and do not think a thing of it to see a man do the same when hunting or out working around a bunch of bugs.
When I’m decked out with bug suits and bug nets I think I look ridiculous but I just remind myself the animals don’t care how I look. ;)

The only reason I wear gaiters is fo keep rocks, twigs and thorns out of my boots. And yes, I'm usually wearing shorts in Africa. So, if the cuff of your pants is low enough to stop stuff from ending up in your boots and you've never had that issue elsewhere you don't need gaiters. I've yet to have any issues with ticks in two trips to Namibia and two to South Africa.. Maybe that's luck but when I was in tick heaven in Florida and Georgia the ones I got were not on my ankles. They got brushed onto my legs from the brush and grass and worked their way up the outside of my pants or bare leg. I kept my shirt tucked in to prevent them from biting at the belt line and usually caught them crawling up before they bit.

I wear my gaiters even if wearing long pants and I soak them down with extra bug dope for extra protection against creepy crawlies. I use the buffalo gaiters from African Sporting Creations and my wife uses the ones from Texas Hunt Products.

Does anyone else wear boot bands?

Unfortunately the ones from Texas Hunt Products are no longer available. I'm thinking the canvas ones from Boyt's are the best for the $.

Does anyone else wear boot bands?

Unfortunately the ones from Texas Hunt Products are no longer available. I'm thinking the canvas ones from Boyt's are the best for the $.
Not since I left the Air Force 30 years ago. And while I was fortunate to get the ones from Texas Hunt I have heard good things about Boyt's gaiters. The leather ones mentioned would make my feet too hot.

I wear canvas gaiters with pants and shorts. I wear them more to keep my laces from hanging up and becoming untied and to keep rocks and twigs out.

Safe hunting

I found these online. I may buy them and have them shipped to my outfitter.

Attachments

• BURKE AND WILLS OILSKIN BOOT GUARD GAITER.pdf
    482.5 KB · Views: 12
I plan to wear pants 100% of the time while hunting. Would you suggest that I still wear gaiters or would blousing garters do the same task?
I have all days worn pants while hunting. Shorts have never been my thing, unless I'm in high heat and humidity (Yucatan Mexico and Be!ize). I spent most of my life in Northern California where day time temps during deer season usually ran somewhere between 85 and 100 degrees. I once packed a buck up out of a canyon at 109! Africa has not seemed that hot or bug infested to me. I used to get bitten up by chiggers in NCal, but then I started rubbing DEET on my lower legs before getting dressed. I've continued this while hunting in Africa. I've never had a tick or chigger attack me while doing that., Anyway I figure I can stop any tick or chiggers with my .458, but the little monsters can be hard to hit when they're in a full frontal.charge.

Okay, that last bit was a joke, but the only time I've felt a need for gators was when I was hunting in snow. That will.not be a problem in Africa.

Drawstring closures around the ankles are fantastic for what you're asking. Propper make very nice pants that aren't too hot and are v durable. They work best with boots that have a high ankle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carlo74371

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.