Footwear to pack

Wear whatever you normally wear outdoors and is comfortable. For me that is Courtneys and/or Merrills, but do what works for you.

I know this topic is probably beat to death
I need some new boots for my upcoming safari and also work
help With opinions
1.Courtney selous ( very expensive and got a bad online review)
2. Bell Morgan
3. Jim Green Ranger
4. wildebees
5. Merrill 3/4 top water proof
I truly can’t deside , maybe should stick with my redwings? Add others I should consider

camp shoes are going To be some crocks
socks alpaca or wool

No idea what this bad online review is about Courteney Selous, but it was probably by someone that can't read or translate UK to EU/US sizes. Add to that, African Sporting Creations is ridiculous patient with people trying on pairs by mail to ensure a perfect size fit.

Bottom line, Courteney Selous are the gold-standard for safari hunting. Preferably two pair, preferably well broken in before the hunt.

American shoes/boots are just gross. They smell. The liners fall apart. The leather starts to come apart. They are very heavy. I've easily spent $10k on boots in my lifetime and they all got broken and discarded due to rot, liner erosion, sole delamination, or other myriad of issues expected from a MSRP $200 boot that was made for $8 in the third world sweat shops.

My three pairs of courteney boots, and my two pair of courteney shoes have had thousands of miles in them and I just plan to buy more. My first two pairs are totally broken in and they were refurbished, re-soled, relined, and conditioned at the factory for a COMBINED price of $65 total. Yep, $1000 in custom boots @MSRP returned to better than original condition for $65 after ten years, a dozen safaris, and countless days afield. And the smell? When you take them off, they smell like fresh tannery leather, not putrid black mold like the American poly-cotton lined nonsense.

Just my take. Your foot may feel differently.

I did a season of videoing hunts last year and walked behind clients the whole time and here is my 5 c.

1. Foot health is your priority. Blisters and twisted ankles can ruin your hunt. Danners with high ankle support did in two hunters last year. Both got blisters and one also turned her ankle.One switched to new balance trainers with no problems. The other hunted less. American and European hiking boots are built wrong for Africa. They have stiff soles and stiff ankle support. In the bush you have to lift your feet more and walk differently. Lighter half boots are better with a softer sole to roll through your foot rather than stiff steel reinforced hiking boots.

2. You need quiet soles. Most hiking boots are like a thumping rubber mallet combined with crushing a bowl of cereal. Trainers are also bad- no thump but serious crunch. A softish rubber sole with no soft midsole is quiet- you are hunting after all, not hiking.

I wore mainly a pair of caterpillar safari boots and Courtney's. The caterpillars were lighter but I had a couple of punctures- they eventually just wore out after a number of years.I am with rookhawk- American hiking boots are not great for most of africa. I also like the wildebeest boots made in South africa but it is not easy to find a light ankle boot,all Leather and puncture proof.Only Leather touching your skin. And to be honest, I use cotton socks- thin as they come. Double socks if you had a long walk yesterday. Double socks prevent rubbing as the inside sock sticks to your foot and the outer to the boot. Soft cloth lining in your boots rubs-ask any cyclist- soft plush seats will teach you all about friction real quick.

Does it have to be Courtney's- no but I would look for all Leather with a flexible sole that is quiet.

I did a season of videoing hunts last year and walked behind clients the whole time and here is my 5 c.

1. Foot health is your priority. Blisters and twisted ankles can ruin your hunt. Danners with high ankle support did in two hunters last year. Both got blisters and one also turned her ankle.One switched to new balance trainers with no problems. The other hunted less. American and European hiking boots are built wrong for Africa. They have stiff soles and stiff ankle support. In the bush you have to lift your feet more and walk differently. Lighter half boots are better with a softer sole to roll through your foot rather than stiff steel reinforced hiking boots.

2. You need quiet soles. Most hiking boots are like a thumping rubber mallet combined with crushing a bowl of cereal. Trainers are also bad- no thump but serious crunch. A softish rubber sole with no soft midsole is quiet- you are hunting after all, not hiking.

I wore mainly a pair of caterpillar safari boots and Courtney's. The caterpillars were lighter but I had a couple of punctures- they eventually just wore out after a number of years.I am with rookhawk- American hiking boots are not great for most of africa. I also like the wildebeest boots made in South africa but it is not easy to find a light ankle boot,all Leather and puncture proof.Only Leather touching your skin. And to be honest, I use cotton socks- thin as they come. Double socks if you had a long walk yesterday. Double socks prevent rubbing as the inside sock sticks to your foot and the outer to the boot. Soft cloth lining in your boots rubs-ask any cyclist- soft plush seats will teach you all about friction real quick.

Does it have to be Courtney's- no but I would look for all Leather with a flexible sole that is quiet.
Ordered these should be covered and some crocs for camp
3 pairs = cost one pair Courtney
IMG_0235.png
IMG_0302.jpeg
IMG_0271.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SantiagoRa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,