Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
1 dead, client 2 others injured. Kafue National park, Lugup lodge. Lodge

I think an elephant caught up with their vehicle?

Lufup lodge, a little more info to come. It appears they were photographic. They were hard pursued from parallel left.
PH stopped tourist vehicle and called for the elephant to stop he did not. It is all on video but i cannot forward. It was totally unavoidable. Yeah maybe he knew the Ele, but what a dumb F from what I saw
Please post any details when they are known L

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw the video as well. I hope he ran out of road and didn't decide to simply stop.

Here is the video of the incident. An elephant charged and turned over the tour vehicle. Not sure why the driver stopped. Tragic.

wow, so sad! While I know the elephant's posture can be a false charge, you never know for sure. why would a driver take the chance and stop the vehicle? Looks like the difference in having an experienced PH who would quickly recognize this versus a tour driver. Again so sad.

Very unfortunate incident.

Bloody sad to have people injured and killed when they are trusting someone with their life.

@Red Leg is being very generous.

Wow. That elephant followed for a very long time. Very sad.

The Driver/Tour Guide was baiting that Elephant. He was not escaping it. They stayed within a distance that kept the Elephant coming (watch the Elephant).
All the better to provide pictures of a charging Elephant!

For some even better pictures (good close ups), let's stop because we "know" the Elephant.

Better tips, I guess.

We are all there to be entertained and the Guides and PH's do their jobs to provide that for us. Being eye to eye with Elephants is something you do not forget. I've been on the receiving end of this type of encounter while in a Bakkie (without the ending). It is exciting. My PH' "knew the line" and I watched the Elephants react to us crossing that line. One foot too close and they started preparation to charge, we backed off and all was well. Thankfully.

My condolences to the people who were injured and the family and friends of the person who died.

For the Guide:

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 08.42.02.png

Agreed that it looked like the driver trying to just stay close enough to keep a charge incoming. He sped up and slowed down multiple times to keep the elephant in sight.

In watching the video, did the elephant slow down right before we went to flip it? Seems like the guide tried to stop him way too late as well.

I am not sure why he stopped but he was 100% egging that elephant on and not trying to escape it, I do hope he ran out of road but still a little confused as to why he stopped where, when and how he did.

Very sorry for the loss of life, that video is hard to watch.

Here is the video of the incident. An elephant charged and turned over the tour vehicle. Not sure why the driver stopped. Tragic.

I can’t believe how many laugh reactions there are on the FB video.

In watching the video, did the elephant slow down right before we went to flip it? Seems like the guide tried to stop him way too late as well.

I am not sure why he stopped but he was 100% egging that elephant on and not trying to escape it, I do hope he ran out of road but still a little confused as to why he stopped where, when and how he did.

Very sorry for the loss of life, that video is hard to watch.
Very tragic and completely avoidable. My condolences to the client that died needlessly, and prayers for the family, and for the injured to recover.

If he ran out of road, maybe a helluva "Starsky and Hutch" U-turn?

It does certainly seem like he was egging the elephant on.

Sad news.
RIP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shelli44Y

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.