For those Wanting To Try Cutting Edge Bullets

Daisy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
They have 8 common calibers they have loaded ammo. They are about 50 bucks, and they have a 20% off coupon floating around. Try them out!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 8.29.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 8.29.59 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
Following this thread since we are considering becoming a Cutting Edge dealer -- would really like to know if they have a 20% direct coupon active before making that commitment though...

That being said, still curious what bullet types, calibers, and weights folks are interested in.

Following this thread since we are considering becoming a Cutting Edge dealer -- would really like to know if they have a 20% direct coupon active before making that commitment though...

That being said, still curious what bullet types, calibers, and weights folks are interested in.
It’s a good customer 20% coupon. Got directly to my email.

Talk to Michael458 on this board. Did all the research on their safari line.

You need to use smaller than caliber and fast ammo. A bit different than what the old guard preaches. Lonnie at superior ammo has a lot of info too.

I don’t think there is a better bullet. If you did custom ammo loading with CEB you would rack up.

Reactions: RLL
Talk to Michael458 on this board. Did all the research on their safari line.

You need to use smaller than caliber and fast ammo. A bit different than what the old guard preaches. Lonnie at superior ammo has a lot of info too.

I don’t think there is a better bullet. If you did custom ammo loading with CEB you would rack up.
What do you mean smaller than caliber? They offer a 650 gr. .550 raptor for example. Isn’t that the proper bullet for a .550 round?

Question best answered by Michael. My understanding is no.

I’m getting 175gr Maximus and 270gr safari raptor loaded for 375.

And 225gr safari raptor and 370gr safari raptor loaded for 416.

CEB love speed

Big fan of CEB Bullets here is what I have used
338 win mag 187gr ER Raptor
.348 win 175gr Raptor
375H&H 235gr ER Raptor
400H&H 400gr Solid 370gr Raptor
450NE 480gr Solid 450gr Raptor
458 Lott 450 Solid 420gr Raptor
505 Gibbs 525gr Solid 485gr Raptor
All with great success in Africa and Australia and North America ....
But the "Safari Bullets" have a few draw backs....
Safari Raptors not fond of Brush
Safari line Low BC start dropping after 150+ yards
ER Raptors and Maximus High BC
Would not use in a herd situation as you get pass through with both Solids and Raptors

I have loaded 375 H&H, 230 grain to 3000 fps. Plan to use on elk this fall. Used 130 grain in 275 Rigby on cow elk last fall. Hit at the top of the neck, almost took her head off. Used 370 grain in 450/400 Nitro Express on cape buffalo. One shot quartering left, DRT. No heart, no lungs when processed. I did pay the insurance shot. All were Safari Raptors. All shot with Ruger #1's. Great bullets!!!

What do you mean smaller than caliber? They offer a 650 gr. .550 raptor for example. Isn’t that the proper bullet for a .550 round?
Idk. The 577 (.585 diameter). I ended up with (.583 ? Diameter) "something like that: Woodleigh's.

If this has any bearing on the response?

Last edited:
I think what he meant was with this type of bullet, you use a lighter bullet than usual for that caliber. For instance, a 250 grain instead of a 270 grain in a 375. Check the CEB website, you will see lighter bullets than you might expect for a given caliber.

I'm going to try some (if they get here in time).
Question. With a normal bullet (Partition etc) I would expect it to mushroom and punch through shoulder bones etc if the bullet is of sufficientsuze. What if I hit a grizzly in the shoulder with a 375 or 358 CE bullet. The shank will continue but what about the petals? It sounds like the shank alone would be sort of like a solid. I would not want to shoot a grizzly with a non expanding solid. Seems like a broadside would be deadly but a quartering on shoulder shot?

I'm going to try some (if they get here in time).
Question. With a normal bullet (Partition etc) I would expect it to mushroom and punch through shoulder bones etc if the bullet is of sufficientsuze. What if I hit a grizzly in the shoulder with a 375 or 358 CE bullet. The shank will continue but what about the petals? It sounds like the shank alone would be sort of like a solid. I would not want to shoot a grizzly with a non expanding solid. Seems like a broadside would be deadly but a quartering on shoulder shot?
Would be absolutely devastating and produce more damage than an expanding bullet.

Would be absolutely devastating and produce more damage than an expanding bullet.
Okay so you'd expect the petals to plow through a shoulder bone. Good.

Thinking crazy here. I dearly love my 308... if the CE are as good as they claim I think I might consider it for a big bear. The 30-06 and 300 work with traditional bullets.

Read this thread on bullets. Michael did most of the ballistics and performance research on the safari raptors. He has been a great resource to me.

I was able to get the 400gr CEB solids to hit with 400gr A-frames with a little adjustment on powder charge out of my 416 Rigby. I never hunted with the 416 before I sold it. I have used the A-frame/ CEB solid combo out of several different calibers (378 weatherby, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery)...
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/cutting-edge-bullets-for-large-dangerous-game.42925/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgmakeovers

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!