Driving Yourself in Africa

I have written a bit about my experiences renting and riding motorcycles on various continents: North America, South America, Australia and Africa. For the first 3, I recommend being very experienced and very skilled. For Africa, it is best if you have nothing left to live for.................FWB

I have written a bit about my experiences renting and riding motorcycles on various continents: North America, South America, Australia and Africa. For the first 3, I recommend being very experienced and very skilled. For Africa, it is best if you have nothing left to live for.................FWB
Agreed! As I posted earlier, I have driven in some of the most congested traffic on the planet- namely Asia. Places where traffic law is merely a suggestion. 100X more congested than anything I've experienced anywhere else. I would drive tomorrow in that congestion in Asia. But, I would not drive in Africa unless under ideal circumstances and only with a group and only in parts of rural Namibia or Botswana. And I would not drive anywhere in Africa at night. Anyone contemplating driving in Africa, take all the cautionary posts in this thread anyway you like.... :)

Also, if you live in a country that drives on the right side of the road, there is no way to fully adjust to wrong side driving in bassackward vehicles. Reactions and instincts take time to switch over. I tried it very briefly in RSA…. once- no mas!
:)

I would think a bunch of Big Game Hunters wouldn't fear driving in challenging circumstances :)

Im just teasing you all, yes you have to have your wits about you and pay close attention to your surroundings and pick the less populated routes and bad things do happen, but to me, thats the fun of Africa! I think of the old quote "Africa does not suffer fools gladly" and maybe I am the fool :)

I have driven from east coast to west across the continent in cars, trucks, Boda Bodas, and a motorcycle from Capetown currently on my way to Kenya, Ive spent nights in the bush along the highway, slept in an open Land rover at the border of SA and Moz being eating alive from mosquitos. Been stranded in the sand in Namibia having to walk my heavy motorcycle for miles to get out of the sand, been stranded in Ghana with two flat tires, punctured a fuel tank on the motorcycle and take days to find a local to weld it. Dangerous? perhaps to my wife but under most circumstances the locals will help you if you ask.

"In case of doubt, walk confidently "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DottyB500

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.