City Lodge questions

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
We usually stay at Africa Sky when we get to Jburg. This trip we will be leaving early the next morning on a puddle jumper so thought it might be better to stay at the airport. Gilbert at Africa Sky is a great asset getting through saps, and we sent our gun paperwork to Africa Sky ahead of time so it all goes smoothly.

My question is does City Lodge have a similar service for hunters staying over to leave in the morning. Thanks for any help.

Not that I'm aware of. Not to do paperwork. However you should be able to get a Porter to help with your bags and he should be able to help you get checked in, bags checked and send you to the right spot to check your guns near where you go through security. Tip him properly.

If you are nervous about it, go with Africa Sky or Afton House.

No, City Lodge does not offer that service, just Africa Sky and Afton House. If you need someone to do your paperwork and walk you to City Lodge, contact Rifle Permits.

Or book your ticket thru Gracy Travel.

I always stay at one of the hotels , just easy, convenient and options to eat ect. The people from rifle permits ( Adel & Chris) will walk you to hotel and be there next morning taking you thru check-in. No hassle

I scheduled my stay at city lodge through gracy travel-their man Bruce is exceptional and the reason I continue to use them. He handles gun permits and guides you to the hotel. City lodge is not fancy, more like generic but is comfortable and close. I ate dinner and breakfast buffet there and enjoyed both but breakfast was quite good imo.

If time were not an issue I would like to experience the other hotel options as well but like you. I had to be on an early flight-

Citi Lodge when overnighting. Haven't stayed off airport since one of those off sites had criminals roaming it at night.

We stayed there in 22. Great place and good food. We used Henry Rifle Permits and they walked us right to the Hotel.

I stay at Witwater guest house. It is a much nicer experience than the airport hotels. There are a number of good people who can handle the permits and the transport to Witwater.

If it’s luxury, the Intercontinental at the airport is hard to beat. Much closer than City Lodge too.

I will be staying at City Lodge in June for an overnight prior to next flight to Mozambique. We are using Henry Durrheim's Riflepermits.com for pre-approved transit permits. We have also paid for the VIP service to get us through passport control and over to the hotel. Someone will be coming back the next day to get us on our way through the airport for next flight.

I guess a long winded way of recommending using Henry for the process.

I’ve used City Lodge and Africa Sky. City Lodge is fine but is not dissimilar to a hotel in any American city. Africa Sky is much nicer and a truly African experience. Their food is fantastic and service is outstanding.

If you do stay at City Lodge and want a truly fine dining experience, eat at Quills in the intercontinental.

They charged $160 for the pre-approved permit and assistance with collecting the rifle. Marius also walked us to City Lodge once that was done. They charge additional (optional) fees for VIP customs clearance and assistance with connecting or return flights. They requested the necessary paperwork be sent to them at least 30 days prior to arrival.

I have only ever used Gracy Travel on my 5 trips to Africa and have been very pleased with how smoothly their operation runs. Really like Bruce, he is great. Shawn is also a pleasure to work with. Never had any issues collecting my rifles or other hiccups. If overnighting I stay at the CitiLodge and that has always been just fine. Food in the restaurant is good and the rooms and clean and comfortable. Checks all the boxes for my typical 12-16 hours in Joburg before flying on to my final destination.

I scheduled my stay at city lodge through gracy travel-their man Bruce is exceptional and the reason I continue to use them. He handles gun permits and guides you to the hotel. City lodge is not fancy, more like generic but is comfortable and close. I ate dinner and breakfast buffet there and enjoyed both but breakfast was quite good imo.

If time were not an issue I would like to experience the other hotel options as well but like you. I had to be on an early flight-

Bruce is the man only way too go through airport and city lodge is very very nice and Gracy travel is awesome

I've stayed at the city lodge a number of times waiting to connect the following morning they personally don’t have a service like that but I book all my flights through PWP travel with Patrick Wright and he gets me taken care of and it is very simple an easy. City lodge is nice place to stay good rooms, good food, and makes it easy to walk back into the airport and get squared away.

Bruce is the man only way too go through airport and city lodge is very very nice and Gracy travel is awesome

I’ve used Bruce and Gilbert multiple times. I would rate them equally excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveI79146

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,