Delta from Atlanta to Joberg

Both Qatar and Emirates will tag you as having “special” checked luggage…. i.e. your firearms. They’re quite obsessed in ensuring your bags and you don’t get separated. Trust me, this is a good thing. It would be the last reason I’d be hesitant to use either.

My flights with both put Delta and for that matter any other airline I’ve been on to shame. The layover in Doha or Dubai along with cost are the factors to consider in your decision. The layover and cost however needs to be balanced out that with Delta you arrive in the evening and are all but guaranteed to have an overnight in Joburg. I love RSA, but I care not to spend any more time in Joburg than I absolutely must.
Just did a search for Emirates business class for May 6th of next year and it is a total round trip flight for two at $5728.10. That is much less expensive than Delta. Just more time getting each way. That includes access to the lounge in Dubai. I am blown away at the seats and amenities compared to what Delta offers.

Just did a search for Emirates business class for May 6th of next year and it is a total round trip flight for two at $5728.10. That is much less expensive than Delta. Just more time getting each way. That includes access to the lounge in Dubai. I am blown away at the seats and amenities compared to what Delta offers.

If that is total cost, or about $2900 per ticket, you'd be wise to book that as fast as your fingers can type it. I'd encourage you to use a TA, such as PWP travel as was recommended by @Altitude sickness a couple posts ago. They will make all the paperwork easier for you and have the contacts with the airlines to ensure all is ready to go when you show up to check in with your rifles.

I would book that yesterday if that for 2. That would be an unbelievable price. Firearms are very easy in Emirates, everything is online.

I would book but need another month to go by for early June departure. Otherwise my CC would be hot right now from use.

The flights from Miami to Dubai don't list a premium economy but the business class is amazing and cheaper than Delta. Just have a 5 hour layover in Dubai. How much of a hassle is it to have your firearms with you in your layover in Dubai?
One thing to be careful of when travelling with firearms is to look at how many carriers are involved in your flights. Some airlines will not take firearms as checked luggage if the itinerary contains flights with more than just them. Qatar, for example, will not even consider your request to travel with a firearm if the ticket has flights on anyone else. A knowledgeable travel agent can help with their knowledge around best carriers for firearms travel and any booking restrictions.

I lucked out on my flight home last night. When I was leaving Windhoek for Jo’burg, I noticed a big block of seats (4 rows) in the main cabin(economy) blocked out as unavailable on the Delta app. Moved my seat to the row in front of them. They had additional cargo weight, so had cut a bunch of passengers. Once airborne, they let some of us move to those rows. Had three seats to myself to actually lie down on.

You certainly can’t plan on this, but certainly worth checking Delta app regularly in case the opportunity does come up.

IMG_4811.jpeg

For those who have flown Delta to Johannesburg on Flight 200, what is the temperature like on the plane? I'm wondering if I should pack a lightweight fleece in my carry-on.

I have never needed on the flight itself. I do pack one in my carryon tho, depending on month of arrival I have needed when landed. Mid June and July could be cool when arriving.

I’m cold natured and never needed one. They will also give you a small blanket with pillow for the flight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KalaMoniz

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,