Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
Got a call and email today from Jay Jarrett about my CZ .450 Rigby build and we discussed a few more options including optics. He favors the Swaro 8I, but would build on whatever makes me the buyer happy. My first inclination is to go with a Leupold product, because that's what I have on my CZ .375, and every other rifle I own. Are there other brands that would be suitable for a rifle like this that I haven't thought of? I'm looking for a 1-6x, widest field of view possible, lighted reticle with no clutter, and of course long eye relief. This rifle is not meant to be a long range proposition, rather, dealing with extra large bovines that have a slightly diminished sense of humor will be job 1.

What brands and models should a guy be looking at? Night Force, Schmidt & Bender?

Nightforce followed by S&B for durability, I have both. The S&B tends to be big and heavy. Glass is good in both. But for long eye relief I use an Aimpoint or a Trijacon 1.5-4X25 with a picket post reticle (one of the best reticles I have come across. Use the pointy of the coloured triangle for accurate distance shooting and just cover what you want to hit with the Triangle for up close and fast shooting. This has 5" of eye relief and is tough. Don't ask me how I know. The bad news is Trijacon made a bad and to me stupid move and do not make them any more. replaced it with a 1-4X25 with 4" of eye relief.

I believe that the Leica Magnus 1-6,3x24 has the widest field of view with 43,2 meters, but the Swarovski z8i 1-8x24 is not far behind if one wants 1-8 instead.

I am assuming that Jay Jarrett is Kenneys son? If so you will receive a fine dependable, accurate rifle.

I would keep two things in mind a .450 is a heavyweight when it comes to recoil. Eye relief and physical weight of the scope. Personally I would recommend Jay mount the scope for you. If you are equipped to do it yourself and have the proper equipment great.

As to scopes I prefer the older 1.5 to 5 Swarovskis with the DG reticle, I have one in the US if interested.

A long time ago Kenneys rifles (M70 action) came with 2 Leopold scopes. I wish I would have had him build me one in .404J

Lon

I am assuming that Jay Jarrett is Kenneys son? If so you will receive a fine dependable, accurate rifle.

I would keep two things in mind a .450 is a heavyweight when it comes to recoil. Eye relief and physical weight of the scope. Personally I would recommend Jay mount the scope for you. If you are equipped to do it yourself and have the proper equipment great.

As to scopes I prefer the older 1.5 to 5 Swarovskis with the DG reticle, I have one in the US if interested.

A long time ago Kenneys rifles (M70 action) came with 2 Leopold scopes. I wish I would have had him build me one in .404J

Lon
What does the DG reticle looks like? Is it similar to the 4AI of todays Swarovskis?

4ai.jpg

What does the DG reticle looks like? Is it similar to the 4AI of todays Swarovskis?

View attachment 589955
I believe so except it has a larger cicle around the dot. A friend of mine has it I can check with him. I believe as an all around rugged scope there is non finer. At one time this was meant to go on a client rifle.

I believe so except it has a larger cicle around the dot. A friend of mine has it I can check with him. I believe as an all around rugged scope there is non finer. At one time this was meant to go on a client rifle.
I see, that is my thinking aswell, I have just commissioned a do-it-all rifle for myself in .375 H&H to be equipped with a Swarovski z8i 1,7-13,3x42 with just that reticle. Hopefully this will be able to handle all domestic hunting (moose, brown bear and wild boars) aswell as future trips to Africa or/and Alaska.

Got a call and email today from Jay Jarrett about my CZ .450 Rigby build and we discussed a few more options including optics. He favors the Swaro 8I, but would build on whatever makes me the buyer happy. My first inclination is to go with a Leupold product, because that's what I have on my CZ .375, and every other rifle I own. Are there other brands that would be suitable for a rifle like this that I haven't thought of? I'm looking for a 1-6x, widest field of view possible, lighted reticle with no clutter, and of course long eye relief. This rifle is not meant to be a long range proposition, rather, dealing with extra large bovines that have a slightly diminished sense of humor will be job 1.

What brands and models should a guy be looking at? Night Force, Schmidt & Bender?
Jay is correct that the right scope for your new custom rifle is Swaro Z8. If Z8 enters the discussion, the discussion is over. Please consider my recommendation of the Z8 1.7-13.3X. I can assure you that no one can tell the difference between 1X and 1.7X especially on Swaro glass. I have a video on here that explains this greater versatility that this scope provides.

Jay is correct that the right scope for your new custom rifle is Swaro Z8. If Z8 enters the discussion, the discussion is over. Please consider my recommendation of the Z8 1.7-13.3X. I can assure you that no one can tell the difference between 1X and 1.7X especially on Swaro glass. I have a video on here that explains this greater versatility that this scope provides.
It was a good video and part of my decision making process for choosing the z8i 1,7-13,3x42 over a more traditional choice aswell, so thank you for doing that video.

For anyone who is googling for the link I have it here:

EE scope, the #4 reticle consists of 3 heavy lines with a circle, then a small red diamond. Z6

It was a good video and part of my decision making process for choosing the z8i 1,7-13,3x42 over a more traditional choice aswell, so thank you for doing that video.

For anyone who is googling for the link I have it here:
Thank you and congrats on a fantastic scope!

Lon
Yes, Jay is Kennys oldest son. As friendly a man as you could ever hope to meet.

I have about two dozen LPVO scopes and worked on the development of a number in my old job, and I put the Swarovski Z8i on my Heym 416 and NECG 375. It’s the right scope for this particular job.

The Nightforce NX8 is a good option but the reticle selection isn’t great for DG hunting. It is the golden age of quality scopes though and most optic companies make a decent one. I’m very fond of the Leica Amplus and Magnus line, as well as the Kahles K6i/K8i if you want what amounts to a more robust Swarovski.

Swaro's website claims FOV is 193.8 ft at 100 yards! If that's even close, then this is the one to get.

One possible downside is that the great field of view is achieved by going below 1x in magnification, have never tried one myself but if it is anything like the regular z8i 1-8x24 it is probably a great riflescope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielSide

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone