LivingTheDream

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Just got an email saying Dallas Safari Club convention will be in Atlanta starting 2025 and will go through 2029, will a Dallas show/gala happening in the summer.

Seems like we have had some big shifts with the shows post COVID.

What do you guys think of the change?

I think change is good. Some new people will visit shows who otherwise wouldn’t because of distance.
I actually watched their YouTube video before I read the email. The video says the convention center in Dallas is being demolished and rebuilt and won’t be available again until 2029.

I think change is good. Some new people will visit shows who otherwise wouldn’t because of distance.
I actually watched their YouTube video before I read the email. The video says the convention center in Dallas is being rebuilt and won’t be available again until 2029.

I figured that was the reason for the move. I honestly think moving it around is a good idea as it gives new people a chance to attend and learn about the organization.

I think ATL offers a lot of flights as well, though the city itself is definitely different than Dallas.

I figured that was the reason for the move. I honestly think moving it around is a good idea as it gives new people a chance to attend and learn about the organization.

I think ATL offers a lot of flights as well, though the city itself is definitely different than Dallas.
I like the idea of DSC moving around, but it does seem odd for "Dallas" Safari Club to hold its convention in Atlanta.

I've lived in Dallas and Atlanta. And several other places. I think Dallas and Atlanta are more similar than different. I tell folks that Dallas is just Atlanta without the hills and trees.

I realize that Atlanta has a hub airport like Dallas, Houston which has a hub airport and a large convention center seems like it would have been a better choice, especially since HSC moved back to the Woodlands.

San Antonio, has a huge convention center and lots of hotel room, but a shit Airport might have been better too.

I like the idea all the way through 2029....although by then I will probably be too old to enjoy the shows. Will be about time for my grand son to take over.

I'm not a fan of this decision. However, my opinion is probably biased since I'm from the DFW area and I'm not a big fan of Atlanta.

The show being in Dallas was the only reason I could make it. I'm not at a point in life where I can take off to go to a show. Unfortunately this means I will be missing out for a few years. It's a shame because the kids love the show.

I think the move will ruffle some feathers but in terms of attendance an dollars spent, I think they will have a banner year for at the very least 2025.
I like attending DSC and this will make it a bit closer to do so.

As a Life member of DSC I had mixed emotions about the temporary move to Atlanta. The move to Atlanta for 5 years sucks for me personally because I can drive to Dallas in about 3-1/2 hours from Houston and now I will have to fly to Atlanta. Obviously, they had no choice to move it to another location based on the Kay Bailey Hutchison reconstruction project, but selfishly, I would have preferred they moved to the George R Brown in Houston or maybe San Antonio. I do think there will be some benefit as it will undoubtedly attract a new crop of folks to attend.

I am not sure they will see an increase in attendance but I hope they do. The reason that SCI Nashville saw a big increase from Vegas and Reno is that Nashville is within driving distance for 2/3 of the SCI members.

I for one, am happy Texas is expanding it's border.

DSC is only temporarily moving to Atlanta until the new convention center is completed in Dallas.

There are a couple mentions of Houston. I think that would be a lose lose situation for both clubs and outfitters. They both be competing for many of the same hunters within driving distance. A new location without an already planned show is a better choice, probably played in to choosing Atlanta.

Missed two shows since 1986, once for ice storm and the other for covid. Looks like I'm in for a 5 year dry spell. I'm sure there was a lot of soul searching by the uppers and I certainly don't envy having to make that decision. Best of luck DSC or rather ASC.
Might be a good time to try SCI in Nashville for a change.

It’s mind boggling to me that Dallas can’t rebuild the convention center quicker than 5 years. Think of all the convention income Dallas is going to lose over that time. The hotels in the downtown area of Dallas will be hurting.

It’s mind boggling to me that Dallas can’t rebuild the convention center quicker than 5 years. Think of all the convention income Dallas is going to lose over that time. The hotels in the downtown area of Dallas will be hurting.
I completely agree. How the heck does it take 5 years to demolish and rebuild that?! It should take 3 years tops. The downtown hotels and restaurants & bars are going to suffer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamgee

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.