Ammunition Question

hntr58

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA Life Member, Life Member SCI International , LVCSCI
Hunted
U.S.A. Alaska Canada Zimbabwe Namibia South Africa Argentina,Ireland,Spain
I know this has been covered many times in other threads but I’m still a bit confused on this issue. I’m traveling to South Africa to hunt and then on to Namibia. As far as bringing ammo with me does it have to be in a factory type box marked for the caliber rifle it’s being used in? I usually shoot reloads and always just brought them in a plastic cartridge box. I never have any problems but it’s been years since I’ve been to Africa. Not sure what has changed. Thanks!

I also shoot reloads and just use a 20 round plastic ammo box. But others have used larger ones.

For South Africa my ammo has never been checked, and it's only been weighed once on check in.

Plastic boxes are fine. If you want to make them look a little more official, get some fancy Avery labels and print some with a name like "Dave's Custom Ammo Company."

I suggest Not putting your reloading details on box.

I printed a label with Caliber, Bullet Type and weight, and rounded off Velocity (only). Also used once fired (newish looking) brass. Even at that, I used factory ammo boxes as I'm a bit paranoid.

If you have factory ammo box available, I would pack them that way. You will have to declare the ammo on police form. If they do happen to inspect ammo at Joberg airport (haven't yet inspected mine) it would be expedient if it was in factory box. If in plastic container they would probably open it up, then make sure all ammo matches the declaration form. If you're using reformed cases from another caliber, that could be a problem. What's on the ammo doesn't match what's on the form or what's on the rifle. So better if they don't instantly have a reason to look further than the box label.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiamhBlomf

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!