AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England, South Africa
Hello All,

I bought a couple boxes of these vintage bullets in an ammo lot at auction. They are still sealed, and look like new still. 293 gr., solid points.
Has anyone ever seen or perhaps used these before? Any idea on age?

20220610_142755.jpg

Do we have anything today that compares to theses originals?
What do you hand rollers use for solids in the 9.3x62 today?
Thanks in advance, I'm hoping to learn a little bit more about these.

Very interesting find. There should be a lot number and date stamp somewhere on the box. I load Barnes 286 solid round noses with same load for my soft points which point of aim/point of impact are within 1/4 inch of each other.

DWM stopped manufacturing ammunition in 1972.

As for the 293gr FMJ bullets, I still used this in the nineties with 9,3x74R ammunition from DWM to hunt buffalos in Malaysia. Did the job well with enough deep penetration and without deforming.

Here a DWM 293gr FMJ bullet from a buffalo and the case headstamp for it.

28.jpg

29.jpg

Very interesting find. There should be a lot number and date stamp somewhere on the box. I load Barnes 286 solid round noses with same load for my soft points which point of aim/point of impact are within 1/4 inch of each other.
Thanks John,
Here is a photo of a code on the bottom of the boxes.
20220611_081341.jpg

DWM stopped manufacturing ammunition in 1972.

As for the 293gr FMJ bullets, I still used this in the nineties with 9,3x74R ammunition from DWM to hunt buffalos in Malaysia. Did the job well with enough deep penetration and without deforming.

Here a DWM 293gr FMJ bullet from a buffalo and the case headstamp for it.

View attachment 470656
View attachment 470657
Thank you grand veneur,
It's really nice to talk with someone who has had some experience with these! Malaysia in the 90's! You must have some stories to tell!
Included with the solids was a box of soft points as well. I think I have seen a modern version of something similar from another company.
Thanks again!
20220611_081352.jpg

Looking at another forum in regards to DWM they reference 9mm Luger with 417 as the month (4) and year (1917) as the manufacture date and the second series of numbers as the lot number. So going by that small bit of information your 265 would be February (2) year (1965) lot# 256. Totally accurate, not sure but could be.

Hello All,

I bought a couple boxes of these vintage bullets in an ammo lot at auction. They are still sealed, and look like new still. 293 gr., solid points.
Has anyone ever seen or perhaps used these before? Any idea on age?

View attachment 470594
Do we have anything today that compares to theses originals?
What do you hand rollers use for solids in the 9.3x62 today?
Thanks in advance, I'm hoping to learn a little bit more about these.
Interesting find to be sure. Personally I use Nosler mono metal FN 286grn solids. Shoots to same point of aim as my expanding bullet load with same weight bullet. Tried finding some Woodleigh Hydro solids but with their recent fire have not been able to acquire some.

Looking at another forum in regards to DWM they reference 9mm Luger with 417 as the month (4) and year (1917) as the manufacture date and the second series of numbers as the lot number. So going by that small bit of information your 265 would be February (2) year (1965) lot# 256. Totally accurate, not sure but could be.
Thanks for that, makes sense to me.

Interesting find to be sure. Personally I use Nosler mono metal FN 286grn solids. Shoots to same point of aim as my expanding bullet load with same weight bullet. Tried finding some Woodleigh Hydro solids but with their recent fire have not been able to acquire some.
I have yet to start reloading my own, but plan on doing so. A lot to learn, but lots of really helpful members on this site to guide me on my education.
Yes, I think I would like to try out some modern solids in the 9.2, so will look into those Noslers, thanks.

The only factory loaded solid currently being manufactured for the 9.3x62mm Mauser, is the Norma 275Gr Monolithic Solid.

As handloading components, you can get solid bullets from Nosler and Barnes and Rhino. But these are all of the monolithic variety. To the best of my knowledge, Woodleigh used to be the last company which would offer steel jacketed FMJ solids in the 9.3mm caliber. But after the tragic factory fire, they (along with all other Woodleigh bullets) are no longer in production.

Back in 1982, I hunted a water buffalo in Australia with my guide’s 9.3x62mm (an early model control round feed Belgian F.N Mauser) and he had provided me with a box of RWS 286Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids. They performed and penetrated incredibly well. I had a complete pass through when I made an end to end frontal shot on a water buffalo. Another bullet we found lodged in the hide of the water buffalo’s right shoulder, having cleanly broken through the animal’s left shoulder bone and punched through the heart. Barring the rifling marks, one couldn’t tell if the 286Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solid had been previously fired. Too bad RWS never made their 10.75x68mm solids with such thick steel jackets.

Dont forget the Hornady 300gr DGS.
I dont know how many Elephant are shot with a 9.3 and I dont particulary believe a solid is needed for Buffalo, so I cant picture a market for these?
I learn something new, everyday. Thanks, @shark_za . I didn’t even know that Hornady offered these.

You can still hunt elephant with calibers smaller than .375 Holland & Holland Magnum in Mozambique. Maybe Zambia too (but not sure). And yes. Having personally hunted Cape buffaloes with solids in the past, I can definitely tell you that a premium grade soft point is the far better option (I like the Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw above all others).

The only factory loaded solid currently being manufactured for the 9.3x62mm Mauser, is the Norma 275Gr Monolithic Solid.

As handloading components, you can get solid bullets from Nosler and Barnes and Rhino. But these are all of the monolithic variety. To the best of my knowledge, Woodleigh used to be the last company which would offer steel jacketed FMJ solids in the 9.3mm caliber. But after the tragic factory fire, they (along with all other Woodleigh bullets) are no longer in production.

Back in 1982, I hunted a water buffalo in Australia with my guide’s 9.3x62mm (an early model control round feed Belgian F.N Mauser) and he had provided me with a box of RWS 286Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids. They performed and penetrated incredibly well. I had a complete pass through when I made an end to end frontal shot on a water buffalo. Another bullet we found lodged in the hide of the water buffalo’s right shoulder, having cleanly broken through the animal’s left shoulder bone and punched through the heart. Barring the rifling marks, one couldn’t tell if the 286Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solid had been previously fired. Too bad RWS never made their 10.75x68mm solids with such thick steel jackets.

I don’t think that is correct. I have a couple boxes of Swift ammo loaded with their solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)