First time to Africa question

Midway sells cardboard ammo boxes. You can print labels for them: Bob’s custom ammo, caliber, bullet weight, etc.. let’s be honest, our reloads are better than anything federal et al puts out. Let’s get a little credit for it.

Midway sells cardboard ammo boxes. You can print labels for them: Bob’s custom ammo, caliber, bullet weight, etc.. let’s be honest, our reloads are better than anything federal et al puts out. Let’s get a little credit for it.
I'm cheap, I just print them out on my computer and then use clear packing tape to attach them.

I too make "official looking custom labels" and clear tape them to new plastic cases. Headstamp has to match gun as previously mentioned and you won't have any problems.

I’ve been to Africa (South Africa, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe) and have carried ammunition packaged in plastic cases each time. Never any issue. Some airlines state that ammunition must be packaged in factory boxes or containers specifically designed for ammunition. They don’t want ammo rattling around loosely in ziplock bags and such.

This is how many of the airlines have it stated but I have flown to Africa many times with the clear, green, and blue ammo boxes you can buy at the local sporting goods store and have never had a issue with them. I even use electrical tape around them to secure that no ammo will get loose and roll around within the plastic container that I put my ammo in to travel with.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 7.19.29 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My last trip over, Airlink in JNB did ask me to open my ammo box, of course mine was in a factory box, they may have spend all of three seconds looking at it. But SAPS never did. But if you’re concerned about a factory box, I am sure you can find one on EBay.

Now in Zambia, they opened and counted each round and the empties too. Took about a hour screwing with those guys.

My ammo cases are made of clear plastic. Be cautious, and simply adhere to the airline's regulations.

If going to RSA don’t worry and use Henry @Rifle permits. Do what he says.

If traveling more exotic airlines then uniformed ticketing agents will be the biggest concern. Especially if connecting in a liberal big city (Europe ) where guns are evil!

One thing to watch was the limit on weight of ammo- they will include the weight of the entire separate hard sided case with locks so depending on how many rifles and how big of a Safari it will limit how many rounds you can take. - get a light self locking case, or at least aluminum locks

Wow, that’s a LOT of empty cases. Must have been shooting African prairie dogs to have gone through that much ammo? LOL

I can’t recall exactly, but three countries were involved and north of 60 critters. No prairie dogs LOL.

I've always taken my own hand loaded ammo. If you research it a little more the idea is to have the ammo in a container meant to carry it so that isn't loose and sloshing around. I've carried my ammo in plastic MTM boxes and never had a problem.

And they are going to make you check your ammo box when leaving Joburg. You can have it in your bags when you get there, but flying out you have to check it separately so you have extra baggage to pay for. That's why I always make sure all my rounds are shot (leave with ph)before leaving so I don't get charged.

This is how many of the airlines have it stated but I have flown to Africa many times with the clear, green, and blue ammo boxes you can buy at the local sporting goods store and have never had a issue with them. I even use electrical tape around them to secure that no ammo will get loose and roll around within the plastic container that I put my ammo in to travel with.

View attachment 599341
Dad used a cross-section of bicycle tube to hold the plastic cases together. Worked great. Of course those were the golden olden days of fat tire bikes. Doubtful a slice of ten-speed racer tube would stretch over a box of 416 Rigby. It's good to see the fat tire concept is being resurrected. I'm tired of scraping tape glue off my plastic ammo boxes (incidentally, WD40 cleans that crap off like magic).

In Zim, Namibia, and RSA I’ve flown with my ammo packed in shell holders but no boxes. They’ve been inspected in Namibia, and Zim. I’ve been asked to open and show them in the states as well on multiple trips (Qatar, Delta, and British). Never checks on internal Air Link flights. No one has said anything about needing factory boxes, though i normally pack some in the vehicle incase i need to grab them last minute.

And they are going to make you check your ammo box when leaving Joburg. You can have it in your bags when you get there, but flying out you have to check it separately so you have extra baggage to pay for. That's why I always make sure all my rounds are shot (leave with ph)before leaving so I don't get charged.
Who is "they" ? and what airline did you fly out of Johannesburg with and where, too?
I've never had this happen to me.

Who is "they" ? and what airline did you fly out of Johannesburg with and where, too?
I've never had this happen to me.
My experience has been the same as @randallhebert Maybe 4 times with Delta from Johannesburg back to Atlanta prior to Covid. I always assume I’ll be asked to check the ammo separately, but it depends on the agent at the counter. I’ve never been charged for ammo as a 3rd luggage. More recently on United I had to recheck my gun and ammo separately as well at Cape Town but again not charged for ammo as a 3rd luggage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonathanG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.