Bullet choices for .404 Jeffery

A question occurred to me about proper bullet selection for my .404J. I am loading 400 grain bullets primarily for use on Cape Buffalo. Looking at muzzle velocities of about 2250 to 2350 fps. My two choices for bullets are Woodleigh Weldcore 400 grain SN RN and Swift A Frame 400 grain bullets.

Studying recommended impact velocities and looking at the range of impact velocities at the MVs that I am loading for, it looks to me that the Swift A Frames will be well below optimal impact velocity at about 2000 to 2100 fps at 100 yards and they may not expend optimally. With the Woodleigh 400 grain Weldcores this owuld be the 'sweet spot' and I am led to expect their performance would, at these speeds, be superior to the Swift A Frames.

For those with experience with the caliber and bullets above, I'd like to know your opinions on performance in this application.

Thanks
Get some North Fork 430 grain PPs or SSs and run them at around 2150 FPS. can’t go wrong.

For reference, here is a 450 Woodleigh SN pulled from my Buff last week. 60 yards, estimated impact at 2076 FPS, 421 grains retained.

IMG_2603.JPG

This was a factory Norma round.

I'm using ammunition from RWS with bullet Vmantel ( full jacket bullet ) and Tmantel ( softpoint round nose bullet). Very good ammunition.

We would suggest our products. We have bullets for all kind of animals for your caliber.

We would suggest our products. We have bullets for all kind of animals for your caliber.
Additionally, you guys actually have some .423 bullets in stock. Swift doesn't, and hasn't for a while.

Per my understanding, the semi spitzer soft point as opposed to the percussion point would be recommended for Buffalo?

Per my understanding, the semi spitzer soft point as opposed to the percussion point would be recommended for Buffalo?
Yes SS for first shot at buffalo. Then we suggest our CPS for follow up. Dr Kevin Robertson explained this very well in our podcast. Many times you shot and then the buffalo start run away from you. So you need a bullet that penetrate throw stomic, our CPS if you shot them over the tail you'll find the bullet in the throat.
Our PP is for soft skin game, as cat but also moose, elk, bear and so on.

Additionally, you guys actually have some .423 bullets in stock. Swift doesn't, and hasn't for a while.
Yes Sir we do. And we plan for next delivery to the U.S.A. right now. For the .404 Jeffrey, Reloading International have some in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both work as designed so no need to overthink the result.. I field tested the Woodleigh 40 caliber for Geoff, and the cup point for Mike the original owner of North Fork, and over the years shot a lot of game with Swifts and they all past muster. The days of bullet failure are all but over, we complained and the bullet makers listened..

These days, availability factors high in the choice process.

The more common calibers are a higher priority than the dangerous game calibers for some of the big manufacturers. And fair enough. If I were selling all the 5.56 I could make, I doubt I’d want to change over the line to make a handful of .423. Kudos to those who have done so.

Fortunately, the very best bullets for dangerous game are to be had from the small manufacturers who have made us a priority over the AR crowd (and couldn’t compete against the huge companies in that market anyway) so it works out.

Another bullet you guys might consider is Hammer Bullets Shock Hammer 400 gr.

I've corresponded with Steve Davis from Hammer pretty extensively on LD for this bullet. When the time comes for serious LD for my 404, I'll be shooting Hammers vs North Forks.

My results:

Buff number one - high shoulder shot broadside at about 55 yards. Somewht deformed after passing through both shoulders, but 90%intact. SAF 400 gr. @ 2250 MV.

Buff 1 SAF.jpg

Buff number two - High shoulder shot @70 yards, same load - dead within 5 yards. 95% weight rettention.

SAF from Buff2.JPG

Buff2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrincessMo

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!