Binos and spotting scope for Namibia

375Ruger416

Silver supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
As I’ve mentioned previously, I’m heading to Namibia for my first plains game hunt in September. Happily, my wife has decided to join me!

I have a set of Leica Geovid Pro 8 x 32 range finding binoculars that I use for everything and I’m looking for a compact pair for my wife. She is not a hunter, but is enthusiastic about seeing all the game in Africa. I am looking at the Zeiss Terra ED and Zeiss Terra ED compact in 8 or 10 magnification. Since these will become my backup binoculars would you recommend the 25 mm or 32 mm objective? Does anyone have firsthand experience with these binoculars? There is a significant weight savings and a slight cost savings between the two. 8 or 10 x magnification?

As well, I have pretty much decided to buy a Swarovski ATC 17 to 40 spotting scope and a digicam adapter for my phone. Is it worth bringing to Africa for game viewing and taking pictures and video? I love viewing and videotaping wildlife, but I will be hunting for most of the time and have bought into the idea from members on this site that a spotting scope is unnecessary and to pack lightly. What are people’s thoughts on bringing it to Africa? Useful addition or unnecessary bulk and weight?

As well, I have pretty much decided to buy a Swarovski ATC 17 to 40 spotting scope and a digicam adapter for my phone. Is it worth bringing to Africa for game viewing and taking pictures and video? I love viewing and videotaping wildlife, but I will be hunting for most of the time and have bought into the idea from members on this site that a spotting scope is unnecessary and to pack lightly. What are people’s thoughts on bringing it to Africa? Useful addition or unnecessary bulk and weight?
Absolutely!
I did not bring spotting scope, but I took camera and tripod.
I was mostly hunting, but later took trip to Etosha national park.
Your wife will have great opportunities for observing and photography, so prepare the best possible equipment for this.

You can check the wildlife photos on the second part of my report.
During the hunt I was focused on hunting, only later I focused more on photography.
But in your case, your wife will have great opportunities during entire duration of the trip.

IMHO Spotting scope in Africa is not necessary and added weight.

Is your wife going to accompany you during the hunting portion of the trip? If so, it might make sense to give her the rangefinding binoculars and use the compact ones yourself. Let her call out the range to your animal(s) and more fully participate in the hunt.

As regards the spotting scope, it might be useful for post-hunting photography if you are hard-core into that sort of thing. I doubt that you will have time to use it during the hunt itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZelmaWolfg

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone