Bamboo fishing rods questions

Ravensview

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
SCI,DSC, DU
Hello,
I have a couple of older bamboo rods and a long handled bamboo net, I am trying to figure out a value on them, any suggestions on where to get info would be much appreciated

Will depend on maker. There is a wide span on value from hanging on a bar wall to vintage English makers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate the link

Lots of Japanese rods out there as well, not pricey at all.

I’m trying to figure out their value to sell them, and who manufactured them, one was my grampas from the 30’s, one was from the 50’s and the other one has been on my camps wall forever, have a long handled bamboo net as well, have to figure out who manufactured them and don’t know what to look for.

Well they are ALL really neat, make Great Wall hangers, but would you believe they also WORK. Have been given one on the condition that I would actually use it. They have great line lift for the next cast.

have used my grampas one in the past, currently have a couple of modern made ones that I use, but the bamboo ones are ready to retire

Whether or not your Grandfather had money might give you a clue as to whether you have something of value. There were certainly great bamboo rod makers in the US as well as England during his lifetime, but Sears, Western Auto and about every other company that had a sporting goods section also sold bamboo rods. I've got a couple of these from my grandfather including an automatic fly reel, and one has a bamboo bait casting sections that can be used instead of the fly sections. No high value, just as a wall hanging antique. Or more importantly as a family heirloom.

Any named rod maker would have his name, in some form of permanency (like in ink under the varnish), on the bamboo itself done near the cork handle. Sears, Western Auto etc would likely have a sticker or decal that may or may not have survived the ages.

If you can please post a couple of pictures here, would love to see them.

Will do, I am on the road for work right now, but will get some pictures up, pretty sure his were not high dollar, but the one from my camp may be,(never had that one off of the wall)

Perhaps check with some fly shops, including Orvis, and maybe even some of the current bamboo rod makers, like Oyster Fly Rods. I’m sure someone out there can help determine the provenance and value.

I fish cane (bamboo) rods and have few. The value may be zero to thousands of dollars. The sale value depends upon several factors - maker, model, condition, original bag and tube, on some other collector esoterica. If these things cannot be determined you should hang them on the wall or, better yet, take them fishing.
I sold one of my cane fly rods a dozen years ago and it brought $3500. Others can go higher, but there are very few that are worth even a fraction of that.
They nice old fishing tools, though!

I fish cane (bamboo) rods and have few. The value may be zero to thousands of dollars. The sale value depends upon several factors - maker, model, condition, original bag and tube, on some other collector esoterica. If these things cannot be determined you should hang them on the wall or, better yet, take them fishing.
I sold one of my cane fly rods a dozen years ago and it brought $3500. Others can go higher, but there are very few that are worth even a fraction of that.
They nice old fishing tools, though!
Ye, I am in the process of simplifying and downsizing though, just don’t have the room, sold my camp and am going to what’s needed and used, I have a couple of other fly rods allready. When the journey ends for me, I don’t want to leave a bunch of stuff that the kids will have to deal with, I went through that when my parents passed and it was overwhelming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IgnacioPen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone