500 NE 3" load data

Just a dude in BC

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Good day All,

I am having a Ruger No.1 falling block, converted to a 500 NE, and I am running into a lot of conflicting issues looking for loads.
Namely:
1. There are not a lot of resources out there for this grand old caliber.
2. Some of the data I can find, is using powders I cannot find.
3. Some of what there is, is no where near the standard load: 570gr at 2150fps. Much of it is closer to 2000 fps.
4. When I enter some posted loads into quick load, they are massively over pressure.

The Bullets I am using are the 570 swift a frames as my softs, and 600gr North Fork Cup point solids.
It is a single shot (with a 26" barrel) so regulation is not an issue.
It is a falling block, so the action is plenty strong.

So I guess what I am looking for is:
1. What resources do you use for load data.
2. Do you have pet loads that work for you, that are around 2150 fps.

My goal from this thread is to learn what has worked, and to have it guide my quest for more reloading components. Thanks all.

I don't have data for 600 grains. Since most .500 Nitro reloaders are for a double rifles, for us it is more about regulation than maximizing velocity. I have had good luck with 103 to 106 grains of H4350. I would work your way up until you achieve desired velocity without over pressure.

I don't have data for 600 grains. Since most .500 Nitro reloaders are for a double rifles, for us it is more about regulation than maximizing velocity. I have had good luck with 103 to 106 grains of H4350. I would work your way up until you achieve desired velocity without over pressure.
That is one of my issues though. I am not really chasing velocity, so much as the traditional 2150 that they used to get with cordite.
But even when I use quickload with your lower recommendation of 103grs, it shows this load to be over pressure:
1713207661305.png

Quickload is designed for bottle neck cases and isn't as accurate with straight wall cases.
The author confirms this.....suspect part of your problem.
Hogdons website is showing 42k pressure with a max 106.3 gr. load. Suspect Quickload is your issue. Try Hogdons online load data.

Interesting, I did not know that quickload had issues with straight walled cases. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry for the photo quality but this is from the Any Shot You Want manual from A-Square

IMG_0986.jpeg

The best resource for nitro express loads is “Shooting the British Double Rifle” by Graeme Wright . A fantastic resource .

Spoke to the author today . A new edition is in production . A great book but not for $600.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carlo74371

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.