Flaming Gorge Reservoir, Wyoming Lake Trout

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
For my father in laws 80th birthday, we went to Flaming Gorge. He caught a 32” Lake Trout (biggest fish he ever caught) and my son in law caught a 41”. I caught two 26” ones and my father in laws buddy caught a couple of 24” trout. Kinda rainy and cool much of the time but we had a great time.

IMG_1692.jpeg
IMG_1681.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
For my father in laws 80th birthday, we went to Flaming Gorge. He caught a 32” Lake Trout (biggest fish he ever caught) and my son in law caught a 41”. I caught two 26” ones and my father in laws buddy caught a couple of 24” trout. Kinda rainy and cool much of the time but we had a great time.

View attachment 540678View attachment 540679
Congrats! It’s been several years but I’ve done that trip with a friend a few times. We went with a local guide and it was great. It’s an incredible fishery. Have you been going yearly?

Congrats! It’s been several years but I’ve done that trip with a friend a few times. We went with a local guide and it was great. It’s an incredible fishery. Have you been going yearly?
No, first time I’ve fished there. My son in law befriended our fishing guide when he went ice fishing with him on Granby Lake last February. The guide Rhett lives in Granby and is a great guy.

No, first time I’ve fished there. My son in law befriended our fishing guide when he went ice fishing with him on Granby Lake last February. The guide Rhett lives in Granby and is a great guy.
I’m glad to see there’s still big fish there!

I’m glad to see there’s still big fish there!
Yes. It’s hard to imagine with a lake as gigantic as Flaming Gorge that there’s a food shortage for the fish, but that’s what we were told. They want fishermen to release the larger fish as they’re prolific breeders, but keep the smaller ones as they tend to eat the Kokanee salmon fry which has led to a food shortage for the larger fish. I guess they want the lake to keep its status as a trophy Lake trout fishing destination.

Wonderful spot. I’ve fished the outflow many times.

Congratulations CEH, those were some nice trout! I’ve only ever caught rainbows, so it’s hard to imagine trout looking like salmon. :A Thumbs Up:

Next time you go you should spend a day floating the green river for brown trout. Flaming gorge and the green are some of my favorite places on earth!

Looks like he had a fantastic 80th birthday!

Congratulations on multiple accounts. Hope to be in the outdoors when I'm 80! Nice fish!

Congratulations on multiple accounts. Hope to be in the outdoors when I'm 80! Nice fish!
Oh yeah and he STILL elk hunts with us and can walk up the mountain. He's the best elk hunter I've ever known and taught me how to hunt elk. He has two 340 bulls that he got on public land without a guide. Back in the late '70s, he would take his horse and a mule and spend two weeks in the Salmon River Wilderness in Idaho by himself archery hunting for elk. He's been to Alaska four times and has taken a moose and several caribou on a DIY hunt and also a Dall sheep with a guide. He was and still is quite the hunter but I couldn't get him to go with me to Africa last year. Go figure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZelmaWolfg

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone