450/400 Nitro 3-inch Sabatti Double Rifle Plus Dies, Bullets For Sale

cajunchefray

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
An entry level, proper double rifle, Sabatti, with UNGROUND muzzles for sale. This rifle is 10 years old, purchased new from Cabelas in 2013. I had it examined by a local competent gunsmith and gunmaker. Triggers tuned to 5 pounds, and 6.5 pounds. LOP 15.25 front trigger/ 14.5 back trigger. Weighs 10.25 pounds, balances in front of the hinge pin, two, .400 grain bullets added into the stock for balance. Pachmayer 1 inch recoil pad.
Approximately 300 rounds fired. Locks up tight.

This rifle has been used, but not abused. Taken on a few hog and deer hunts, and range time.
It is not perfect, but a using rifle. Some marks, chips and scratches in the stock and forearm, metalwork.

Regulation load is 65 grains Norma 203B (or Reloader 15), with foam wads and Woodleigh 400 grain SN, based on "Shooting the British Double Rifle" 3rd Edition.

Details will be provided to the buyer.
IMG_1247.JPG
IMG_1250.JPG
IMG_1264.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG

Red dot sight, Trijicon RMR Type 2, (RMR-09), 1 MOA dot, on Trijicon base, professionally installed. See attached pictures for groups.

Included are used, good shape Hornady dies, shell holder:

(42) Woodleigh. 410, 400 grain SN
(88) Hornady DGX 400 grain softs, bonded
(90) Nosler 210 grain Partitions (pistol bullets)
(46) Hornady .411 (300 grain) SP Interlocks ((75% rule)
- Brass bead front sight

$4600 shipped and insured.
I paid $4300 for the rifle, $550 for the Trijicon RMR, and +/- $300 for dies and ammo.
Rifle comes in original case, factory target, papers, sight rail, shipped and fully insured to the lower 48. Alaska and Hawaii, current shipping rates apply.

PM if you want more pictures, Facetime Video, call, or more references.

Charles

An entry level, proper double rifle, Sabatti, with UNGROUND muzzles for sale. This rifle is 10 years old, purchased new from Cabelas in 2013. I had it examined by a local competent gunsmith and gunmaker. Triggers tuned to 5 pounds, and 6.5 pounds. LOP 15.25 front trigger/ 14.5 back trigger. Weighs 10.25 pounds, balances in front of the hinge pin, two, .400 grain bullets added into the stock for balance. Pachmayer 1 inch recoil pad.
Approximately 300 rounds fired. Locks up tight.

This rifle has been used, but not abused. Taken on a few hog and deer hunts, and range time.
It is not perfect, but a using rifle. Some marks, chips and scratches in the stock and forearm, metalwork.

Regulation load is 65 grains Norma 203B (or Reloader 15), with foam wads and Woodleigh 400 grain SN, based on "Shooting the British Double Rifle" 3rd Edition.

Details will be provided to the buyer.
View attachment 571293View attachment 571294View attachment 571296View attachment 571297View attachment 571298
Red dot sight, Trijicon RMR Type 2, (RMR-09), 1 MOA dot, on Trijicon base, professionally installed. See attached pictures for groups.

Included are used, good shape Hornady dies, shell holder:

(42) Woodleigh. 410, 400 grain SN
(88) Hornady DGX 400 grain softs, bonded
(90) Nosler 210 grain Partitions (pistol bullets)
(46) Hornady .411 (300 grain) SP Interlocks ((75% rule)
- Brass bead front sight

$4600 shipped and insured.
I paid $4300 for the rifle, $550 for the Trijicon RMR, and +/- $300 for dies and ammo.
Rifle comes in original case, factory target, papers, sight rail, shipped and fully insured to the lower 48. Alaska and Hawaii, current shipping rates apply.

PM if you want more pictures, Facetime Video, call, or more references.

Charles
having owned one of these this is an incredible value to someone who wants to enter the DR world as a first one

That is a great buy for someone getting into double rifles. All you need to get going!

I wish I could buy it as a client rifle, alas embargos.

I would have Ken Owens check it first. He is the Sabatti Guru.

Given a choice I would rather see a .410 bullet hole than a .375 in the proper kill triangle.

Lon

Great bargain on a proven Sabatti. Someone needs to snap this one up.

If you have been thinking about dabbling in the double world, then this is one heck of a place to start. Remember, doubles are not just for Africa! That is a solid 150 yard deer rifle, elk in the timber, bears!
If I get some stuff sold in the near future you will be hearing from me for sure. I would love to have this to go along with my 470, but this rig needs to be somebody's first double. What a deal!

Being a gun snob I normally do not recommend Sabatti double rifles. That stated,
1. Ken Owens swears by Sabatti' s
2. This Sabatti is regulated with known loads!
3. It's a 450/400 which many on this forum praise for buffalo all the way to elephant
4. At $4.600 shipped and insured for the rifle, 1 MOA Trijicon, RMR, RMR mount, dies, and loading components... what's not to like!

Good luck with your sale!

Just to add to a great gun, I have the same rifle which I’ve taken to South Africa many times and is easy to carry all day on long stalks.

Being a gun snob I normally do not recommend Sabatti double rifles. That stated,
1. Ken Owens swears by Sabatti' s
2. This Sabatti is regulated with known loads!
3. It's a 450/400 which many on this forum praise for buffalo all the way to elephant
4. At $4.600 shipped and insured for the rifle, 1 MOA Trijicon, RMR, RMR mount, dies, and loading components... what's not to like!

Good luck with your sale!
Thank you for your input. It's a good package.

Can you post a pic of the muzzle? Any other rifle you’d compare the felt recoil to?
I will post pictures of the muzzles tomorrow morning. Clean and clear, and checked by my gunsmith, African hunter, owner of a Chapuis double, and works on H&H, Westley Richards, Joseph Lang, etc.
I trust him.

Comparing recoil to others, I find this rifle a bit more than a Winchester Model 70, .375 H&H in the Alaskan model, and less than my Whitworth .458 Win Mag, loaded with 400 grain Woodleigh SP at 2250 fps.

For me, it is a bit more than the .375 H&H (and I've owned a few), it's not a perfect fit for me (off the shelf), and my Whitworth fits perfectly, so a bit less recoil.

Still very manageable.

In the same chambering, (450-400) I've owned a Ruger Number 1, an excellent rifle with nice bluing and wood. Firing this off the bench, it beat the crap out of me. Off sticks, I could manage only 4-5 shots accurately.

This Sabatti, I can fire 8-10 rounds off the bench, and 20 rounds standing off sticks.

And go home without a headache, unlike my CZ 550 in .500 Jeffery.

Easy to manage.

Curious to know the chronograph muzzle velocity of your hand loads ?
Thank you

i would bet 2050 FPS. JJ has told me this is the typical FPS most doubles were regulated to

i would bet 2050 FPS. JJ has told me this is the typical FPS most doubles were regulated to
I would be willing to bet that north Fork bullets would shoot a bit better and a bit faster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmbroseaDus

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg