Clothing in firearm case

jimbo1972

AH member
Reaction score
Please feel free to move if in wrong forum.
For my first Safari I am traveling to Johannesburg from Atlanta then on to Port Elizabeth. I have a Tuffpak and plan to have two rifles in soft cases inside the Tuffpak. Can I pack clothes in the case? I see different comments on some posts. Thank you in advance.

I don’t know about clothes but would caution you on the weight of your luggage. Make sure you know what is allowed per your airline and that includes ammunition.
No need to overpack, taking too much is a common first timer mistake.

From what I have seen anymore it will depend on what inspector you get.

I've flown over twice and haven't placed clothing items into my rifle case. I have a carry on and a suitcase to use for clothes. And since you also need a case for the ammo the clothing suit case works for it also until you get to Joberg where you will need to remove it.

TSA made me remove clothes from my 2 rifle SKB case.

Just to verify: I can pack my rifle in a soft case within my Pelican? Didn’t think that was allowed? Heading over in April, for second time.

I always pack extra "stuff" in our pelican case (knives, binos, etc).. but havent packed clothing in the case before..

That said, I bought a tuffpak last year (picked one up brand new at an estate sale.. literally still had all the tags attached, etc) for $100.. I was planning on taking it this year and putting some other "stuff" in there as well (soft cases, and maybe a few clothing items)..

I transport my guns in a Tuffpak. I put rifles in soft cases, put those in the Tuffsack, pack some clothes and boots around everything and lock it up. Be sure you’re within weight limits, as with two guns you can’t put too much other stuff.

I’ve never had a problem with authorities with this approach. I’m traveling back to Africa again in a few weeks, with only one rifle. There’ll be more clothing than usual for padding.

I always put some clothes in. I can't remember an issue doing so. Like was mentioned, be cautious of weight limits. Almost everyone does daily laundry so you don't need a ton of clothes. Having said that the East cape Mtns in July/Aug could get snow so be prepared for cold if that area is your destination.
Bruce

Just to verify: I can pack my rifle in a soft case within my Pelican? Didn’t think that was allowed? Heading over in April, for second time.
I've used thick Bore Stores Gun Socks to protect the rifles inside a Pelican case on a trip to RSA with no issues. This also kept the rifles from sliding anywhere around inside because I didn't cut the foam. I just removed the center piece and stacked stuff in so it filled the rectangle up and was still under the 50 lb limit.

Also packed the optics, knives and a few other items in there...all wrapped up in Bore Stores socks of some sort. Again, no problems.

The gun socks were used on the rifles when they were on the bakkie (when not using the Pelican) during transport back and forth to hunting areas.

When we go back I'll be using a Pelican 1700 for travel that has pre-cut foam for the rifle and optics, but I'll likely also pack the gun socks for when I'm not using the hard case.

Never had a problem with it.

Dillingham Alaska to Anchorage to Seattle to Doha to J'burg to Port Elizabeth, twice in the last three years. Alaska Air, Qatar Airways, and Airlink. I had clothes in my gun case both times, zero issues. Never occurred to me someone would say no.

I don’t use a Tuffpack, so it probably doesn’t apply. I transport my rifles in a 2 gun wheeled aluminum rifle case with cut out formed foam and protective padding so my rifles are very snug. I may have a couple slings and an ammo pouch in there, but that’s it. I also don’t bring soft cases. I pack very light. I would pack as light as possible.

IMG_3941.jpeg

Last edited:
I pack very light. I would pack as light as possible.
:S Agree:

Do this. Make the tough decisions at home to not bring EVERYTHING, and you will thank yourself later.

I often buy a new pair of boots, break them in, and leave them at the end of my Safari for someone whom they will fit and can use them. One less thing to pack home.

Then I just wear my Merrell slip-ons home… Just don’t leave your pair of $500 custom orthotics in the boots and then need to have your PH mail them back!

My main problem has always been overpacking. Subsequently, each trip gets a little lighter as time goes by. I've always taken 2 rifles to Africa, and the next trip will be only 1 rifle. I'm hunting DG on every trip, so I've decided to just take a single rifle suitable for everything. The R8 makes that easy. One small case and one or two barrels makes into a lightweight package. ALWAYS BRING A SOFT CASE. You'll be glad you have it when you're hauling your rifle around in the truck every day.
As far as clothing is concerned, you really only need at most 3 changes of clothes, extra boots, and a light jacket. That means I wear one set on the plane, and pack the other two in my bag with ammo and a few other items. So, with a medium size suitcase, a small carry on bag and a gun case, you have everything you need. No need to pack clothes into your gun case. That just adds to the hassle of having to unpack all that stuff in order for them to check your guns. And if you're going to Zim, you'll be thankful that you kept it simple. Trust me.

In my pelican case, for travel, i put:
- rifle
- knife
- telescopic tripod shooting stick
- rifle sling
- few meters of rope

I always pack clothes in my rifle case. I’ve flown Qatar, Delta, Emirates, and British this way as well as internally on AirLink and FastJet. I’ve done it flying to Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe from the states along with internally from within RSA.

Please feel free to move if in wrong forum.
For my first Safari I am traveling to Johannesburg from Atlanta then on to Port Elizabeth. I have a Tuffpak and plan to have two rifles in soft cases inside the Tuffpak. Can I pack clothes in the case? I see different comments on some posts. Thank you in advance.

Reasons you don't want to do this:

1.) Arbitrary interpretations from the TSA and their foreign equivelants. If they don't like it, they toss your guns aside and don't put them on the plane.

2.) Stupidity. If the TSA can't understand what they are looking at on the x-ray, they hold it for inspection. What is a tennis shoe lace or a bore snake looks like detonator cord and a pound of cocaine to our brightest $15 an hour TSA workers. They can't inspect after you leave, so they will either bust the locks or refuse the guns as air shipment. If they bust the locks, then it will never travel because you don't have locks to put back on the case, even assuming they get you off the plane and let you know there's a problem. (which they probably won't do)

Last edited:
Reasons you don't want to do this:

1.) Arbitrary interpretations from the TSA and their foreign equivelants. If they don't like it, they toss your guns aside and don't put them on the plane.

2.) Stupidity. If the TSA can't understand what they are looking at on the x-ray, they hold it for inspection. What is a tennis shoe lace or a bore snake looks like detonator code and a pound of cocaine to our brightest $15 an hour TSA workers. They can't inspect after you leave, so they will either bust the locks or refuse the guns as air shipment. If they bust the locks, then it will never travel because you don't have locks to put back on the case, even assuming they get you off the plane and let you know there's a problem. (which they probably won't do)
I always have an extra set of locks under the foam. That's the only extra item in my guncase and even a dimwit can figure out what they are on x-ray and why they are in the case. Never yet had a problem with my guncase at security. @rookhaw's advice is spot on.

Correction: One other extra item is now always in my guncase: AirTag. You DEFINITELY want one of those taped to the case underneath the foam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BriannaBla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)