Average Shot Range in East Cape SA

swashington

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hey all, getting ready for next year and have a new 300wm. I am looking for some input on what your average shooting range on game in the East Cape area. I am considering shortening the 24 inch barrel to 18 or 19". I should lose about 150 fps but I usually don't shoot beyond 200yds. At that range I won't lose enough performance to make a difference on ballistics or energy on target.
I want to run suppressed but after putting my suppressor on the gun it looks like an old revolutionary war flintlock. 32" of barrel is just too long to be handy. I run a Ruger Scout Rifle 308 and I love that thing. Been my best friend elk and Blacktail hunting in the Pacnorwest on many a day. I am looking for handiness of the scout rifle with the additional energy of a 300wm.

Understand this might start a good debate. Nope, not crazy. Just know what I like to carry and the feel of how it points. Let me have those opinions!

Thanks in advance

Hey all, getting ready for next year and have a new 300wm. I am looking for some input on what your average shooting range on game in the East Cape area. I am considering shortening the 24 inch barrel to 18 or 19". I should lose about 150 fps but I usually don't shoot beyond 200yds. At that range I won't lose enough performance to make a difference on ballistics or energy on target.
I want to run suppressed but after putting my suppressor on the gun it looks like an old revolutionary war flintlock. 32" of barrel is just too long to be handy. I run a Ruger Scout Rifle 308 and I love that thing. Been my best friend elk and Blacktail hunting in the Pacnorwest on many a day. I am looking for handiness of the scout rifle with the additional energy of a 300wm.

Understand this might start a good debate. Nope, not crazy. Just know what I like to carry and the feel of how it points. Let me have those opinions!

Thanks in advance
I would not change the magnum. You'll likely never have to carry it far. I made a couple of very long shots during my second safari with my PH's suppressed 270 WSM. Mind you, he was carrying it backup (also to shoot varmints bothering the sheep) and swapped me my Springfield 30-06. You already have one medium range "handy" brush buster. Leave yourself with one nice long range rifle without the can.
20210823_163537.jpg
20210824_102410.jpg

Shots for me were 2 @ 492 and 502 yds. That was culling. Closest was about 25 yds. The rest was between 100 and 300 yds. Average just over 200.

East Cape comprises everything from rugged little mountain canyons, Addo thorn flats to wide open Karoo plains. So there is no single distance to satisfy your question. Expect shots from 50-300 yards but your ph will always get you as close as possible.
My brother and I also used 300 wm for a couple dozen animals and I think it is a wonderful plains game caliber. In South Africa the suppressor is a common fixture, so yours will fit right in. I did not have one and didn’t miss it.
The variety of game animals is mind boggling! Steenbok to eland and giraffe and buffalo on many properties and everything in between!
Practice, practice, practice shooting off sticks and you will be fine. It is a wonderful part of the world.

Thanks for the input, tough thinking about carrying that long rifle around all day. When I get my 375 I am going with a Ruger 375 with a 20" barrel. Can't see carrying a 24 to 26 inch barreled rifle when most all of the shots will be 50 to 100 yards or even less. But you are correct, having one that I can use to reach out and touch something at longer range would be nice to have.

without knowing who you will be hunting with I will go out on a limb and say you will not pack any rifle all day. After successful or blown stalks the truck will come get you and the game will start all over. The .375’s are excellent for African hunting, mine is a bit short, I wish it had a couple more inches. . .
IMG_6114.jpeg

My two furthest shots on my first Eastern Cape hunt were 479 yards on my kudu and 429 yards on my springbok. Then I tapered down to 40 yards for my impala. With a few in-between.

You just need to be ready for anything if you want that animal. On the kudu if we would of gotten closer the shot would of been 10 yards, but he would have been long gone.

Thanks for the input, tough thinking about carrying that long rifle around all day. When I get my 375 I am going with a Ruger 375 with a 20" barrel. Can't see carrying a 24 to 26 inch barreled rifle when most all of the shots will be 50 to 100 yards or even less. But you are correct, having one that I can use to reach out and touch something at longer range would be nice to have.
My first safari I brought over a 416 Rigby magnum action CZ 550 the lodge owner ordered cut down to 20" for "portability." I think he shot it a half dozen times and got rid of it. No surprise to me. When I picked it up, the gunsmith showed me a video of his not very small son-in-law shooting the 416 at a target. Good gawd! Looked like a tsunami running down his backside from base of his neck to the cheeks of his butt. S-I-L declined to shoot it a second time. When I was back at the lodge last August, the owner asked to shoot the 404 Jeffery I'd just finished building on a standard action 98 Mauser. He really liked that gun. The big difference was the 404's 24" heavy profile barrel.
20231019_114147.jpg

I don't think I will get to the point where I am comfortable shooting past 300yds. All my hunting in the past was in thick timber with rifle and all the rest was archery. Not many ranges where I can practice out past 300 around me. I always thought the fun was in the stalk, but I admit I have lost a lot of opportunities trying to get closer.

I would plan on being proficient out to 300-400 yards, I took some long pokes out to 260 with my 375, I will be going with a 200 yard zero next time. I wouldn’t cut the rifle to run the can, it’s not going to matter if it looks like a flag pole.

My first safari I brought over a 416 Rigby magnum action CZ 550 the lodge owner ordered cut down to 20" for "portability." I think he shot it a half dozen times and got rid of it. No surprise to me. When I picked it up, the gunsmith showed me a video of his not very small son-in-law shooting the 416 at a target. Good gawd! Looked like a tsunami running down his backside from base of his neck to the cheeks of his butt. S-I-L declined to shoot it a second time. When I was back at the lodge last August, the owner asked to shoot the 404 Jeffery I'd just finished building on a standard action 98 Mauser. He really liked that gun. The big difference was the 404's 24" heavy profile barrel.
View attachment 599621
That is a beauty, unfortunately, as a lefty beggars can't be choosers. Getting a custom gun is out of my price range, would rather put the money in an outfitters hands than a gun maker. Gun makers don't provide many memories.

To your point about recoil. I have shot the Ruger Guide gun in a 20" 375 and it wasnt too bad. Being a big guy, I can handle some recoil. It will take a lot of practice to be able to get 2 or shots off quickly if needed.
Plus as stated above, as a lefty Ruger is the best choice and I love that 3 position safety. I have a Tikka T3 in a 270WSM and don't trust it. Too many times unslinging from my shoulder and finding the safety off. It just moves to easily. That one sits in the safe while I do the hunting with my tried and true Rugers.

I would plan on being proficient out to 300-400 yards, I took some long pokes out to 260 with my 375, I will be going with a 200 yard zero next time. I wouldn’t cut the rifle to run the can, it’s not going to matter if it looks like a flag pole.
Not worried about the looks, although, flagpole is fairly accurate. Avoiding brush, limbs, and keeping pointed in a safe direction is so much easier with a shorter barrel. I think I will stick with what Ontario Hunter said up top. No suppressor.

without knowing who you will be hunting with I will go out on a limb and say you will not pack any rifle all day. After successful or blown stalks the truck will come get you and the game will start all over. The .375’s are excellent for African hunting, mine is a bit short, I wish it had a couple more inches. . .View attachment 599617
Damn, nice warthog. I would love 3 or 4 of him. With some good wood those tusks can make some very decorative hat and coat racks. Have you ever eaten the meat? Wondering how good a table fair they are.

I don't think I will get to the point where I am comfortable shooting past 300yds. All my hunting in the past was in thick timber with rifle and all the rest was archery. Not many ranges where I can practice out past 300 around me. I always thought the fun was in the stalk, but I admit I have lost a lot of opportunities trying to get closer.
I'm like you. Stalked deer, elk, and moose usually in snow and big timber. I also prefer getting up close and personal. However, some species and East Cape terrain simply don't give much opportunity for <200 yard shots. I guarantee you'll see most of your kudu much further away. Best opportunities are spotting them on opposing ridges after the sun comes up as they look to warm up. Black wildebeest and springbuck are wide open plains animals. Hard to get close.

I'm like you. Stalked deer, elk, and moose usually in snow and big timber. I also prefer getting up close and personal. However, some species and East Cape terrain simply don't give much opportunity for <200 yard shots. I guarantee you'll see most of your kudu much further away. Best opportunities are spotting them on opposing ridges after the sun comes up as they look to warm up. Black wildebeest and springbuck are wide open plains animals. Hard to get close.
That is great info, my soon to be wife has her heart set on a Kudu. She currently has not shot a gun in her life. She had a medical procedure done today that will hopefully get her should fixed and we will be able to start training soon. Can't wait to teach her. Taught handgun before but not rifle. It may be intimidating for her to start her hunting career out past 200 yards. I have my work cut out for me.

I’m a little surprised to learn how many shots members here take beyond 300 yards, presumably with the help of a laser range finder (4xx yards measured to the yard). I’ve never hunted in Africa with a laser range finder, or with a PH that used one. Goes to show its one big continent with many, many different experiences and challenges.

I’m a little surprised to learn how many shots members here take beyond 300 yards, presumably with the help of a laser range finder (4xx yards measured to the yard). I’ve never hunted in Africa with a laser range finder, or with a PH that used one. Goes to show its one big continent with many, many different experiences and challenges.
Looks like I will be taking my own. As an archery guy I would never think of going in the field without one.

Some PH's will have a Lazer rangefinder and some won't, my last PH didn't even have a rangefinder.

If you take your own and your PH has one then you can leave yours in your room.

Just so that you know, your PH will be right with you at all times. To the point some on here wonder if binoculars are even needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamgee

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.