CCI #34 in large volume "magnum" cases?

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have read this a lot and I was curious if anyone here has actually used these #34 in large cases, in place of magnum primers? I have a large supply of them and I want to test them in my 470. They also appear to be way easier to obtain than the elusive fed 215. I shoot them I most all of my 308, 30/06 type loads and if they are an equal to the magnums then I am just gonna buy a bigger supply of these and stream line my reloading components by only having to worry about finding one kind of primer.
Mostly just curious if anyone has actually tried using these in the big cases.

Last edited:
Yes! It’s basically just a CCI 250 with a slightly thicker cup. Works well in .375. Can’t tell you much after that as I still have Fed 215s but I would say if you’d use a 250 in a load, then the 34 will be fine.

I'm gonna give them a go. I have some primed cases with fed 216's in them and I have ran them next to the same load with 215's over the chrono with no difference. I am going to load up some of my go to loads in my 470 with the 34's and shoot them against the 215 and 216 loads and see if there is any difference.

Yes! It’s basically just a CCI 250 with a slightly thicker cup. Works well in .375. Can’t tell you much after that as I still have Fed 215s but I would say if you’d use a 250 in a load, then the 34 will be fine.
Actually they are not... I contacted CCI about this very issue. Here's their reply. I redacted personal info.
Screenshots_2023-07-25-09-08-24~2.jpg

Actually they are not... I contacted CCI about this very issue. Here's their reply. I redacted personal info.View attachment 547623
Very interesting, thanks for the reply. I wonder at what charge weight that really starts to matter at. Probably would be bad in a large volume case that isn’t densely charged. I have had no issues in an H&H case, but that isn’t high volume and the “safety” is certainly anecdotal evidence

All I ever used in my .375 with full charges of slow powder were CCI200, standard large rifle. Worked perfectly

The #34 is aimed at the semi auto battle rifle crowd but I have always understood it to be as above, a 250 with slightly thicker cup. CCI's reply sort of surprises me.

In my convo with CCI: #34 primer was designed to prevent slam fires in semi-auto/full auto firearms. I asked if that meant they were used for 300Win Mag ball powder ammo. That was a NO. 308win ball powder was what they were designed for to ensure proper ignition in all conditions (Arctic to desert). He elaborated that the case volume of the 300Win Mag called for the CCI250 if you wanted consistent/proper ignition in all conditions. Likewise, similar case volumes and/or larger it was advised to use the CCI250. He had no concerns with anything in the 30-06 case head size using the #34 especially when using ball powder for better ignition. He did say, the #34 will ignite the 300Win Mag, but you may get large swings of velocity deviation and that would present problems at longer ranges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
decksforlife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)