Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, DU
Hunted
USA, South Africa Eastern Cape
I always appreciate the helpful information members offer here and my wife and I are spending 4 days in Cape Town before hunting the Eastern Cape. Are there any recommendations on places to stay and the must do’s? I hear there are good wineries and tastings so that’s on the list. Besides that we need to fill the itinerary! Will be there late April, early May.

Any help appreciated.

We stayed in the waterfront area for 3-4 days. Neither my wife or I are wine drinkers, so that sort of tour didn't interest us. There are several excellent tour companies in the area. You can do a group tour on a bus with 40-50 other people or can opt for a private tour where a driver/tour guide drives you around. That's what we did and it made for a perfect day.

I would consider staying at the Boschendal Vineyard. It is absolutely stunning with great wines and restaurants. The Coopmanhaus in Stellenbosch is a nice place to stay as well. Be sure to have lunch at the Postcard cafe at Stark-Conde.

Thank you both! Tough call on staying in the waterfront area vs out a ways like Boschendal Vineyard which looks amazing! Perhaps our only time to hit Cape Town and it seems easier to see the sites and do tours right in town.

Another question, we were planning to fly to Port E but see some have driven it in your thread on this @375 Ruger Fan, any thoughts on renting a car and driving around? I hear crime is quite bad in certain areas (to be avoided for sure, as in most big cities) and was going to rely on tours and local divers that know where to avoid. But driving to Port E and avoiding 2 extra airport gun checks might be attractive, especially if the drive is nice and scenic.

Vineyards in the Constancia suburb in Cape Town to visit are Klein Constancia and Constancia Uitzig where you will find amazing restaurants as well. Kirsten Bosch botanical gardens are amazing and some evenings there are music "concerts" so check their website. Another fine vineyard with great a restaurant close to Cape Town is De Grendel.From Stellenbosch travel to Franschoek through the Helshoogte pass and stop of at wineries along the route - make sure to stop at Thelema. Franschoek has many fine restaurants and wine estates itself. If you have time on your hands take a 2 day trip to Roberston ( +- 2 hours drive) and visit Bon Courage, Fraaiuitzicht and many more. Boschendal where you are going has excellent wines.

Definitely take a trip up Table Mountain, easy to do from Cape Town proper.

The wine regions were a fun experience for us and they're actually pretty family friend too for those with kids. But they are a bit of a drive from Cape Town. My first trip I stayed just in Cape Town for 4 days and didn't run short of things to do, including a generic tour to Cape of Good Hope. Was supposed to be a group tour bus carry up to 12 people but only one other signed up so we had plenty of space and easy to agree if we wanted to skip certain places to spend more time in others.

Oh, if you like steaks, have dinner at Carne (https://carne-sa.com/) . Be sure to check in advance if they have their dry aged steaks available, they do them themselves and the meal is amazing. You'll be shocked with how relatively inexpensive a fine steak dinner with appetizer, sides, and wine will be compared to what to expect in the US.

Thank you both! Tough call on staying in the waterfront area vs out a ways like Boschendal Vineyard which looks amazing! Perhaps our only time to hit Cape Town and it seems easier to see the sites and do tours right in town.

Another question, we were planning to fly to Port E but see some have driven it in your thread on this @375 Ruger Fan, any thoughts on renting a car and driving around? I hear crime is quite bad in certain areas (to be avoided for sure, as in most big cities) and was going to rely on tours and local divers that know where to avoid. But driving to Port E and avoiding 2 extra airport gun checks might be attractive, especially if the drive is nice and scenic.
Most of the attractions in CT are close to V&A waterfront. Vineyards are great but noting your comment on time mentioned I would do the following (CT 3 days, Vineyars 1/2 days, South Coast 1/2 days, PE rest):

Get uber/taxi to V&A stay for 3 days. From there it is close to Table Mountain cable car, there is a CT red bus you could do, beaches, Cape Point and Hout bay; V&A is nice for restaurants and the aquarium and vibe, Robben Island Tours (book well in advance).

If you want to drive to PE, it is safe, avoid driving at night (monsters won't come out after dark, it is just better to avoid ). The road from CT through George Knysna, Plet toward PE etc. is truly beautiful! You could 2 weeks on this stretch. So much to see and do. Most Saffers go on vacation in this area. It is almost 800 km of very good highway. You could do one day, but that is just driving. Would recommend staying anywhere from Wilderness/Knysna/Plettenburg/Keurbooms as halfway stop.

You could prior to your PE drive then incorporate a Stellenbosch/Paarl/Franshoek day, lots of vineyards have been mentioned. It is sort of in same direction, just a little bit inland.

We stay at the Victoria and Alfred Hotel when we go to Cape Town for a break....right in the middle of everything, and we find it very good , and staff great...if you stay there go for the mountain view rooms, as they also look across the harbour towards table Mountain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailca1r

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)